What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Tim Paine most uninspiring captain Ever??

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The value of Sheffield Shield has been eroded by short form cricket and the test players particularly bowlers don’t play nearly enough of it either.
Batsmen coming though are often playing against poorer quality bowling and scoring runs too easily and get found out when they get to test level
In years gone by the touring test side would always play the state side prior to the test in that city so again valuable experience no longer available.
The BBL has taken precedence over what was the best system in the world in creating test cricketers.
In a way RL has followed a similar model by getting rid of valuable rep games in favour of populist big money games that are played at a time that doesn’t serve the best interests of the game as a whole.

Correct.

The influence of the BBL on the itinerary cannot be denied. It has ruined fundamental batting techniques.

This truncated format is best suited for either mercenaries or those who aren’t Test standard players,

Elsewhere, I was ridiculed for suggesting the following:

1. start the Sheffield Shield and JLT Cup simultaneously by mid October,

2. Test series against whoever begins mid November, but most importantly, the Shield season MUST continue.

3. reintroduce the old tri angular ODI series....rebrand it as WSC...there is nothing wrong with one day cricket despite what the media and tv networks tells its audience.

4. Shield final to be televised.

5. only once this has been done, should the BBL commence.

Note: this competition should run no more than two or three weeks, not months.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Where do you start with a post that is so fundamentally (never mind factually) incorrect?

It’s a moot point but should India not lose this Test (highly unlikely), it will have won its first ever series in the past 70-Years (not 80).

This is not to say the Indians haven’t gone close in previous attempts. Many so called “experts” are completely oblivious here.

Think 2003-04 (1 all) and 1978-79 (3-2). Speaking of the former series, India scored over 700 in its first “dig”. It’s fair to say, historically, it enjoys the SCG.

Smashed? Well, that was true in Melbourne but definitely not in Adelaide where poor shot selection (e.g. Finch, Khawaja and Marsh) played a dear part in Australia’s demise.

However, it’s your absurd observation that no other Australian teams have played so poorly that goes beyond the pale.

I wonder if you are old enough to recall Australia being soundly beaten by New Zealand in 1985-86?

That’s right...NEW FRICKIN’ ZEALAND!

That was this country’s cricketing nadir, as far as I’m concerned; this Indian team is a pretty good one. Incidentally, Australia losing to the Kiwis came soon after the absence of Chappell, Lillee and Marsh....three all time greats of the game. Of course, Australia is missing two of its own top tier players in Smith and Warner.

Coincidence?

However, it’s your absurd observation that the players aren’t playing for Paine (and presumably Langer) that piques my interest. Are you not aware that the side’s performances (particularly the bowlers) were on the slide WELL BEFORE Paine was appointed with the captaincy? Shane Warne has said quite a bit about this over the past few days.

Dropped catches? That’s a deadset cracker. I guess Paine is responsible for that too? Curiously, where does the team’s fielding coach, Brad Haddin, accountability start? Using your logic, shouldn’t he also be given the boot? Batting coach, Graeme Hick? Don’t get me started...

Your lack of knowledge is thigh slappingly hilarious.
Lol 78-79 we were without the Packer guys - so a third Australian XI.....the team which got belted 5-1 by England.

India just lost to England the same team we flogged last summer.

Btw first test in South Africa 2018

Starc match figures 9-109

The slide begun around about then.......

Wonder what happened?

Mr Spock!

Referee
It's good t see some honesty for a change. This is a result of frustration.

Nathan Lyon ‘breaks ranks’ with explosive interview
A disastrous day in the field left Nathan Lyon furious — and he didn’t hold back in a “scathing” rebuke of the Aussie quicks and Tim Paine.

Nathan Lyon is fed up — and in an interview that will rival Cameron Bancroft’s as the most explosive of the summer let his teammates have both barrels.

The offspinner was notably testy after Cheteshwar Pujara and India punished the local attack on day one at the SCG, posting 4/303 in a start that had former English captain Michael Vaughan declaring the series was already won.

Lyon initially tried trotting the party line when he spoke to ABC radio, saying: “Pretty disappointing day to be honest. The bowlers, we weren’t at our best, and full credit goes to Pujara, he’s been outstanding the whole series and it’s continued today.”

But it quickly became apparent he was in no mood to be positive. Asked about the change in tactics after the drinks break in the first session — where Australia changed from line and length bowling to a short-pitched approach — Lyon voiced his frustration.

“I wasn’t too happy about it, to be honest,” he said. “We missed out on using the moisture in the wicket. We could have stuck there longer. But the captain and the bowlers came up with a decent plan and unfortunately it didn’t work.”

Josh Hazlewood finished with the solid figures of 2/51 from his 20 overs but Mitchell Starc (1/75 from 18), Pat Cummins (0/62 from 19) and Lyon (1/88 from 29) battled largely in vain.

The offspinner also appeared bemused at the lack of overs given to legspinner Marnus Labuschagne, who finished with 0/25 from four.

“You’re going to have to ask Tim Paine that. I’ve got no answer for you,” said Lyon, when asked if he expected the recalled Queenslander to bowl more. “Obviously Marnus didn’t bowl the best I’ve ever seen him bowl, but he’s a young legspinner and a very talented batter and he’s got my full support. He’s an up and coming cricketer and he’s got a lot of Test cricket to play for Australia.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...w/news-story/f3b35e7f2393e482dc1fd3e7fcac69df

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lol 78-79 we were without the Packer guys - so a third Australian XI.....the team which got belted 5-1 by England.

Wonder what happened?

Sandpaper made an unwelcomed appearance?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It's good t see some honesty for a change. This is a result of frustration.

Nathan Lyon ‘breaks ranks’ with explosive interview
A disastrous day in the field left Nathan Lyon furious — and he didn’t hold back in a “scathing” rebuke of the Aussie quicks and Tim Paine.

Nathan Lyon is fed up — and in an interview that will rival Cameron Bancroft’s as the most explosive of the summer let his teammates have both barrels.

The offspinner was notably testy after Cheteshwar Pujara and India punished the local attack on day one at the SCG, posting 4/303 in a start that had former English captain Michael Vaughan declaring the series was already won.

Lyon initially tried trotting the party line when he spoke to ABC radio, saying: “Pretty disappointing day to be honest. The bowlers, we weren’t at our best, and full credit goes to Pujara, he’s been outstanding the whole series and it’s continued today.”

But it quickly became apparent he was in no mood to be positive. Asked about the change in tactics after the drinks break in the first session — where Australia changed from line and length bowling to a short-pitched approach — Lyon voiced his frustration.

“I wasn’t too happy about it, to be honest,” he said. “We missed out on using the moisture in the wicket. We could have stuck there longer. But the captain and the bowlers came up with a decent plan and unfortunately it didn’t work.”

Josh Hazlewood finished with the solid figures of 2/51 from his 20 overs but Mitchell Starc (1/75 from 18), Pat Cummins (0/62 from 19) and Lyon (1/88 from 29) battled largely in vain.

The offspinner also appeared bemused at the lack of overs given to legspinner Marnus Labuschagne, who finished with 0/25 from four.

“You’re going to have to ask Tim Paine that. I’ve got no answer for you,” said Lyon, when asked if he expected the recalled Queenslander to bowl more. “Obviously Marnus didn’t bowl the best I’ve ever seen him bowl, but he’s a young legspinner and a very talented batter and he’s got my full support. He’s an up and coming cricketer and he’s got a lot of Test cricket to play for Australia.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...w/news-story/f3b35e7f2393e482dc1fd3e7fcac69df

Explosive?

Hardly,

The most hyperbolic heading in a while is more appropriate.

Old Timer

Coach
Sandpaper made an unwelcomed appearance?
Maybe “appearance” is not quite right
“exposed” might be more correct
If push came to shove I think most people think this was not an isolated incident re ball tampering albeit maybe the 1st time sandpaper was actually seen been used in a test match.
Just a little before that infamous day Warner was the man charged with looking after the ball and plenty of comments by commentators and players alike had been made re the excessive and varying types of tape Warner was wearing on his hands whilst fielding.
I posted some time ago the claims that it is my firm belief that Australian umpires made claims against Warner and the claims were swept under the carpet.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Maybe “appearance” is not quite right
“exposed” might be more correct
If push came to shove I think most people think this was not an isolated incident re ball tampering albeit maybe the 1st time sandpaper was actually seen been used in a test match.
Just a little before that infamous day Warner was the man charged with looking after the ball and plenty of comments by commentators and players alike had been made re the excessive and varying types of tape Warner was wearing on his hands whilst fielding.
I posted some time ago the claims that it is my firm belief that Australian umpires made claims against Warner and the claims were swept under the carpet.

For mine, Warner’s infamy was exposed when he failed to answer one simple question during that painfully, heavily scripted press conference following his return to Australia after the South African tour.

Reporter: “have you previously engaged in any other similar illegal ball tampering activity”?

Warner: *silence*.

Then he wafted into some sort of response about hoe he wants to become a better man, husband, player etc.

A complete segue.

Mind you, there might have been legal complications if he answered that question satisfactorily.

Old Timer

Coach
For mine, Warner’s infamy was exposed when he failed to answer one simple question during that painfully, heavily scripted press conference following his return to Australia after the South African tour.

Reporter: “have you previously engaged in any other similar illegal ball tampering activity”?

Then he wafted into some sort of response about hoe he wants to become a better man, husband, player etc.

A complete segue.

Mind you, there might have been legal complications if he answered that question satisfactorily.
Warner IMO is a complete grub and as I said before my grandson getting rid of his 'Kaboom" books says it all for me.
How is that a kid has better vision and understanding than some adults but I for one am very proud of his decision.

Drag Queen

Bench

A complete segue.

May have been. I recall an interview with Kohli back in 2016 when he branded the Oz team the worst cheating cricket team in the comp. At the time I thought it was disrespectful. In hindsight I don't think it was.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
May have been. I recall an interview with Kohli back in 2016 when he branded the Oz team the worst cheating cricket team in the comp. At the time I thought it was disrespectful. In hindsight I don't think it was. OT brought up some good points although I disagree with a couple of his points. He brought in the population of India as an advantage. To be fair, it's the only sport they thrive for much like Union and netball in NZ. I don't see the Indians in any other sport doing well internationally Jimmy. They just don't. PS has the rain cleared?
Cricket is a religion in India and the top players are Gods.
The money on offer is unimaginable to the masses, so little wonder they play cricket at every opportunity.
Mrs OT & I had the great pleasure of being in india for several weeks a few years ago and no matter where you went there were people of every age playing cricket.
One of my great memories is stopping in a small village and actually joining in with the kids in a game in the street.
They new players from every country, they new stats, they new when their team was playing, in fact there was very little they didn't know although they did get it wrong when they kept calling me Brett Lee but they did quickly worked out that I didn't bat like Ponting.
Kids lining up to bowl calling themselves Glenn Mc Grath (obviously well known and liked due to the work he does over there) and kids all wanting to be Tendulkar or Dohni with the bat.
You can't underestimate what cricket means to the bulk of India and how they have worked out a programme that will filter more than 20 million school age kids that just want to play cricket.

giboz71

First Grade

A complete segue.

Prior to the Cape Town debacle, Australia’s attack of Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood and Lyon were one of the most feared attacks in cricket. They were practically unplayable in the Ashes of 2017.

Since then, they have looked ordinary with South Africa, Pakistan and now India posting huge scores against them . Shane Warne looked at the stats and Starc, Hazelwood and Lyon are averaging well over 40 against top 6 batsmen in 2018

Coincidence?

Given Warner was always the designated keeper of the ball, now he’s been rubbed out, suddenly our top 3 bowlers aren’t as effective.

Not necessarily saying Warner has always tampered with the ball, but it’s a strange coincidence.

ouryears

Bench
Too early to tell. Crowds may have been affected by the sandpaper incident more than anything.
Crowds are down because the public know we have a shithouse team, same as crowd numbers are dramatically down watching the wallabies. If smith and warner come back and we start getting 400 run innings from our team......and they score 300+ runs in a day instead of 200, the crowds will be back.

Currently, the slow run rate combined with a shitty team is killing crowd numbers, not sandpaper gate. There isn’t one player in the Australian team that excites the public, a boring, slow and inept bunch that aren’t close to test match standard.

It’s an era we are going to have to suffer through.

Once March comes, no one will care.

ouryears

Bench
Fixed for @ouryears ... the coin Paine needs to make u happy...

s-l300.jpg
Josh McCrone > Tim Paine
Mitch Rein > Tim Paine
Even Widdop is > Tim Paine
The Aust cricket team are like a swamp that needs to be cleaned out
Starting with Paine .....and Justin Langer
Otherwise stick to playing second tier countries

Drag Queen

Bench
Josh McCrone > Tim Paine
Mitch Rein > Tim Paine
Oi, it's past your bedtime mate.

Drag Queen

Bench

Wonder what happened?
Rhetorical question?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Crowds are down because the public know we have a shithouse team, same as crowd numbers are dramatically down watching the wallabies. If smith and warner come back and we start getting 400 run innings from our team......and they score 300+ runs in a day instead of 200, the crowds will be back.

Currently, the slow run rate combined with a shitty team is killing crowd numbers, not sandpaper gate. There isn’t one player in the Australian team that excites the public, a boring, slow and inept bunch that aren’t close to test match standard.

It’s an era we are going to have to suffer through.

Once March comes, no one will care.

Nonsense.

Crowd figures for this Australia vs India Test series have been great. 70 odd thousand for day of the Boxing Test, and 30k plus for days one and two demonstrate fans aren’t turned off because of the reasons you’ve mentioned.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Josh McCrone > Tim Paine
Mitch Rein > Tim Paine

You make it sound as though Australian cricket has developed the same malaise as the West Indies.

It hasn’t.

Where should your box of hankies be sent?

Drag Queen

Bench
Cricket is a religion in India and the top players are Gods.
The money on offer is unimaginable to the masses, so little wonder they play cricket at every opportunity.
Mrs OT & I had the great pleasure of being in india for several weeks a few years ago and no matter where you went there were people of every age playing cricket.
One of my great memories is stopping in a small village and actually joining in with the kids in a game in the street.
They new players from every country, they new stats, they new when their team was playing, in fact there was very little they didn't know although they did get it wrong when they kept calling me Brett Lee but they did quickly worked out that I didn't bat like Ponting.
Kids lining up to bowl calling themselves Glenn Mc Grath (obviously well known and liked due to the work he does over there) and kids all wanting to be Tendulkar or Dohni with the bat.
You can't underestimate what cricket means to the bulk of India and how they have worked out a programme that will filter more than 20 million school age kids that just want to play cricket.
Spent 6 weeks there for work 5 years ago. The caste system was diabolical. Even visiting the remote places, cricket was being played in dust. PS; did you wake up on the right side of the bed today? You're quite endearing today OT.