What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL: Lets talk about relocating teams, says QRL boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
Have you got attendance figures to back that claim up? I do. Here are the top 10 NRL crowds (excluding finals of 2018):

Broncos v Cowboys in Brisbane: 46,080
Broncos v Manly in Brisbane: 41,538
Dragons v Roosters in Sydney: 41,142
Dogs v Storm / Souths v Warriors in Perth: 38,824
Broncos v Warriors in Brisbane: 37,492
Broncos v Melbourne in Brisbane: 37,209
Souths v Dogs: 32,471 in Sydney
Manly v Broncs / Storm v GCoast in Brisbane: 31,118
Broncos v Titans in Brisbane: 30,742
Broncos v Raiders 30,495

There are fierce and competitive games everywhere, but big drawing events don't just happen in Sydney and big drawing clubs and club rivalries are not exclusive to Sydney. Which would be more devastating to the NRL, losing Manly or losing Brisbane?

Losing either would be disastrous.However adding two clubs would be a winner!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Lol. You used Souths ! How dumb. This club was considered down and oit and was kicked courtesy of your logic! They rightly fought their way back . A perfect ecample of the 'experts' in power stuffing up!

Answer the question: Are Manly's membership and average attendances consistently the same as the dogs, eels or Souths?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Lol. The widespread support is exactly where I described. All around Australia . The same goes for the other clubs. However you cannot work this fact out!?

The membership numbers don't seem to support your claim. I'm sure there are members of all clubs from all states in Australia, but widespread doesn't equate to large in numbers.

So, are all Sydney clubs the same? Or are there big Sydney clubs and small Sydney clubs?

Stallion

First Grade
Answer the question: Are Manly's membership and average attendances consistently the same as the dogs, eels or Souths?

My answer is that each club has different strengths. I would suggest that Manly's exhorbitant general entry ticket prices ($33 for the hill) has been a big factor along with an underperformed team. These things matter and when a local derby rival is no more: the cream from this twice yearly local event is also lost . That's what's happened. Northern Sydney is a very concerning area for the NRL and the reasons for this have been shown in some way in our discussion.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
The membership numbers don't seem to support your claim. I'm sure there are members of all clubs from all states in Australia, but widespread doesn't equate to large in numbers.

So, are all Sydney clubs the same? Or are there big Sydney clubs and small Sydney clubs?

Even I'm not a member of the Roosters! I was once but found that the draw didn't make it attractive/enticing enough to part with my hard earned. The opportunity to attend a Roosters game at a timeslot that suits is a significant factor in purchasing a membership. The only Roosters game I attended this year was the final (Easts v Souths).Cheap tickets($25) and a record sports crowd for the SFS.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Even I'm not a member of the Roosters! I was once but found that the draw didn't make it attractive/enticing enough to part with my hard earned. The opportunity to attend a Roosters game at a timeslot that suits is a significant factor in purchasing a membership. The only Roosters game I attended this year was the final (Easts v Souths).Cheap tickets($25) and a record sports crowd for the SFS.

So you do nothing for your club... You do know that many clubs have non-ticketed memberships right? For fans that can't get to games (Souths fans that live in Perth for example).

It may be great for you to talk about widespread supporter bases, but if this is not reflected in attendance or membership figures then it doesn't really mean anything.

''I like the Roosters but I'm not going to their games or buying a membership'' is not really a fan in any way that will help the game grow.

flippikat

Bench
So you do nothing for your club... You do know that many clubs have non-ticketed memberships right? For fans that can't get to games (Souths fans that live in Perth for example).

It may be great for you to talk about widespread supporter bases, but if this is not reflected in attendance or membership figures then it doesn't really mean anything.

''I like the Roosters but I'm not going to their games or buying a membership'' is not really a fan in any way that will help the game grow.

Good point.

The bottom line is the bottom line - if you can't sell tickets, memberships, merchandise or add to the value of a TV deal as much as the other clubs.. then pretty soon people are gonna ask "what value do you add to the league?". Look at South Sydney - they had a great tradition, but for a long time they were rubbish at parlaying that into tangible financial gain. Not anymore.

Stallion

First Grade

Wrong. I support my club. No membership doesn't mean you don't support them. You are missing the cultural relevance and value for money point for the supporter. I purchase paraphernalia like Roosters watches, beach towels, socks, car number plates etc. This promotes the Roosters. I would suggest "nothing" is not accurate or fair. This is despite my disdain for the Roosters being known as the "Sydney Roosters." I much prefer a more accurate name such as the East Sydney Roosters . Very doable but they continue on with just "Sydney Roosters". I might add their is a large amount of Roosters fans that do a chant at games which has a clap routine and then EASTS, EASTS, EASTS verbalized to all around. Very telltale and shows a yearning for historical and locality relevance in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
My answer is that each club has different strengths. I would suggest that Manly's exhorbitant general entry ticket prices ($33 for the hill) has been a big factor along with an underperformed team. These things matter and when a local derby rival is no more: the cream from this twice yearly local event is also lost . That's what's happened. Northern Sydney is a very concerning area for the NRL and the reasons for this have been shown in some way on our discussion.

If you can afford to live in Manly you can afford $33 to go to a Brookie. The support just isn’t there.

Wrong. I support my club. No membership doesn't mean you don't support them. You are missing the cultural relevance and value for money point for the supporter. I purchase paraphernalia like Roosters watches, beach towels, socks, car number plates etc. This promotes the Roosters. I would suggest "nothing" is not accurate or fair. This is despite my disdain for the Roosters being known as the "Sydney Roosters." I much prefer a more accurate name such as the East Sydney Roosters . Very doable but they continue on with just "Sydney Roosters". I might add their is a large amount of Roosters fans that do a chant at games which has a clap routine and then EASTS, EASTS, EASTS verbalized to all around. Very telltale and shows a yearning for historical and locality relevance in my opinion.

Just remove the roosters all together, easts or eastern suburbs is a much better name.

Pommy

Coach
What a load of crap! $20 is fair price for the footy on the hill.

But would it attract more people? People in Manly aren’t short of a quid and no f**ker else is going to Brookie it’s just a total ball ache to visit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a load of crap! $20 is fair price for the footy on the hill.

You think nrl is only worth a fraction of other sports? What a strange fan of the game you are.

You are exactly the sort of fan that has 50% of clubs stillg making losses despite a MASSIVE nrl grant increase.

Stallion

First Grade
But would it attract more people? People in Manly aren’t short of a quid and no f**ker else is going to Brookie it’s just a total ball ache to visit.

I've visited when the Roosters played. Back then it was about $20 for entry into the hill. Had a good arvo sitting in the sun. About 19000 attended on that day.

Stallion

First Grade
You think nrl is only worth a fraction of other sports? What a strange fan of the game you are.

You are exactly the sort of fan that has 50% of clubs stillg making losses despite a MASSIVE nrl grant increase.

You have no idea do you!? The demographic is mixed for rugby league. Still very much a working class following. If you think otherwise you are kidding yourself. That's reality in Australia Mr Moneybags!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Working class in Manly?

Yes. You would be surprised. It's a mixed demographic. Although northern Sydney would have the highest amount of elite private schools than most areas of Sydney. But yes the plebs still live in Manly. And support from the middle class is healthy for rugby league. However ridding the area of time honored local derbies along with steep ticket prices doesn't help the code's cause.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Yes. You would be surprised. Its a mixed demographic. Although northern Sydney would have the highest amount of elite private schools than most areas of Sydney. But yes the plebs still live in Manly. And support from the middle class is healthy for rugby league. However ridding the area of time honored local derbies along with steep ticket prices doesn't help the code's cause.

They’re not steep though, don’t you think the working man pays to go to EPL games? The tickets for that are a minimum of about $60 and very often much more. That’s with much lower wages.
Why do you sell our sport so cheep?

Stallion

First Grade
They’re not steep though, don’t you think the working man pays to go to EPL games? The tickets for that are a minimum of about $60 and very often much more. That’s with much lower wages.
Why do you sell our sport so cheep?

It's not selling the sport cheap. It's the go in Australia . What your logic supports is 'Lets charge higher than market demand and have less turn up." That, to me is not good for this very vulnerable code that has not got the establishment based favours of the elite private schools propagating it's code like union. Horses for courses. It's a different scenario in Australia compared to England.

Status
Not open for further replies.