What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: Australia v India at SCG Jan 3-7 2019 - MATCH DRAWN

TheParraboy

Staff member
What’ll really annoy me is if we don’t select some guys who know the conditions

Mennie played for Lancashire last year (he’s suited to those conditions)

Renshaw for Somerset

Maxwell for Yorkshire

Well ,we did that, picked Adam Voges who was blitzing it at county level

He had no troubles v NZ and WI

come ashes in the UK, you swear he never seen conditions like that, was beyond woefull

Mine is 1982/83 Ashes.

I was 6. Long boring hot (summer of massive drought) days as my dad (an English immigrant) and my visiting English grandparents watching it. It was murder.

Remember the colour of ODIs and them poo pooing it as not real cricket. I loved it. Instantly. It was advertised and merchandised like BBL now. There was a Rod Marsh lick a prize Paddelepop promo that won me over.

Following year the Scanlens sticker book set me for life. As did the WSC ad.

download.jpeg

I got in to tests by late 80s but ODI WSC was my first love. It was never the same after the block scheduling or when WSC B&H ended and teams wore their own gear and the tri series died. When I was young it was Tues and Thursday nightsand Saturday Sunday doubles in Perth Adelaide and Brisbane as they didn't have lights yet.

Bazal

Post Whore
Whoever the swing bowler is they must play. This is what we’ve consistently failed to do on recent tours there.

I’d love to take swepson, just don’t think he’s stepped up enough. He should perhaps be playing for another state to find more suitable conditions.

Que? There's defs 11 there

Me said:
Renshaw
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Head
Paine (c)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

I just think Swepson is the better option of an underperforming bunch, unless someone really steps up at the back end of the season. Warnie froths over Fawad but he will be 37 by the time the Ashes roll around, he's not even contracted to Victoria and his fielding is at a fourth grade level.

The swing bowler would probably play most games, I've just gone down the list as I thought of them really.

come ashes in the UK, you swear he never seen conditions like that, was beyond woefull

There’s always exceptions, but we need to look to some guys who know the conditions. Particularly want to see a swing bowler in the team.

Que? There's defs 11 there

I just think Swepson is the better option of an underperforming bunch, unless someone really steps up at the back end of the season. Warnie froths over Fawad but he will be 37 by the time the Ashes roll around, he's not even contracted to Victoria and his fielding is at a fourth grade level.

The swing bowler would probably play most games, I've just gone down the list as I thought of them really.

Sorry I edited it, counted quickly.

Fawad I’m confident could play if Lyon got an injury. Swepson I’m not so confident.

Bazal

Post Whore
Sorry I edited it, counted quickly.

Fawad I’m confident could play if Lyon got an injury. Swepson I’m not so confident.

Lol, I missed that.

I just don't like the idea of 37 year old Test players. Especially ones who have essentially always been mediocre.

A younger player has potential upside, and as a squad player I'd personally prefer that

Lol, I missed that.

I just don't like the idea of 37 year old Test players. Especially ones who have essentially always been mediocre.

A younger player has potential upside, and as a squad player I'd personally prefer that

Definitely agree I’d prefer swepson as a squad player. I suppose the risk of an injury to Lyon is quite low.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Just on Border.

48 times he batted with Australia either responding to 400, trailing by 150 on first innings, or following on...more than four times as often as Ian Chappell.

He'd had seven captains in his first seven years.

Was one of two establishment players as automatic selections to rejoin WSC players...a feat in itself.

Scored 27 test tons and was on the winning side 5 of those times. Bradman lost thrice in his 29 tons.

Was leading test scorer when he retired despite being in so many losing teams.

Bradman's average century 234. Border's 223.

Border made 27 tours abroad. Bradman made four...Ashes tours.

45% of Border's first class runs were test runs.
Don't forget he had to play the Windies every 2 years back in those days.

The Windies seemed to be out here every summer.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Erm... Literally every page of thus thread has posts about how shit we are.

Facts:

1-This pitch, and the MCG, have been disgraceful roads. That is bad for cricket

2-The side selected is not the best side we could select.

3-India are much better than we are.
Pretty much this.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
From a pure sporting perspective, your spot on (this has been raised ad nauseam by now)

The issue is, Cricket would be broke in no time if this happened.

Why does T20 not affect India though? If anything they are better then ever since the IPL started.

They dont break up their fc season with the ipl. They play a hell of a lot of fc cricket.

There will always be cycles of success and talent but many in that Golden era were groomed at Rod Marsh's cricket academy, away from scrutiny.

Problem is, by mid late 99s we had TWO test teams and basically split the test and ODI team to give them all a go. Hell...M Hussey had to wait forever to get a shot.

But we were so good, the academy fell away and upcoming talent withered on the vine as the stars had long careers or up n comers got a test or two as injury cover.

We were promised talent was groomed to take the legends places but the media and game pressure of the next Warne Mcgrath Gilly and Hayden saw chopping and changing and selection swaps and I personally don't think Ricky was equipped as a man manager or tactician to establish a new order and slumped to his evetual demise leaving a lot to Clarke to arrest the slide. Clarke and Smith despite their faults carried Australia. It broke both physically and emotionally.

Right now we need our best 20 players together, forging an identity best they can and scour 12-16 year olds for temperament skill and technique to groom the next crop.

Langer isnt the coach for the test team. Dizzy is

Iafeta

Referee

Well he did v NZ. It’s just that the Pom umpire dreamed up a no ball to gift him from a single figure score to a double century. Bollocks like that seemed to follow Don Voges.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
So just to put the Indian domestic scene into context thd ranji trophy (their shield cricket) runs from November to February and the IPL runs from early april to late may.

Thinking outside the box here with the relatively warm weather all year round in aus and the fact FC cricket doesnt really make a profit here anyway but why not start the shield season earlier like in September

Bazal

Post Whore
So just to put the Indian domestic scene into context thd ranji trophy (their shield cricket) runs from November to February and the IPL runs from early april to late may.

Thinking outside the box here with the relatively warm weather all year round in aus and the fact FC cricket doesnt really make a profit here anyway but why not start the shield season earlier like in September

Yeah that was my thought as well.

The JLT Cup started September 16th this year. No reason at all the Shield can't start around that time. Run it straight into the BBL. It also means that Shield cricket leads into the Tests.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Yeah that was my thought as well.

The JLT Cup started September 16th this year. No reason at all the Shield can't start around that time. Run it straight into the BBL. It also means that Shield cricket leads into the Tests.
Also means you have the situation we have now where we pick replacements from BBL eg Handscomb.

Latest posts