What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

slippery5

Juniors
They have since 1980...almost 40-years then.

Good enough for me.
It is the most ridiculous argument / comparison I have ever heard, you have to look at what regular players were on the field that day compared to full strength & if they were a bottom 8 side anyway. Do you really think we let in 50 if our pack has JDB, Friz Sims , Vaughn & hunt on the edge?? I think not, & anyone who thinks it wouldn't have mattered is delusional. Full Stop.

Last edited:
Now now OV, I’d be more inclined to take this seriously if you actually displayed some analysis more than once in a blue moon. Repeating ‘coach’ ad nauseum isn’t actually a sophisticated analysis, or any analysis at all in fact.

4 and a half years of ineptitude against leading the comp in June 2018.

Straight Shooter

The Damo

Juniors
4 and a half years of ineptitude against leading the comp in June 2018.

Straight Shooter
3 and a half years of ineptitude I think you’ll find.
And any sophisticated analysis of a sporting team will weight recent performance more heavily than the further past.

Mann replacing nighty on the wing this year.
Dufty taking over fullback from Dugan last year
Dropping Luc early this year
The dude is way to slow to adapt and too enamoured with experience and conservative in his mindset. But there’s some examples of it happening. Not enough, but some.
I’ll admit to those, however.
Dropping Nightingale to the bench has arguably made the team worse.
He had to move Dugan as he was leaving and Dufty needed the experience.
I understood Luc to have been injured in ISP and couldn’t come back earlier.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It is the ridiculous argument / comparison I have ever heard, you have to look at what regular players were on the field that day compared to full strength & if they were a bottom 8 side anyway. Do you really think we let in 50 if our pack has JDB, Friz Sims & hunt on the edge?? I think not, & anyone who thinks it wouldn't have mattered is delusional. Full Stop.

No sure how this relates to a historical statistic spanning decades (incorporating SOO) which says that NO team has won the competition after it has conceded 50 points in a premiership game.

Anywho...

It seems you're a bit animated?

The Damo

Juniors
I’ll admit to those, however.
Dropping Nightingale to the bench has arguably made the team worse.
He had to move Dugan as he was leaving and Dufty needed the experience.
I understood Luc to have been injured in ISP and couldn’t come back earlier.
That’s fair too. He is not what you’d call agile in his ability to change. The optimist in me does look for those sort of things as glimmers of hope.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Not sure how stating a win loss record is glossing up the stats. They have been playing poorly, they’ve also won 3/5 in the rep period. If they are still playing poorly in rounds 19 and 20 after finishing the rep period that’s when it’ll be really worrying as that’s when the rubber really needs to hit the road.

If.

It says it all.

The portents don't look flash though.

No sure how this relates to a historical statistic spanning decades (incorporating SOO) which says that NO team has won the competition after it has conceded 50 points in a premiership game.

Anywho...

It seems you're a bit animated?
We haven’t won in Melbourne since 1999.
I’m not sure we are any good at breaking long running hoodoos.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mann replacing nighty on the wing this year.
Dufty taking over fullback from Dugan last year
Dropping Luc early this year
The dude is way to slow to adapt and too enamoured with experience and conservative in his mindset. But there’s some examples of it happening. Not enough, but some.

Just a 'quickie.

Provided he was fit - and yes, that a big IF - do you reckon Dugan would've made those simple tackles Dufty missed last night?

I can't get over the try where the Melbourne player didn't bother to sidestep around Dufty to score.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mary couldn’t remember thier names to tell them to go on and Flo was the first name that popped into his head?
Either that or he just hates Flo and wanted to see him smashed all night.

I wouldn't put it past him.

Allegedly McGregor attempts Suduku puzzles, but even so, cannot work out the differences between six, seven and nine.

The Damo

Juniors
Just a 'quickie.

Provided he was fit - and yes, that a big IF - do you reckon Dugan would've made those simple tackles Dufty missed last night?

I can't get over the try where the Melbourne player didn't bother to sidestep around Dufty to score.
Probably yes - IF he wasn’t getting looked after by a trainer ;)
But if Dufty or Dugan had stayed on the player he had support right there.
He was disappointing in defence last night for sure. But he’ll learn from it.

BennyV

Referee
Given Sele plays second row, I didn't understand why he didn't immediately replace the injured Host.

Or, Latimore comes on and Au Mau moves to the back row.

Could someone please educate me why these two ideas aren't practical?
Well, Sele is a middle. With his ballskills, footwork and leg speed he is a natural lock and should have played there, rather than trying to manufacture Lawrie into a lock like we did Merrin.

In saying that, Sele was the obvious one to fill in for Host, with Nighty providing small respite for both him and Leilua over the course of the game.

However, that didn’t happen because McGregor.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well, Sele is a middle. With his ballskills, footwork and leg speed he is a natural lock and should have played there, rather than trying to manufacture Lawrie into a lock like we did Merrin.

In saying that, Sele was the obvious one to fill in for Host, with Nighty providing small respite for both him and Leilua over the course of the game.

However, that didn’t happen because McGregor.

Ah Merrin, don't get me started!

So sad that his career stagnated when he was moved to lock.

Dumbest move EVER (although Debellin to halfback is a close second).

Does anyone recognise the paradigm here?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Probably yes - IF he wasn’t getting looked after by a trainer ;)
But if Dufty or Dugan had stayed on the player he had support right there.
He was disappointing in defence last night for sure. But he’ll learn from it.

I'm unsure how Dufty will learn from an experience which requires physical strength as the overriding element.

The jury is still out on that one.

Look, Dufty is an exciting player but the fact remains he still hasn't put in a top performance against any of the leading sides.

Bench
I thought we were lucky against Parramatta. Two minutes of individual brilliance got us a win.
Someone posted earlier that a friend, ex NRL player that a team can still win with 4 backs out, but with 4 forwards out and Cam Smith playing it was going to be a big ask.
We put 30 points on them, so therefore their defence was subject also.
Host going down was a big moment so early on. Nightingale played about 70 minutes, on the wing that would have been OK. Nightingale been used as a forward was a terrible decision. He was absolutely buggered in the second half.
The ISP players were not affective. They get limited game time off the bench during the season and don’t have the experience playing long minutes in first grade.
Last night exposed our underbelly. We just do not have forwards in the ISP to cover any injuries to our first grade forwards.
Just imagine if one or more forwards were out during our season to date. We would not be where we are today.
The club needs to realise we need to sign a decent front rower and need to have a clean out of the ISP of players and the ISP coach. The coach of the ISP needs to have his players ready for a transition to first grade.
I think we have got through the SOO period we’ll enough. So put this game to bed and get back on track