What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mad Monday

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's your solution?

And before you come up with "at their own leagues club" (public venue) or "at Belmore" (reporters, listening devices and helicopters)... try something else.

These cretins are out to get them come hell or high water, that's the story.

agreed, maybe public backlash at sht journos, maybe the club and nrl growing some balls and calling the tele to account, maybe las vegas (just not with the Burgess boys lol)?

On one hand I have sympathy for the players, worked hard all year and letting hair down like most 20 something year olds lads would. On other hand they are very highly paid employees who have a responsibility to the games brand and, hatred of news ltd aside, chucking up in the street, being passed out etc isnt a great look for the games elite.

Exsilium

First Grade
There are discreet places they can go. Just got to be mindful of the public eye.

For instance, last August I was in a location where three senior Roosters had a good old time in the executive lounge. Shook hands, had a laugh and off they went undistrubed.

No media present but prying eyes are everywhere so it’s tough for them.

If the media saw what I did, careers would be over.

Leave the merkins alone I say. We’ve done the same shit I’d say.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Ey?

Anyway I heard Hadley on ch 9 describe it as the middle of the CBD.
What bullshit.

It is literally under the harbour bridge.
It’s on a hairpin corner in a quite back street.
Across the road is a car park and then the bloody water.
There is no other business nearby.
Terraces across the road.
And on a rainy Monday the only pubic there would’ve been the cocks from the DT with their zoom lenses in the car park.

Low merkins.

I know mate. I was just messing around.

I know the pub. It’s pretty well hidden away. But still pretty naive for a footy team to think they’re going to get away with a mad Monday in any city pub without getting noticed in this day and age IMO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are discreet places they can go. Just got to be mindful of the public eye.

For instance, last August I was in a location where three senior Roosters had a good old time in the executive lounge. Shook hands, had a laugh and off they went undistrubed.

No media present but prying eyes are everywhere so it’s tough for them.

If the media saw what I did, careers would be over.

Leave the merkins alone I say. We’ve done the same shit I’d say.

TBF though if you were being paid what they are and part of that contract was dont be a drunken merkin would you still have done the things you did? lads will be lads but lets not kid ourselves that in this day and age of brand image and sht media and other such BS it doesn't matter.

Apparently Todd rang the clubs and told them no mad monday shenanigans just a couple of days earlier, there will be much angry staring going on at NRLHQ.

simmo1

First Grade
The pathway back from the bridge climb goes right near the balcony the Dogs players were on so a very good chance they could seen, I know because I am a regular at the pub and it is fun waiving to the bridge climbers and them waving back when they go past.

Yeah, sounds like a real hoot...

___

Juniors
Yeah, sounds like a real hoot...
loltap.gif
loltap.gif
loltap.gif
loltap.gif
loltap.gif

___

Juniors
But still visible to the media, and therefore the public as shown, by the pics taken.
No, it wasn't visible to the public.

Go have a look where the venue is (right next to railway line on Harbour Bridge at The Rocks). Can't get more secluded.

Go look where the private terrace is (3 stories up, tucked away with no side or rear access).

Now look at the photo.

Elliott is captured front on, not from below (else the angle would be different).

Screenshots are from Google Maps (remember the Street view cars cameras are the height of a tall 4WD, and extend about 1.5m odd from the roof of the car - so angle is not that of a standing person.

You would not have seen this at street level (nor anyone walking past).

Put simply, there is absolutely no way these photos were taken from a standing position. Standing on a 4WD possibly (at a pinch), but most likely taken from a hired scissor lift with a 200+mm telephoto zoom.

In other words, this was pre-medidated by the media. As for how they knew, probably staff / a staff member tipped the media off that the Bulldogs would be there.

https://www.nospam25.net.au/forum/index.php?attachments/upload_2018-9-4_14-49-27-png.7177/

Valheru

Coach
TBF though if you were being paid what they are and part of that contract was dont be a drunken merkin would you still have done the things you did

Yes

Probably worse actually given i wouldnt have been on a pizza delivery driver's uni budget.

DC_fan

Coach
Do you fail basic comprehension?

1. This was behind closed doors apart from Montoya passing out outside. The nude photos were taken by a telephoto lens that somehow got vision from level 3. there's no building opposite that hotel which means the photographer was either a long way away or used a scissor lift or climbed a palm tree to get the snaps.

2. When they put it 'behind closed doors' completely six years ago at Belmore, 9 News went further - they planted a journo at the gate to bait players as they entered, used listening devices to record audio, had paps trying to get photos through a side gate, and then when that wasn't enough? PUT A f**kING HELICOPTER OVER THE GROUND.

The problem could be solved by the media not looking for a moral outrage story - especially by putting it front page.

There is nothing more I detest than the paparazzi, or members of the media using paparazzi type tactics. We all know what the media can be like. But people still read papers and watch the news. Stuff like this sells papers or gets viewers. It also gets threads like this going where we have at least 150 responses. If people didn’t want to read about it than they could, maybe should not buy the Telegraph. In today’s paper, the same edition as the Bulldogs story, the Telegraph crowed about the large numbers of readers the paper has. So whose fault is it that the Telegraph runs such stories, them or their readers who seem to crave over such stories, buying the paper and encouraging the paper to continue such tactics. It’s like the drug people, who is at fault, the users who demand it or the dealers who sell it.

Clubs know that they will be watched on Mad Monday, so like it or not they have to take measures, maybe even extreme measures to ensure they don’t get caught. Or, just maybe the better option is not to do stupid things like the Bulldogs did.

Timbo

Staff member
This 'they're getting paid a lot therefore they shouldn't be out' bullshit irritates me.

Where are the cameras looking over the shoulders of 25 year old bankers disappearing three at a time into the mens rooms around Martin Place on a Friday night? They're being paid a lot, shouldn't they be at home, out of the public eye?

This is parasitic journalism, pure and simple. The league should be calling out the Tele on this, saying if they're going to treat players this way then their press passes will be revoked for matches.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
What's your solution?

And before you come up with "at their own leagues club" (public venue) or "at Belmore" (reporters, listening devices and helicopters)... try something else.

These cretins are out to get them come hell or high water, that's the story.
And it's blown up in their faces with just about everyone correctly and immediately calling it out for the bullshit it is.

Mick Benson

Juniors
TBF though if you were being paid what they are and part of that contract was dont be a drunken merkin would you still have done the things you did? lads will be lads but lets not kid ourselves that in this day and age of brand image and sht media and other such BS it doesn't matter.
Point taken but they're young blokes, nobody's going to be able to prevent occasional drunken antics. I'm sure the club does its best to mitigate the risk (choice of venue seems to be deliberate in this case) but the problem here is journalist behaviour.

DC_fan

Coach
This 'they're getting paid a lot therefore they shouldn't be out' bullshit irritates me.

Where are the cameras looking over the shoulders of 25 year old bankers disappearing three at a time into the mens rooms around Martin Place on a Friday night? They're being paid a lot, shouldn't they be at home, out of the public eye?

This is parasitic journalism, pure and simple. The league should be calling out the Tele on this, saying if they're going to treat players this way then their press passes will be revoked for matches.

Very few, if any members of the public give a stuff about what bankers do in their private lives.

The NRL would never publicly call out any newspaper, especially one like the Telegraph who is the games leading media promoter.

Timbo

Staff member
Very few, if any members of the public give a stuff about what bankers do in their private lives.

The NRL would never publicly call out any newspaper, especially one like the Telegraph who is the games leading media promoter.

What, so just because people decide that they have a right to know what happens in your private life, they do?

Everyone on this forum has decided they have a right to know what you do behind closed doors DC Fan. We don't care if you agree with us or not, we have that right. Please immediately change everything about yourself, because we don't like it. Cool with that?

It's utter nonsense.

Latest posts