What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Demetriou

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Brennan has won two premierships at NSW Cup level and also U20s level. Pretty sure he has been doing it for longer too. He was probably the next. Not really sure of Barrett's credentials but being a former NRL veteran helped.
JD won nsw cup, qld cup, interstate challenge with both states and had a big part in Cowboys premiership win in 15 as first grade assistant as posted on here earlier. I guess he didn't have Gus Merrcurio Gould pushing his barrow though

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
JD won nsw cup, qld cup, interstate challenge with both states and had a big part in Cowboys premiership win in 15 as first grade assistant as posted on here earlier. I guess he didn't have Gus Merrcurio Gould pushing his barrow though

Brennan also won an interstate challenge if you want to count that. My point was based on record, Demetriou is not 'far better' than Brennan. They are comparable enough, they went for the same job and Brennan was preferred. He seems to be the next coach that has worked their way through the ranks. Demetriou could be the next one, he can't be too far away, maybe just needs a couple of extra years. If he was assistant to Bennett at Souths and then took over that would work. Adam O'Brien would be an interesting one to watch as well, based on a long tenure at Melbourne and now signed on as Roosters assistant coach.

BennyV

Referee
Yep fair enough.

And as others have said, he was interviewed for both the Broncos and the Titans role so there is interest.

My question, is what stopped these clubs from hiring him? His pedigree is very good with a great record as both an NRL assistant and premierships at NSW and QLD Cup level.

And perhaps that's how a lot of clubs see him. As a great assistant, much like Jason Taylor and John Cartwright. I still fail to see the evidence he would make a good NRL coach?
You’re making out like it was JD or no one, and those clubs chose no one.

At Broncos, they went with Seibold, who has a similar resume to JD with the added bonus of a successful year of first grade coaching under his belt. Any other club (hopefully including ours) would do the same.

Souffs went for Bennett. No real explanation needed. Likewise with Maguire, Cleary and even Hasler (experience and success is obvious high on the priority list). Even Brennan and Arthur were basically his equals when they took head coaching gigs. The fact that all these guys pipped him at the post, considering many of the politics and other factors, in no way means he is a poor option. Simply that there were better options, or that clubs weren’t willing to risk a rookie.

Compared with Mary, however, is an entirely different story.

(Ps not saying that we should hire him, but given the choice you’d be a crazy person not to choose him over McGregor).

Crush

Coach
The reference to Kurt Mann is because like Demetriou, his actual abilities seems to be overstated by many Dragons fans, largely because of a perceived snubbing by Dragons management (ie Kurt continually on the bench, Jason not given the head coaching gig etc.)

My point is, if these abilities are actually accurate, both should have taken their chances elsewhere. Kurt signed a new contract when Widdop, Hunt, Lafai and Aitken signed long term deals. They all play in his preferred positions. His only option now is to seemingly convert to a hooker in Nathan Brown's system. As stated, Demetriou is still following Bennett around.

Now Kurt is a decent footballer for sure and I hope he stays, but the amount of times I hear Kurt has been dicked around by the club is endless. He's had options to leave, there just haven't been any takers. Demetriou may end up being an NRL head coach one day, but at this stage, there is nothing telling me we should have handed him our head coaching job.

The way I see it, I don;t see how the club has treated either of these guys unfairly?
So much this

ouryears

Bench
So much this
The reason is because he has more qualifications than the person they chose, Mary won a suburban / park premiership, Jason won the ISP premiership then won the interstate challenge, he had the Dragons ISP team defending and attacking beautifully, they were streets ahead of the second best.

Mary had no qualifications to get the first grade job.

So why did they choose him?

Sure, if we compare Demitriou with say Robinson, Bellyache, Flanagan you can say hire those guys first.

However, versus who we do have......Jason was dudded.
Go back and look at the stats of the teams Demetriou has coached, very very impressive.

ouryears

Bench
There are many on here who think there is never a good time to sack Mary. I do not understand this thinking because the guy seems to really have nothing to offer.

Mary and JD did not get on so I'm sure JD will not accept an offer while Mary is head coach. Don't you think Mary has had more than a fair go? I do and because I am tired of seeing season after season getting wasted, I am looking forward to the day when a new coach arrives who can give the boys the best chance to win a comp.
Very true possum
People forget some of the records Mary has achieved

BIGGEST LOSS AT JUBILEE OVAL IN OUR HISTORY
MOST CONECUTIVE LOSSES
GOING FROM FIRST TO MISSING FINALS IN 2017
GOING FROM FIRST TO 7th IN 2018
LEAST NUMBER OF TRIES 2017
FIRST HALF OF 2017, SCORED LESS THAN 10 POINTS A GAME
CHOOSES A CAPTAIN WHO CANT EFFECTIVELY LEAD ON FIELD
DOESNT KNOW HOW TO REST SOO PLAYERS TO HAVE THEM PEAK IN SEPT.
THINKS THE BENCH HAS 2 PLAYERS ON IT

There are more, no time to check, but the above are enough to sack him.

Crush

Coach
The reason is because he has more qualifications than the person they chose, Mary won a suburban / park premiership, Jason won the ISP premiership then won the interstate challenge, he had the Dragons ISP team defending and attacking beautifully, they were streets ahead of the second best.

Mary had no qualifications to get the first grade job.

So why did they choose him?

Sure, if we compare Demitriou with say Robinson, Bellyache, Flanagan you can say hire those guys first.

However, versus who we do have......Jason was dudded.
Go back and look at the stats of the teams Demetriou has coached, very very impressive.
I was referring to the phenomenon of dragons fans elevating players/coaches worth due to them feeling that they have been treated unfairly by Mary. I've always thought that Mann and JD are forum favourites purely because fans feel they have been dudded.
When I saw giboz71 post the same thing I thought hallelujah its not just me!
Nothing against Mann, hes a handy player but he is never going to be anything more than that IMO. He has been given enough opportunities to show other clubs how good he is but he hasn't set the world on fire. He's been hot and cold. And its not because of the chopping and changing position. And I know he scored a bunch of tries on the wing in 2016. I've seen enough of him play to safely say he is OK. No loss whatsoever if he leaves.
Dragons tried to swap him with SKD at knights this week, knights said no thanks. If Mann was that good a try scoring machine you think they would have taken that swap?
As for JD, still kicking around as an assistant when many said he'd make us pay when he left. He'd be the next head coach of Broncos blah blah blah.

BLM01

First Grade
Very true possum
People forget some of the records Mary has achieved

BIGGEST LOSS AT JUBILEE OVAL IN OUR HISTORY
MOST CONECUTIVE LOSSES
GOING FROM FIRST TO MISSING FINALS IN 2017
GOING FROM FIRST TO 7th IN 2018
LEAST NUMBER OF TRIES 2017
FIRST HALF OF 2017, SCORED LESS THAN 10 POINTS A GAME
CHOOSES A CAPTAIN WHO CANT EFFECTIVELY LEAD ON FIELD
DOESNT KNOW HOW TO REST SOO PLAYERS TO HAVE THEM PEAK IN SEPT.
THINKS THE BENCH HAS 2 PLAYERS ON IT

There are more, no time to check, but the above are enough to sack him.
Firstly I think very few on here think Mary is the answer if any at all, I certainly dont think he can take us to that next level and whilst your point is made in BOLD, before you check for more;
You better check some of those records again...assuming you only talking as a Joint Venture
Cause some of them are not records and are / or incorrect, and to make it easier just change the word records to THINGS

e.g. We were leading the comp in 2017, yet first half we scored less than 10 points a game???...2016 possibly but I bet it was not under 10 average?
The record for consecutive losses..I think was my mate Pricey..anyway my point is also made

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
He's obviously well respected by most Dragons fans to have 2 threads in his honour. A great pity that Mary sees him as a threat in the pecking order chain of entitlement & command. In other words, he'll never return!

Gareth67

First Grade
He's obviously well respected by most Dragons fans to have 2 threads in his honour. A great pity that Mary sees him as a threat in the pecking order chain of entitlement & command. In other words, he'll never return!

Just so , Demetriou has the footy smarts and should never been allowed to go, instead they chose the ‘ career ‘ coach and he still has not learnt a bluudy thing .

If it was up to me I would take the man back in a heart beat and send the ‘ chosen ‘ one packing to the nearest Bunnings paint department - something more attuned to his line of thinking .

giboz71

First Grade
I was referring to the phenomenon of dragons fans elevating players/coaches worth due to them feeling that they have been treated unfairly by Mary.

Crush, its a long and distinguished list. Let's count 'em:

Dugan and Packer were future immortals (even though they struggle to play half a season)
Leeson Ah Mau is the next coming of Arthur Beetson
Siliva Havili is the next Cameron Smith
Jason Demetriou is the next Jack Gibson
Kurt Mann is on top of of every club's list to fill a backline spot (even though Brownie wants to turn him into a hooker).

Meanwhile, Paul Vaughan was an overpaid, reserve grade prop when he joined. Hunt was nowhere near worth the money. Tariq was an overrated injury prone hack. Korbin will in no way ever replace Leeson even though he's been in and around the Qld Origin team for years. You get the drift.......

Seems there is way more love for people leaving us as opposed to the blokes who actually want to play for us.

I find that strangely odd.

You’re making out like it was JD or no one, and those clubs chose no one.

At Broncos, they went with Seibold, who has a similar resume to JD with the added bonus of a successful year of first grade coaching under his belt. Any other club (hopefully including ours) would do the same.

Souffs went for Bennett. No real explanation needed. Likewise with Maguire, Cleary and even Hasler (experience and success is obvious high on the priority list). Even Brennan and Arthur were basically his equals when they took head coaching gigs. The fact that all these guys pipped him at the post, considering many of the politics and other factors, in no way means he is a poor option. Simply that there were better options, or that clubs weren’t willing to risk a rookie.

Compared with Mary, however, is an entirely different story.

(Ps not saying that we should hire him, but given the choice you’d be a crazy person not to choose him over McGregor).
Seibold came into focus after what he achieved at Souths.
The point is that Souths hired him on spec but based on a solid CV and results in the lower grades.
That decision has ultimately paid off for them.
If we use that to benchmark how a well managed club goes about their business, then how and why did St. George appoint McGregor as head coach in the first place?
Not only was there absolutely no logical reason or justification to appoint him, he has been extended and persevered with year after year just so the board can prove everyone wrong.
The whole local media spin that "success is around the corner" is testimony of that.
Some serious negligence which seems to be continuing with the baton holders.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Seibold came into focus after what he achieved at Souths.
The point is that Souths hired him on spec but based on a solid CV and results in the lower grades.
That decision has ultimately paid off for them.
If we use that to benchmark how a well managed club goes about their business, then how and why did St. George appoint McGregor as head coach in the first place?
Not only was there absolutely no logical reason or justification to appoint him, he has been extended and persevered with year after year just so the board can prove everyone wrong.
The whole local media spin that "success is around the corner" is testimony of that.
Some serious negligence which seems to be continuing with the baton holders.
That’s not news. He was appointed due to friends on the Board of Directors, and extended based on his own spin on ‘success’ and the low expectations of our management, prioritising their own positions over actual success.

watatank

Coach
Crush, its a long and distinguished list. Let's count 'em:

Dugan and Packer were future immortals (even though they struggle to play half a season)
Leeson Ah Mau is the next coming of Arthur Beetson
Siliva Havili is the next Cameron Smith
Jason Demetriou is the next Jack Gibson
Kurt Mann is on top of of every club's list to fill a backline spot (even though Brownie wants to turn him into a hooker).

Meanwhile, Paul Vaughan was an overpaid, reserve grade prop when he joined. Hunt was nowhere near worth the money. Tariq was an overrated injury prone hack. Korbin will in no way ever replace Leeson even though he's been in and around the Qld Origin team for years. You get the drift.......

Seems there is way more love for people leaving us as opposed to the blokes who actually want to play for us.

I find that strangely odd.

Leeson was actually one of those players that had no love when he started. Only now has earned respect

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I was referring to the phenomenon of dragons fans elevating players/coaches worth due to them feeling that they have been treated unfairly by Mary. I've always thought that Mann and JD are forum favourites purely because fans feel they have been dudded.
When I saw giboz71 post the same thing I thought hallelujah its not just me!
Nothing against Mann, hes a handy player but he is never going to be anything more than that IMO. He has been given enough opportunities to show other clubs how good he is but he hasn't set the world on fire. He's been hot and cold. And its not because of the chopping and changing position. And I know he scored a bunch of tries on the wing in 2016. I've seen enough of him play to safely say he is OK. No loss whatsoever if he leaves.
Dragons tried to swap him with SKD at knights this week, knights said no thanks. If Mann was that good a try scoring machine you think they would have taken that swap?
As for JD, still kicking around as an assistant when many said he'd make us pay when he left. He'd be the next head coach of Broncos blah blah blah.
The donkeys weren't having anyone around associated with Bennett

Latest posts