What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

mongoose

Coach
Once every 50 years you can expect to see more than 20k Cronulla fans in one location lol.

Have they heard of the cronulla sharks?

65k sharks fans at the GF? lol hyperbole. So there was only 18k neutrals and Storm fans? There was that many Storm fans at the 2017 GF I attended. I know people dont like the Sharks but pretty sure there would be quite a few thousand neutrals at every GF.

I went to that GF and there was a f**k load of sharks fans, i was surprised myself how many there was. 65k is not far off...

Gonzalez

Juniors
I'm a foot in both camps on this one. On one hand the NRL shouldn't cower away and worry about what the AFL is doing - but at the same time if they can schedule the match friendly enough to not clash with a big AFL game maybe they should consider that too

I went to the storm v panthers game the week before and paid $70 for a seat 15 rows from the top of the stand. What are ticket prices like in sydney?

greenBV4

Bench
Some of the Storms best crowds have been because of walk ups from an AFL game that has just finished (ANZAC day for example)

I was sitting at a bar on the river before last weeks game next to a table of about 10 Demons fans, they told me that they were looking forward to going to the storm game, but realised they couldn't go when they scheduled it against the demon's

And then when I was at the game, the people next to me were heading over the to the G after the game for the last quarter of the AFL

so to say that there is no crossover of fans in Melbourne is outright ridiculous

The NRL definitely shouldn't cower from the AFL, but when they have the choice of 2 different nights for 2 different games and a competitors schedule is already out, if you have the opportunity to you put it on the night nothing else is on, you do it - but the NRL manage to not do this either week of the Storms finals..

carcharias

Immortal
Some of the Storms best crowds have been because of walk ups from an AFL game that has just finished (ANZAC day for example)

I was sitting at a bar on the river before last weeks game next to a table of about 10 Demons fans, they told me that they were looking forward to going to the storm game, but realised they couldn't go when they scheduled it against the demon's

And then when I was at the game, the people next to me were heading over the to the G after the game for the last quarter of the AFL

so to say that there is no crossover of fans in Melbourne is outright ridiculous

The NRL definitely shouldn't cower from the AFL, but when they have the choice of 2 different nights for 2 different games and a competitors schedule is already out, if you have the opportunity to you put it on the night nothing else is on, you do it - but the NRL manage to not do this either week of the Storms finals..

What about all the other AFL fans whose team didn’t play at the same time?

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
What about all the other AFL fans whose didn’t team didn’t play at the same time?
Well if they are purely AFL fans they don't care about the storm
If they are fans of both codes and their team wasn't the one playing they probably would of went
Some might of also been scared of trying to get in on public transport or finding a park with the massive crowd

Honestly though I can't speak for them, Im just going off what I was told by a group of demons fans.

The 2016 GF definitely had 60K sharks fans minimum. I was right next to the 3 bays of storm fans and that’s the only place they were in abundance.

Red you are dead wrong if you think otherwise.

Pommy

Coach
Once every 50 years you can expect to see more than 20k Cronulla fans in one location lol.

Have they heard of the cronulla sharks?

65k sharks fans at the GF? lol hyperbole. So there was only 18k neutrals and Storm fans? There was that many Storm fans at the 2017 GF I attended. I know people dont like the Sharks but pretty sure there would be quite a few thousand neutrals at every GF.

I bet it wasn’t far off 60,000 sharks fans at that final. Plus there were no neutrals nobody wanted storm to win.

Suitman

Post Whore
Off course there are neutrals at every grand final. Fans of all teams, who are members, who think their team might make the GF, purchase tickets in the pre-members sale (which happens months before the GF) in the hope that their team will make it. It's happened every year for years.
The photos above are disingenuous because they are photos of the sections where tickets are released for the 2 GF teams in the week leading up to the game. The photos above are of those sections.
They are no representation of the amount of a particular teams fans dominance of a crowd.
In 2009, there was a shit load of Eels fans at the north end of ANZ. There was a shit load of Storm fans at the southern. Yet in between, there was a shit load of neutrals who had chosen a team on the day.
Most were supporting Parramatta, not Melbourne, but NEVER would I claim that there were 65000 Eels fans there that day, even though there may have been that many hoping they would win.

This argument is just stupid.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Have any of you not seen the videos from the crowd of that 2016 GF, to me it looked like at least 70k were Sharks fans?

Latest posts