What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

Rich102

Staff member
Also, don't underestimate the influence of Jim Doyle on the current situation. He put Smith and Corvo in place and attracted back Harris and Blair as well as the masterstroke of Green. Since Green has been here SJ has improved dramatically.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Also, don't underestimate the influence of Jim Doyle on the current situation. He put Smith and Corvo in place and attracted back Harris and Blair as well as the masterstroke of Green. Since Green has been here SJ has improved dramatically.
Didn't Smith come under the current ceo tenure, or have I got .my timing wrong? But agree Doyle will have played a big part in the club's plan going forward.
Corvo and Harris are Kearney's kudos (they actually say it themselves) with the club making it possible.
Smith has said his role is everything else other than the coaching - I think we'd be seeing fractious outcomes by now if he wasn't being true to his word - I expect Kearney liaises with him from time to time when needed as any coach does with their head of the football dept.
Such a great team behind the team atm!!!​

sup42

Juniors
Smith quite happily admits that he likes playing the invisible man, and he also gets asked by Kearney frequently for his input.

That is Kearneys major strength over some of the other NRL coaches...he is humble and tries to get the most he can out of the the people around him.

The fact that he has two attack coaches and runs the defence exclusively shows he knows where his strengths lie.

When the Warriors defend well they look close to being unbeatable.

Tohu only agreed to come here after Kearney convinced him to take the opportunity to move away from the safety of Melbourne and become a leader in a team (He talks about that a lot as the reason he chose Warriors and uprooted his family who were very happy where they were).

Man Management credit where it is due.

Getting Ah Mau for not a red cent more than his Dragons contract is a first for the Warriors.

JJ

Immortal
Smith has been huge I reckon

Kearney has had a great season, much better than pretty much anyone expected. Test of course is to back up for a few seasons, the comp is tough. No mistake

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Quick question - would Brian Smith and Alex Corvos name come under fire if we didn't make the 8 this year? or would Kearney have received all the blame...

sup42

Juniors
Quick question - would Brian Smith and Alex Corvos name come under fire if we didn't make the 8 this year? or would Kearney have received all the blame...
All criticism goes to the head coach.

All praise in Kearneys case goes to anyone around him.

Has been that way since he won a tournament with Benetts help, even though Bennett has come out and said that he only spoke to that squad once when Kearney asked him to.

Kiwi tall poppy.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
All criticism goes to the head coach.

All praise in Kearneys case goes to anyone around him.

Has been that way since he won a tournament with Benetts help, even though Bennett has come out and said that he only spoke to that squad once when Kearney asked him to.

Kiwi tall poppy.
I know what you're saying but in THAT case in particular, Bennett did have a big influence. I saw a documentary once on sky where the players gave insights into the RLWC '08 campaign and they spoke highly of Bennett.

Smith and everyone thats helped get us to the 8 deserves their props. It's a just little annoying when those names just surface now. I didnt even know Smith was even at the Warriors! I didnt hear about his involvement through out the season.

JJ

Immortal
I know what you're saying but in THAT case in particular, Bennett did have a big influence. I saw a documentary once on sky where the players gave insights into the RLWC '08 campaign and they spoke highly of Bennett.

Smith and everyone thats helped get us to the 8 deserves their props. It's a just little annoying when those names just surface now. I didnt even know Smith was even at the Warriors! I didnt hear about his involvement through out the season.
If you weren't aware Smith was at the Warriors, what have you been doing?

Obviously everything is working well - to give credit to one person is doing a disservice to everyone, and to blame one person when things aren't working is doing a similar disservice - but coaches know they'll get it in the back should things not go well, it comes with the role...

We've seen with the Eels, Souths, Cowboys, and us that things can go one way or the other very quickly - even the Roosters have had a terrible season... the best clubs just continue to make the 8 year in year out... that's what we need, and tbh deserve

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
If you weren't aware Smith was at the Warriors, what have you been doing?

Obviously everything is working well - to give credit to one person is doing a disservice to everyone, and to blame one person when things aren't working is doing a similar disservice - but coaches know they'll get it in the back should things not go well, it comes with the role...

We've seen with the Eels, Souths, Cowboys, and us that things can go one way or the other very quickly - even the Roosters have had a terrible season... the best clubs just continue to make the 8 year in year out... that's what we need, and tbh deserve
What have I been doing? I think I've been here EVERY WEEK discussing the Warriors, need proof? lol. Dont remember any Smith talk during the season.

Look, lets not pretend we discuss Smith on a regular. Especially when we're losing.

Also I have given Smith his praise. Please re-read my post underneath if you missed it earlier...
Smith and everyone thats helped get us to the 8 deserves their props.

Kearny was on NRL 360 tonight and looked bloody tired.
Highlights:

Talking to Luke and staying on next year.
Mannering to have a role with the club next year (in talks).
Green should be back, need to see how he pulls up over next few days.

Went to the captains last week in sydney. Had a chat to Corvo. Just basically said thank you for changing the outlook of the club in regards to the strength and performance dept. He kept saying thank you for the nice words but i just said i was delivering the message on behalf of everyone.

I reckon the change started with him

vvvrulz

Coach
Bodene Thompson gassed, with hands on hips, seven minutes into a game v Parra is an image I won't forget.

<insert name> gassed, with hands on hips, <insert minutes> into a game v <insert team> is an image I won’t forget.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Read an interesting observation about pre game warm ups following the latest Bledisloe slaughter from an Aussie journo. They said the Wobblies were standing around throwing standard passes to each other while the ABs were practicing throwing long passes at full pace- and we know who sets the benchmark for aerobic fitness for pretty much any team in both codes.

Latest posts