What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: Australia v India at SCG Jan 3-7 2019 - MATCH DRAWN

What's this batter stuff?

Batsman. Batsmen. Or in the case of the Australian top order, walking wickets.

Batter makes pancakes I was taught.

However, in this age of Newspeak and rise of women's cricket, CA decided to use batter to cover men and women in commentary etc.

Canard

Immortal
It's OK. When we are bowling the pitch is to blame.

Ten minutes later when we are batting it is the selectors that are at fault.

The Indian side has nothing to do with it.

FMD cricket fans are a bunch of sheep who love BS excuses.

100% this.

We are nothing if not great whingers.

They other old trick is to start calling the touring side cheats, bad sportsman etc.

It's amazing how every side bar Australia, is racist, cheats, poor sportsman etc.

My Ashes:

Renshaw
Harris/Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Handscomb
Paine
Lyon
Cummins
Hazlewood
Siddle

For mine

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Maxwell
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Mennie
Hazlewood

Starc
Tremain
Burns
Carey
Fawad
Renshaw

I honestly would like to drop Khawaja, there’s just no one else I can see as a genuine no.3. In a year or two hopefully Will Pucovski.

Bazal

Post Whore
100% this.

We are nothing if not great whingers.

They other old trick is to start calling the touring side cheats, bad sportsman etc.

It's amazing how every side bar Australia, is racist, cheats, poor sportsman etc.

Erm... Literally every page of thus thread has posts about how shit we are.

Facts:

1-This pitch, and the MCG, have been disgraceful roads. That is bad for cricket

2-The side selected is not the best side we could select.

3-India are much better than we are.

Canard

Immortal
Australian cricket has a number of issues,first it has to take control of its own domain, which maybe easier said than done considering the tv networks want what’s best for themselves and not necessarily Australian cricket.
Scheduling has to be a priority,shield cricket is the pathway to test cricket and should be played before and during the current test series ,the longer state cricket is neglected the longer our test team will struggle,it is ludicrous that there is only bbl being played at the moment,this format has a place but it’s not an accurate guide for test selection and should be pushed back in scheduling until the test series is complete.
The recent test results and alarming statistics of our test and first class cricketers suggest that change is needed to our scheduling,the majority of current players lack the ability and talent to adjust to the different cricket formats when the scheduling is mixed,until this is addressed our test results will continue to suffer.

From a pure sporting perspective, your spot on (this has been raised ad nauseam by now)

The issue is, Cricket would be broke in no time if this happened.

Why does T20 not affect India though? If anything they are better then ever since the IPL started.

Canard

Immortal

Facts:

I'm talking in general, not just this thread.

But even then, there is quite a lot of whining about India and an incident over a decade ago where someone who wasn't Aussie(for once) was accused of being racist

From a pure sporting perspective, your spot on (this has been raised ad nauseam by now)

The issue is, Cricket would be broke in no time if this happened.

Why does T20 not affect India though? If anything they are better then ever since the IPL started.

1 billion people.

Sporting religion.

Here we have a half dozen sports fighting over 25 million people, sprinkled over a continent, for their heats n minds n dollars.

Chin Music

Juniors

Facts:

Shouldn’t you be out playing first class cricket today?

Yes Indian have been better, however we’ve obviously won one Test & we lost by only 30 runs in another. A bit of luck & it could’ve been 2-1 to Australia.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Cricinfo is whiling away the rain delay by talking about fan's first memory of cricket.

For me it was 1969, a young John Snow was charging in from the river end with the Fremantle doctor at his back to bowl to CAPTAIN Ian Chappell. There were no helmets in those days so Chappell hooked every ball onto the road adjacent to the trotters at Gloucester park whilst Ashley Mallett stood up the other end applauding. Chappell then walked off for a beer, punching Sir Donald Bradman in the guts. A helluva era.

(Actually it was the ashes test at the MCG in the early 80s where AB and Thompson got within 3 runs of winning).

Bazal

Post Whore
For mine

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Maxwell
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Mennie
Hazlewood

Starc
Tremain
Burns
Carey
Fawad
Renshaw

I honestly would like to drop Khawaja, there’s just no one else I can see as a genuine no.3. In a year or two hopefully Will Pucovski.

Renshaw
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Head
Paine (c)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Worrall/Sayers/Mennie (whichever swing bowler ends the season better)
Swepson
Tremain
Carey
Two more batsmen...

I deadset drew a blank at the end there. Slim. Pickings.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
India might have 1 billion people but most of them live in unbelievable poverty. The majority of test cricketers produced by India are from upper class families.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm talking in general, not just this thread.

But even then, there is quite a lot of whining about India and an incident over a decade ago where someone who wasn't Aussie(for once) was accused of being racist

That incident was about a lot more than just what the Weed said to Roy tbh.

_snafu_

Immortal
No doubt.

But why is T20 killing our Test skills, but not theirs?

The observation made yesterday is that the season for the longer first class matches is at a different time to the IPL and is therefore not interrupted. Here we have to suspend the Shield games to accommodate BBL.

Renshaw
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Head
Paine (c)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Worrall/Sayers/Mennie (whichever swing bowler ends the season better)
Swepson
Tremain
Carey
Two more batsmen...

I deadset drew a blank at the end there. Slim. Pickings.

Whoever the swing bowler is they must play. This is what we’ve consistently failed to do on recent tours there.

I’d love to take swepson, just don’t think he’s stepped up enough. He should perhaps be playing for another state to find more suitable conditions.

Bazal

Post Whore
Shouldn’t you be out playing first class cricket today?

Yes Indian have been better, however we’ve obviously won one Test & we lost by only 30 runs in another. A bit of luck & it could’ve been 2-1 to Australia.

Shouldn't you be "ignoring" me, ChinWeasel?