What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL: Lets talk about relocating teams, says QRL boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How many viets in any pro sport in Aus? Just doesn’t really seem to be their thing. Plenty of Lebanese, Maltese, Africans and Pacific Islanders though.

Stallion

First Grade
I do factor that in, I said it won’t grow at the same rate. Your father isn’t a great example as the World was different then, I don’t imagine he had the chance to stream a lot of greek football. I can watch more live EPL here in Australia than I can in England which means everyone in Australia now has more options as to which sport they can watch.
Think about it this way how many league players of Vietnamese background are there?
I’m not saying no new migrants like the sport just that a lot have zero interest in it.

All depends on how it's sold! If it's culturally relevant (the thing to do as an Aussie) and sold as a game that promotes virtues of resilience, self confidence, commitment and physical prowess then it will attract many new people. You just don't think that way!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol. So the rivalries are a myth!? My word you have failed dismally though predictably. Manly Warringah v North Sydney had no rivalry? A foundation club (Bears) having the new kid further up the block (Manly) join in 1947 hasn't harnessed a rivalry? Wow. You have lost it! You senile Billy goat!

No the assertion that rivallaries are responsible for major and sustained interest growth in a myth. Clearly looking at the crowds between manly and bears would suggest the rivallary wasnt exactly firing the imagination of the populous.

Stallion

First Grade
No the assertion that rivallaries are responsible for major and sustained interest growth in a myth. Clearly looking at the crowds between manly and bears would suggest the rivallary wasnt exactly firing the imagination of the populous.

Wonder what the ground record at Bear park is? I do suggest that it will be local derby or if not right up there ! Your genuine regard for rugby league and what you think makes the NRL work is a myth and more accurately a mistake! And though most derby crowds are high in number, it's more than just crowd numbers. It's cultural significance, relevance and social interaction that promotes a strength for the code in a very competitive region. But you can't see this! So dissappointing and quite immature from an old bloke!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
How many viets in any pro sport in Aus? Just doesn’t really seem to be their thing. Plenty of Lebanese, Maltese, Africans and Pacific Islanders though.

There are some in football, I know my sister in law has a friend who is signed to an A League side.
You’re correct it’s not their thing, which is kind of my point a rise in population doesn’t mean their should/will be a rise in fans. With the change in demographics in migration you can’t say the two will go hand in hand like Stallion was saying.
Pacific Islanders are probably massively over represented when it comes to league, if the majority of migration was coming from their then we could expect league to grow at an amazing rate.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
BTW. The population is increasing! And you may call them small clubs but a grand final win changes the whole landscape as far as relevance and future support. People follow winners. Clubs that have been existence like Cronulla have grown out of a grandfinal win. These are established Sydney clubs(they have credibility and notoriety) and Newcastles biggest crowd this year was with St George Illawarra. Their second biggest was Manly Warringah. Broncos crowds took a hit from Thursday night scheduling I might add. Some big drawing Sydney clubs on a poor attendance night.

So we wait for a Sydney club to win a grand final so that they can become big? How many more do Manly have to win? How many more do the Roosters have to win?

The Broncos drawing lower than usual Thursday night crowds has nothing to do with the fact that their biggest drawing game are the Cowboys so I'm not sure where you are going with that one.

Stallion

First Grade
So we wait for a Sydney club to win a grand final so that they can become big? How many more do Manly have to win? How many more do the Roosters have to win?

The Broncos drawing lower than usual Thursday night crowds has nothing to do with the fact that their biggest drawing game are the Cowboys so I'm not sure where you are going with that one.

Clubs you have mentioned are bigger than you assume. They have widespread support. Not just in their own area. LIke I have stated many times "You rid established clubs from the competition , you also lose their support!" This support happens to be widespread.

Stallion

First Grade

From a Queensland point of view. Broncos v Cowboys is a derby. I'm aware of the distance factor however plenty of people have to either area over many years whereby a rivalry and loyalty to one area or the other can happen. Such rivalries are very much alive amongst the generational and well known/established Sydney clubs. Believe it or not!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
From a Queensland point of view. Broncos v Cowboys is a derby. I'm aware of the distance factor however plenty of people have to either area over many years whereby a rivalry and loyalty to one area or the other can happen. Such rivalries are very much alive amongst the generational and well known/established Sydney clubs. Believe it or not!

What does that have to do with the Broncos drawing below average crowds on Thursday nights? And what does any of it having to do with the fact that some of the feircest and best attended rivalries in the game happen outside of Sydney?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Clubs you have mentioned are bigger than you assume. They have widespread support. Not just in their own area. LIke I have stated many times "You rid established clubs from the competition , you also lose their support!" This support happens to be widespread.

I'm not proposing that we rid the competition of Manly or the Roosters. I'm pointing out to you that there are big Sydney clubs and smaller ones (the roosters are big financially but are a smaller club when it comes to attendances). I am proposing that if any of the smaller clubs are finding it difficult to cope at NRL level in the future, that they should play NSW Cup and allow the larger Sydney clubs more room to grow in Sydney.

Stallion

First Grade
What does that have to do with the Broncos drawing below average crowds on Thursday nights? And what does any of it having to do with the fact that some of the feircest and best attended rivalries in the game happen outside of Sydney?

And most of the fiercest and competitive games have occured in Sydney!

Stallion

First Grade
I'm not proposing that we rid the competition of Manly or the Roosters. I'm pointing out to you that there are big Sydney clubs and smaller ones (the roosters are big financially but are a smaller club when it comes to attendances). I am proposing that if any of the smaller clubs are finding it difficult to cope at NRL level in the future, that they should play NSW Cup and allow the larger Sydney clubs more room to grow in Sydney.

Lol . That is shear disaster for the code in Sydney. You haven't accepted that these clubs are not "small " as you put it but actually have widespread support in various parts of Australia outside of Sydney! This means relevance, established notoriety and customers interested in rugby league through such clubs. You drop these clubs to a 2nd tier you lose most of their support, which is bigger than you think!

Stallion

First Grade

No your point is mute! I support the Roosters and they are big in other aspects and can draw a good crowd both home and away. I'm sure all the established have established strengths. So, frivolously assuming one club is 'smaller' than the other is relative to what you propose to compare. All clubs have their strengths and widespread support. These are assets. A prudently run business doesn't rid itself of assets going forward. Sure add to the existing assets ! Fine. More additional clubs to expand this competition is for the better.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No your point is mute! I support the Roosters and they are big in other aspects and can draw a good crowd both home and away. I'm sure all the established have established strengths. So, frivolously assuming one club is 'smaller' than the other is relative to what you propose to compare. All clubs have their strengths and widespread support. These are assets. A prudently run business doesn't rid itself of assets going forward. Sure add to the existing assets ! Fine. More additional clubs to expand this competition is for the better.

How about this for frivolous asssumption, in 2018 (a premiership year) the Roosters:

• drew an average attendance 13,275 - 11th in the league and 6th in Sydney.
  • attracted 16,044 members
Don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda though Stallion - those Roosters numbers are small no matter which way you twist them and that is without mentioning Manly's which are worse.

So, where is the widespread support?
Are you suggesting that they are as big as Parra, the Dogs or Souths?
Do you now admit that there are big Sydney clubs and small Sydney clubs?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Lol . That is shear disaster for the code in Sydney. You haven't accepted that these clubs are not "small " as you put it but actually have widespread support in various parts of Australia outside of Sydney! This means relevance, established notoriety and customers interested in rugby league through such clubs. You drop these clubs to a 2nd tier you lose most of their support, which is bigger than you think!

So are all Sydney clubs the same size (i.e. there aren't big Sydney clubs and small Sydney clubs)?
Are Manly's membership and average attendances consistently the same as the dogs, eels or Souths?

Perth Red

Post Whore
How about this for frivolous asssumption, in 2018 (a premiership year) the Roosters:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda though Stallion - those Roosters numbers are small no matter which way you twist them and that is without mentioning Manly's which are worse.

Yes but what about the 250k fans who don’t go to games, dont beco e members, dont buy merch, don’t watch them on tv. You’ll lose them to union and afl lol

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And most of the fiercest and competitive games have occured in Sydney!

Have you got attendance figures to back that claim up? I do. Here are the top 10 NRL crowds (excluding finals of 2018):

Broncos v Cowboys in Brisbane: 46,080
Broncos v Manly in Brisbane: 41,538
Dragons v Roosters in Sydney: 41,142
Dogs v Storm / Souths v Warriors in Perth: 38,824
Broncos v Warriors in Brisbane: 37,492
Broncos v Melbourne in Brisbane: 37,209
Souths v Dogs: 32,471 in Sydney
Manly v Broncs / Storm v GCoast in Brisbane: 31,118
Broncos v Titans in Brisbane: 30,742
Broncos v Raiders 30,495

There are fierce and competitive games everywhere, but big drawing events don't just happen in Sydney and big drawing clubs and club rivalries are not exclusive to Sydney. Which would be more devastating to the NRL, losing Manly or losing Brisbane?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes but what about the 250k fans who don’t go to games, dont beco e members, dont buy merch, don’t watch them on tv. You’ll lose them to union and afl lol

lol - that all counts apparently and it will definately pay the bills and grow the game. We'll fund that Perth expansion with the goodwill of 'traditional, widespread, non-committed support'

Stallion

First Grade

Lol. The widespread support is exactly where I described. All around Australia . The same goes for the other clubs. However you cannot work this fact out!?

Stallion

First Grade
So are all Sydney clubs the same size (i.e. there aren't big Sydney clubs and small Sydney clubs)?
Are Manly's membership and average attendances consistently the same as the dogs, eels or Souths?

Lol. You used Souths ! How dumb. This club was considered down and oit and was kicked courtesy of your logic! They rightly fought their way back . A perfect ecample of the 'experts' in power stuffing up!

Status
Not open for further replies.