What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

vvvrulz

Coach
Up until this season every game i went to in sydney i always made comment that the pre game warmups were very very timid at best

I remember someone saying that our “warmups” consisted of Tomkins having a dig while a bunch of other lads lazily kicked a few bombs around

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Cameron George was on the news and was credited for the management side of the Warriors success. Its funny no-one mentioned this guy when we were crediting everyone just before our last round roobin games. RTS even crediting him for the good simplistic changes he's made to the team. News also crediting him for getting RTS signed for us on a 4 year deal. No Corvo, no Doyle, just Cameron George...

JJ

Immortal
Cameron George was on the news and was credited for the management side of the Warriors success. Its funny no-one mentioned this guy when we were crediting everyone just before our last round roobin games. RTS even crediting him for the good simplistic changes he's made to the team. News also crediting him for getting RTS signed for us on a 4 year deal. No Corvo, no Doyle, just Cameron George...
It won't be one thing, but Cameron George, Brian Smith and Alex Corvo are collectively the key things I think, and presumably Doyle was key in those appointments

Still as the Eels and Cowboys showed the NRL is a slippery slope, any complacency or return to laziness and we will be out the back door so quickly we'll be dizzy

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
It won't be one thing, but Cameron George, Brian Smith and Alex Corvo are collectively the key things I think, and presumably Doyle was key in those appointments

Still as the Eels and Cowboys showed the NRL is a slippery slope, any complacency or return to laziness and we will be out the back door so quickly we'll be dizzy
The news made it out that he was the main man behind the success. Its funny how those of us that care to know about the management side of things, never brought up this man (in our recent praises) and gave him the credit he deserves.

Theres no mention of Smith, Corvo or Doyle in the latest segment that Ive provided below, I guess some of us will continue to assume that they had a major or some input as well. But heres reports from the media...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/102882832/how-cameron-george-fixed-the-warriors
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...ge-has-club-on-track-to-next-grand-final.html

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Met a guy not long ago who used to work underneath George, he said that he had a fearsome reputation and that if your phone rang and it was him calling, you were shitting yourself

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think they all deserve credit from the top down. Doyle was the guy who came in and got the business focus right. Scurrah has been good at flogging jerseys but not a lot else, Doyle got the club’s high level direction on the right track by hiring the right people. Once we got a competent manager on board in George that in turn began to drive the improvements in the football side of things and Corvoa nd Kearney have done their parts too.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Warriors fitness levels weren't up to it in the finals match against Penrith this year. All well and good getting a team fit at the beginning of the season, but there has to be a plan to maintain until the end.

I got the feeling his year that Corvo flogged them so hard in the off season to get them up to speed for the early season that they’d burned out a bit by mid season. Hopefully with a year plus of that regimen under their belts they can maintain it better in 2009.

Matua

Bench
I got the feeling his year that Corvo flogged them so hard in the off season to get them up to speed for the early season that they’d burned out a bit by mid season. Hopefully with a year plus of that regimen under their belts they can maintain it better in 2009.
Agreed. They actually might have needed to ease of a bit earlier. Hopefully they can sort it for next year, that match was depressing.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I remember a similar thing happening with Karmichael Hunt when he went to AFL. Whatever else you think of AFL their aerobic fitness levels are off the chart, he went pretty well after his initial period of adjustment but kind of burned out from the workload after midseason. Bodies need time to adjust to workloads.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I was thinking the same thing. When Corvo came here, some of us was jumping up and down in each others arms in that he was the answer. I remained a little skeptical because if he was so great, why was he out of a job and I think its because his previous clubs found out that players struggle to maintain it. I think he is good at getting teams to peak or near peak fitness pretty quickly but he struggles with a thing called 'training periodisation' or sports periodisation.

Fitness was a factor but the REAL issue is what we talked about at the start of the year and thats our pack. We saw against our loss to the Rabbits, Sharks, Storm, Panthers and Roosters just how much of a pretender we were. When they really wanted to beat us, they did. Notice something in common that those teams have...thats right a good bunch of forwards and those games is where we lost the battle up front.

Last edited:
The news made it out that he was the main man behind the success. Its funny how those of us that care to know about the management side of things, never brought up this man (in our recent praises) and gave him the credit he deserves.

Theres no mention of Smith, Corvo or Doyle in the latest segment that Ive provided below, I guess some of us will continue to assume that they had a major or some input as well. But heres reports from the media...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/102882832/how-cameron-george-fixed-the-warriors
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...ge-has-club-on-track-to-next-grand-final.html
Some of the on field stuff has been classy, tributes to players and refs retiring.

It works two fold, makes us potentially a more attractive club to play for.
Two sponsors like the feel good stories they can be attached to.

No off field stuff this year either by players? Another win for future sponsors.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, I am not seeing sense in this - we've jumped the gun and extended coaches before - Kearney's had one decent season, I get the desire for consistency etc, but I'd have preferred waiting, in all seriousness it's not like anyone is desperate to pinch him from us yet

Yep they seem to have got the Kearney and Johnson situations arse backwards.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Let me remind us all that Kearney did say that his 'process' is a three year one and 2019 will be the third year. So according to Stephen (who had a good year last year might I add) next year should see us do really well (e.g. semi-grand finalists).

A lot of lessons to be learnt from this year, such as, the STUPID idea to field our top team against the Raiders which resulted in RTS and Mannering getting injured but hey, many here we're looking at 'IF we win and IF we win by this then MAYBE...' a lot of IFs and MAYBEs is what we went all in on in that Raiders game. In the end, I can say, I told you so but hey thats Kearneys call and he wouldve learnt from that.

Let me remind us all that Kearney did say that his 'process' is a three year one and 2019 will be the third year. So according to Stephen (who had a good year last year might I add) next year should see us do really well (e.g. semi-grand finalists).

A lot of lessons to be learnt from this year, such as, the STUPID idea to field our top team against the Raiders which resulted in RTS and Mannering getting injured but hey, many here we're looking at 'IF we win and IF we win by this then MAYBE...' a lot of IFs and MAYBEs is what we went all in on in that Raiders game. In the end, I can say, I told you so but hey thats Kearneys call and he wouldve learnt from that.

It wasn't really a stupid idea to field the best team in that last round. With the competition so tight we were still vying for a better finish, perhaps 6th. Yes it was big ask but we know what surprises the NRL can dish up each round. The head scratcher decisions of his bench really need to be addressed. How many times did we have a back that never got used during the game? And when they did come on the game was already decided? Hope he improves on this first for 2019.