What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

Abacus

Juniors
Tigers just got hit hard with a penalty on their cap. Might have pay someone out. I'd be happy with Elijah Taylor coming back.
8. JFH
9.Egan
10.RCG.
11. Kikau
12.Yeo
13. ET
14. Tamou
15. Leota
16. Herman Sele/Hetherington/Grant/Liam Martin (depending on form)
17. Tyrell Funimao/Tyrone May/Sione Katoa (depending on form)
That's a pretty solid line up.
Matulino please.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Matulino please.
I'd be happy to get Elijah Taylor back. At least we know we'll get our money's worth with him.

Shame that Josh Addo-Carr isn't a Tiger still.
Imo in situations the like these the best option for the Tigers (if they do have to let someone go) would a guy another club would be willing to pay for but not someone with a really bright future. So they wouldn't wanna let go Alex Twal, Ryan Matterson, Esan Marsters, (Ado Car would fall under that category) but guys like Farah, Jacob Liddle and ET. Dunno which Matulino would fall under.

I'm sure they'd like to let someone go like Mcqueen but no one's going to pay for him so it'd be pointless. Think back to the Bulldogs cap troubles. They had to let Moses Mbye go because no one wanted anybody else besides Klemmer and Jackson. The Tigers have a better general quality to their side though and can afford something a little better for them. Assuming they have to let go anyone at all.

Last edited:

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Penrith Panthers: 2019 Round 1 predicted team

The biggest news for Penrith heading into 2019 is the return of Ivan Cleary as head coach, and he is expected to bring plenty of defensive nous to a side that regularly slipped behind early in games in 2018.

The roster is fairly familiar despite two key forwards leaving, with the new names largely coming in the form of promotions for local juniors.

Arguably the biggest conundrum for Ivan Cleary heading into 2019 is to decide whether New Zealand fullback and captain Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is wasted on the wing; if he starts at fullback it likely would mean dropping Dylan Edwards and starting Malakai Watene-Zelezniak on the wing. Trent Merrin and Corey Harawira-Naera leave gaps in the pack but recruit Tyrell Fuiamaono and a host of up-and-comers provide no shortage of quality replacements.

Resident NRL.com "expert" Jamie Soward says:
"Dylan Edwards for me is the fullback. Dallin had a fantastic season, captaining his country, really became one of the better fullbacks in the competition but defensively still has some work to do and I think that's where Ivan Cleary will keep Dylan and Dallin at the moment. Whether they swap with Dylan spending some time on the wing we'll have to wait and see but the Penrith window is open now, everything they wanted they've got, they've moved on some older players, upgraded some younger guys.

"I'd leave Tamou on the bench and start Kaide Ellis with no Fuimaono and put Tyrone May on the bench for Egan."
NRL.com's predicted Round 1 team:
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Waqa Blake
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. James Maloney
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Sione Katoa
10. James Tamou
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Isaah Yeo
13. James Fisher-Harris
14. Wayde Egan
15. Tyrell Fuimaono
16. Jack Hetherington
17. Moses Leota

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
May sound a bit silly but the player under the most pressure to perform is RCG. Long contract on good money and despite getting selected in Origin I thought he was underwhelming the entire season not just after his jaw injury.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
May sound a bit silly but the player under the most pressure to perform is RCG. Long contract on good money and despite getting selected in Origin I thought he was underwhelming the entire season not just after his jaw injury.
He had a good patch before Origin and briefly after Origin. Played some great games like our match against the Dragons, our first match against Raiders, Tigers, etc. Sadly I think he's not going to run hard due to lack of confidence in his jaw now it's been broken twice in a short amount of time. It'll some real mental strength or time to overcome that.

That said although he shoots out of the line trying to put a hit on and missing he rarely get stepped when he's in the line and with his size he's sometimes able to wrestle big forwards onto their back on his own. With his agility and acceleration he's one our forwards who tightens up the middle. The only other front rowers we have like that not counting kids are Yeo, Liam Martin and Kaide Ellis. Even if Sele and Grant hit career best form they aren't that type of forward. He's also a guy that always holds players down to prevent a quick play the ball and he's got pretty good ruck control.

Combine all that with him leading the line speed even if he's playing underwhelming he's still an important part of the team, no matter how badly he plays when it comes taking hit ups or not running hard he's needed.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

I agree. Not sure his style suits Ivan's play either

mxlegend99

Referee
He definitely turned to shit but leading up to Origin he even had other teams supporters singing his praises.

He had a couple of solid games after injury. But im not confident he will ever be the same again. I think hes going to be like Tamou unfortunately.

Its hard to imagine us getting the form we paid for.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not just him. Front office and board have pressure due to the length of deal and no interview process for the coach.

Nathan of course no is long term deal big money needs to continue to develop to justify.

RCG and JFH are the same. Both had their moments players got moved on to allow them to stay... Now time to prove it as a right move.

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
Not just him. Front office and board have pressure due to the length of deal and no interview process for the coach.

Nathan of course no is long term deal big money needs to continue to develop to justify.

RCG and JFH are the same. Both had their moments players got moved on to allow them to stay... Now time to prove it as a right move.
I reckon RCG needs hypnotism to get the fear out of him. If he's scared about his jaw then he'll just be Merrin 2.0

TheFrog

Coach
Resident NRL expert Jamie Soward said:
"Dylan Edwards for me is the fullback. Dallin had a fantastic season, captaining his country, really became one of the better fullbacks in the competition but defensively still has some work to do
I agree with him Edwards will be the fullback. And if anyone's an expert on defence needing work, it's Sowie.

betcats

Referee
They had rcg eating fast food to get back up to his playing weight after the broken jaw, that is going to adversely affect his fitness so I’m hoping his form at the end is mostly because of that.

Last edited:

Latest posts