What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Demetriou

possm

Coach
I don't follow them particularly closely, but from what I can gather the catalyst for change was the coaching style. (The squad didn't change but they managed to keep Reynolds on the park for extended periods which helped a lot - unfortunately for us).

I subscribe to the theory that Madge was a detail man, and had the team drilled so hard that they were mentally fatigued. Madge has ways that he expects the team to play, even if that means jamming a square peg into a round hole. This sort of coaching works really well when a team has been lacking in detail, and allowed to play whatever Is in front of them. You don't coach all of the footy out of a team in one or two seasons, hence they won a premiership early in Madge's tenure. Eventually though, the mental fatigue effects their footy, and they stop enjoying themselves, which I think explains the poor results at the end of Madge's time there.

The muscle memory was still there when Seibold took over, but he loosened the reins, and gave them the freedom to play off the back of Cook's runs. Cook would look wide, and the rest of the team pushed up because they knew he would. Worked especially well for someone like Cody Walker, who is a gifted natural footballer.

Change in style having a positive effect is a phenomenon that I see in patterns in the game. It's particularly evident when a rookie coach is given the reins after a coach is sacked mid season. Think roosters when Freddy started or knights when Rick stone took over. Neither of those two ended up being great coaches, but the players responded to the change.

How this applies to Seibold at Brisbane I have no idea. Last year Wayne had given the team a lot of freedom to play, with varied success.
Exactly, a change in coach = a change in style = a greater chance at success for SGI. Why can't management understand this?

giboz71

First Grade
I think you have missed the point to a certain degree.
Let's look at his time at St. George.
He did everything asked of him in grand style.
The Head coaching job was up for grabs and he was an obvious candidate.
McGregor was caretaker and the time came for the club to make a call on the permanent FG gig.
McGregor had no CV, had not been assistant to anyone. He had no results on the board except a couple of bush premierships and two ordinary years in reserve grade. - in fact he was not qualified to coach FG by any measure.
JD not only won back to back ISP titles with two totally different teams, he was also assistant to Green as Nth Queensland won the title in 2015.
He was already qualified to coach FG at that point in time.
So given those two rookie choices, our board chose McGregor.
That is the real issue when it comes to Demetriou.
Subsequently he was offered a job by Bennett at the Broncos.
Not a bad recommendation in terms of his ability.
The rest is speculation.

I’m not debating whether he should have been our choice instead of Mary. Maybe he should have?

I’m just challenging the notion that when he decided to leave, it was a terrible decision by the club to let go a head coach in waiting with the assumption that he was so good, he’d easily land a job elsewhere.

Three years later and he’s still scratching around as an assistant, in a period where multiple teams changed coaches (5 this year alone). In that time, guys like Garth Brennan and Trent Barrett were handed debut coaching gigs. Not exactly coaching giants right ?

So my point is, only Dragons fans seem to think he’s a ready made NRL coach while the rest of the NRL don’t seem to think so.

grouch

First Grade
Garth Brennan was "scratching around as an assistant" for 10 years before he landed a head coaching job.

Your point is meaningless no matter how many times you repeat it

ps Kurt Mann is a Queensland u20's rep who played in finals games for Melbourne before joining us and topping our tryscorers list despite playing half a season. Don't see how that's a negative connotation

ouryears

Bench
Well if he takes over the Souths job when Bennett retires as you suggest, I’ll happily admit I was wrong.
Understand your apprehension giboz, I think Bennett taking him wherever he goes, speaks volumes for Demetriou, though I do realise nothing is a safe bet.

giboz71

First Grade
Garth Brennan was "scratching around as an assistant" for 10 years before he landed a head coaching job.

Your point is meaningless no matter how many times you repeat it

ps Kurt Mann is a Queensland u20's rep who played in finals games for Melbourne before joining us and topping our tryscorers list despite playing half a season. Don't see how that's a negative connotation

The reference to Kurt Mann is because like Demetriou, his actual abilities seems to be overstated by many Dragons fans, largely because of a perceived snubbing by Dragons management (ie Kurt continually on the bench, Jason not given the head coaching gig etc.)

My point is, if these abilities are actually accurate, both should have taken their chances elsewhere. Kurt signed a new contract when Widdop, Hunt, Lafai and Aitken signed long term deals. They all play in his preferred positions. His only option now is to seemingly convert to a hooker in Nathan Brown's system. As stated, Demetriou is still following Bennett around.

Now Kurt is a decent footballer for sure and I hope he stays, but the amount of times I hear Kurt has been dicked around by the club is endless. He's had options to leave, there just haven't been any takers. Demetriou may end up being an NRL head coach one day, but at this stage, there is nothing telling me we should have handed him our head coaching job.

The way I see it, I don;t see how the club has treated either of these guys unfairly?

A couple of performances the nrl team put in while JD was filling in for the clueless one suggests he'd be a better option
It's hard to judge JD on one performance and to make conclusions about his ability but what we did at Kogarah against the ultimate premiers that night was nothing short of incredible.
Just the style of football they played and the energy they showed was refreshing given the rubbish we dished up during the 2016 season.
In fact it totally showed McGregor up and embarrassed him.
Talk about backing the wrong horse...

The reference to Kurt Mann is because like Demetriou, his actual abilities seems to be overstated by many Dragons fans, largely because of a perceived snubbing by Dragons management (ie Kurt continually on the bench, Jason not given the head coaching gig etc.)

My point is, if these abilities are actually accurate, both should have taken their chances elsewhere. Kurt signed a new contract when Widdop, Hunt, Lafai and Aitken signed long term deals. They all play in his preferred positions. His only option now is to seemingly convert to a hooker in Nathan Brown's system. As stated, Demetriou is still following Bennett around.

Now Kurt is a decent footballer for sure and I hope he stays, but the amount of times I hear Kurt has been dicked around by the club is endless. He's had options to leave, there just haven't been any takers. Demetriou may end up being an NRL head coach one day, but at this stage, there is nothing telling me we should have handed him our head coaching job.

The way I see it, I don;t see how the club has treated either of these guys unfairly?
But that's what I mean.
Comparing the fortunes of Kurt Mann with JD doesn't make sense.
One's a footballer and the other a coach.
Totally different set of criteria and circumstances.
Kurt Mann has been dicked around for the simple reason that McGregor refuses to pick his team on form.
If Lafai and Aitkin in particular were playing like busted arses, Mann should have been given many more opportunities to grab a permanent spot in the backline. Especially in the centres.
I think he is a better option than both the others and has been from the get go.
Sitting on the bench as a utility is just a compromise.
As for JD, I think I've made my point many times over.
The decision to appoint McGregor and not Demetriou was not made on merit or ability.
That is a St. George problem not a reflection on JD's suitability to coach FG.

I’m not debating whether he should have been our choice instead of Mary. Maybe he should have?

I’m just challenging the notion that when he decided to leave, it was a terrible decision by the club to let go a head coach in waiting with the assumption that he was so good, he’d easily land a job elsewhere.

Three years later and he’s still scratching around as an assistant, in a period where multiple teams changed coaches (5 this year alone). In that time, guys like Garth Brennan and Trent Barrett were handed debut coaching gigs. Not exactly coaching giants right ?

So my point is, only Dragons fans seem to think he’s a ready made NRL coach while the rest of the NRL don’t seem to think so.
Well OK..."the rest of the NRL" is a sweeping statement.
Would be interested to know what the facts are about JD's last 3 years.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
NRL clubs are far from infallible and quite often make the wrong choice. You don't have to look far to see proof of this *stares at navel*. The fact he hasn't landed the top gig somewhere doesn't prove anything.
Old news but if JD is not a very large upgrade on jet ski then the world really is flat

Brutalitops

Juniors
Well there you go, sack Mary and offer JD a 1 year deal with options in favour of the Club. He will ensure our juniors will progress and make good use of the bench. My goodness, he may even have a plan B and a plan C.
Sacking Mary after a month of pre season is not gonna happen, but hiring JD now with the goal to take over at the end of Mary's contract seems to be an option.

Unfortunately it doesn't make much sense to sack mary in December 2018. If it was going to happen it would have been August, but keeping him on after that, only to sack during preseason isn't gonna happen

possm

Coach
Sacking Mary after a month of pre season is not gonna happen, but hiring JD now with the goal to take over at the end of Mary's contract seems to be an option.

Unfortunately it doesn't make much sense to sack mary in December 2018. If it was going to happen it would have been August, but keeping him on after that, only to sack during preseason isn't gonna happen
There are many on here who think there is never a good time to sack Mary. I do not understand this thinking because the guy seems to really have nothing to offer.

Mary and JD did not get on so I'm sure JD will not accept an offer while Mary is head coach. Don't you think Mary has had more than a fair go? I do and because I am tired of seeing season after season getting wasted, I am looking forward to the day when a new coach arrives who can give the boys the best chance to win a comp.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Demetriou has a far better record in the lower grades than Brennan and Barrett, why he hasn't been offered a first grade job is rather a mystery. But I reckon he'll be a perfect fit for the Rabbits in a couple of years time for the first grade job. I'm just dirty he won't be coaching us .

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
Demetriou has a far better record in the lower grades than Brennan and Barrett, why he hasn't been offered a first grade job is rather a mystery. But I reckon he'll be a perfect fit for the Rabbits in a couple of years time for the first grade job.

Well he’s been sacked by the Broncos and there’s no guarantee he’ll end up at Souths either (according to the media).

So he’s not even an assistant at the moment (let alone a head coach). I do suspect he’ll likely end up at Souths in some capacity.

Same report said that the Broncos rejected Bennett’s proposal to install him as Broncos head coach in 2021 (presumably after his retirement).

I’m guessing the Broncos had already seen Bennett pull that move with the Dragons and Steve Price.

No wonder they said no.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I d
Well he’s been sacked by the Broncos and there’s no guarantee he’ll end up at Souths either (according to the media).

So he’s not even an assistant at the moment (let alone a head coach). I do suspect he’ll likely end up at Souths in some capacity.

Same report said that the Broncos rejected Bennett’s proposal to install him as Broncos head coach in 2021 (presumably after his retirement).

I’m guessing the Broncos had already seen Bennett make that move with the Dragons and Steve Price.

No wonder they said no.
I don’t think they want anything to do with Bennett in any shape or form anymore, the donkeys. The six premierships where he was at the helm probably mean nothing to their management and board.That he was at the helm that is

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Demetriou has a far better record in the lower grades than Brennan and Barrett, why he hasn't been offered a first grade job is rather a mystery. But I reckon he'll be a perfect fit for the Rabbits in a couple of years time for the first grade job. I'm just dirty he won't be coaching us .

Brennan has won two premierships at NSW Cup level and also U20s level. Pretty sure he has been doing it for longer too. He was probably the next. Not really sure of Barrett's credentials but being a former NRL veteran helped.