What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

lingard

Coach
If we do well next year would you be happy to see BA remain coach?

No. He'll have been here six years. He can be proud of the way he led the club through some very difficult times, and I think history will probably look kindly on his tenure at Parramatta. But he is very one-dimensional when it comes to tactics and strategies, and I think his overall recruitment/retention record leaves a lot to be desired. It's time for a change.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No. He'll have been here six years. He can be proud of the way he led the club through some very difficult times, and I think history will probably look kindly on his tenure at Parramatta. But he is very one-dimensional when it comes to tactics and strategies, and I think his overall recruitment/retention record leaves a lot to be desired. It's time for a change.
Fair enough, Ivor.

I'm OK if we replace him but it needs to be the right person. There are a lot of other equally shit options out there.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He might be trying to get close to them in a very intense way. Maybe he's freaking them out.
That's true. Here's a few of the things that my mate Mick told me he is doing:

1. He keeps calling calling Gutho on the phone and breathing heavily before hanging up.
2. On at least 3 occasions now he has hid in the back of Kaysa's car and waited for him after training.
3. He keeps referring to Jarryd as 'Jerrold'.
4. He's never actually spoken to Will Smith but regularly stares at him.
5. He always eats fruit in front of the players. Particularly bananas which he does in a deliberately suggestive manner.
6. He once delivered a game plan as a rock opera, complete with falsetto backing vocals.

Fair enough, Ivor.

I'm OK if we replace him but it needs to be the right person. There are a lot of other equally shit options out there.
That's a binary view though. There's not only right persons and wrong persons. But if we're going to view it that way then Arthur is the wrong person, so we don't lose much even if we swap him for another wrong person. For me Lingard's post was my thoughts in a nutshell. I like Arthur but I don't think he's a great coach. Sticking with him does feel like settling for mediocrity (sorry). I know people want to reward him for sticking solid through the cap scandal but the reality is that loyalty is an admirable quality in a person, but less desirable in a coach.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That's a binary view though. There's not only right persons and wrong persons. But if we're going to view it that way then Arthur is the wrong person, so we don't lose much even if we swap him for another wrong person. For me Lingard's post was my thoughts in a nutshell. I like Arthur but I don't think he's a great coach. Sticking with him does feel like settling for mediocrity (sorry). I know people want to reward him for sticking solid through the cap scandal but the reality is that loyalty is an admirable quality in a person, but less desirable in a coach.

How about this then? If we replace him with someone, we need to be comfortable that they can do a better job.

I don't think Arthur is great coach but he isn't a shit coach. Coaching Parramatta isn't easy and there have been countless factors that have contributed to our demise during his tenure. Those factors are the same ones that have seen us not perform well during the tenure of Hagan, Anderson, Kearney and Stuart as well. If we are relying on a 'bounceback' effect then that is the wrong way to look at things. A change of coach alone arguably won't help in the long term. Also, if we change the other factors (which I have previously mentioned) its highly likely that we will start performing well on the field.

Besides, who is a great coach? Bennett? Bellamy? Who else? Beyond a few elite coaches, I reckon the majority are all of equal ability.

Avenger

Immortal
What do you see in Hollbrook?
More hair than Arthur.

On a serious note mate I think he is the guy we should go for. He has an Eels’ background, coaches at a huge club in the UK and from all reports is a good coach and person.

I’d give him a 2 year deal and do it prior to round 13. That’s when I hear we will make the call on BA.

Latest posts