What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

saint.nick

Coach
I never said it was racist. I said it was always going to cause outrage because of the similarity to Sambo cartoons which you admit were designed to mock black people for simply being black.

I know, was making more a general point

bileduct

Coach
I know, was making more a general point
Fair enough.

I do find it pretty amusing that a lot of SJWs are going on about unconscious racial bias and then saying the cartoonist made her look like a raging oversized gorilla.

If they're seeing gorillas it would seem that they're the ones with the unconscious racial bias problem.

edabomb

First Grade
I just think it is bizarre that the man is seen as abusing the power in this situation. She is the multimillion dollar athlete earning more per minute than he does for a day's work. She was caught breaking the rules and then abused the much lesser paid individual for doing his job for a good few minutes. The tone was clearly intimidating with the shouting and finger pointing. Just because someone is male it doesn't meaning they hold the power in a confrontation.

That cartoon was a shocker though.

bileduct

Coach
I just think it is bizarre that the man is seen as abusing the power in this situation. She is the multimillion dollar athlete earning more per minute than he does for a day's work. She was caught breaking the rules and then abused the much lesser paid individual for doing his job for a good few minutes. The tone was clearly intimidating with the shouting and finger pointing. Just because someone is male it doesn't meaning they hold the power in a confrontation.
Commies are buying Nikes, feminists are cheering on workplace bullying.

We are living in amazing times.

horrie hastings

First Grade
What a final in the Sydney International between Petra Kvitova and Ashleigh Barty, heart breaking loss for Barty but full credit to Kvitova, she seemed down and out after the first set but stuck in there after finishing her previous match at 1am the same day and going into the last couple of games she started cramping up, full credit to both players who gave it all and with no carrying on under very difficult conditions, both players were a credit to woman’s tennis, just hope Serena Williams was watching, she could learn some pointers on how to conduct her self after that.

LatK7

First Grade
Brave stuff from Murray. Did himself proud.

Fed looked solid against Istomin. No idea how a guy that old can do that so efficiently...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Geez the Channel 9 coverage is ordinary.

They show way too much women's tennis which surely most people don't give a f**k about.

The likes of Tsitsipas and Schwartzmann are on court in good matches and we get served up Sloane Stephens.

In the name of what, diversity for diversity sake?

Ffs put the real tennis on tv ya merkins.

Bazal

Post Whore

They show way too much women's tennis which surely most people don't give a f**k about.

The likes of Tsitsipas and Schwartzmann are on court in good matches and we get served up Sloane Stephens.

Have you watched their cricket and NRL coverage?

Did you expect any different?

I switch over from time to time to have the silky voice of Phil Liggett soothe my frustrations

abpanther

Staff member

It's just not the same without this guy -

Timbo

Staff member
Good to see after years of f**king up cricket and NRL, Nine can still find space to f**k up another favourite Australian sport.

How hard is it to put a camera behind the centre service line for f**ks sake? Why is it off centre? Beyond their studio hosts, almost all of their commentary is lifted from ESPN or Eurosport, and their graphics are the generic ones the ITF uses on their master feeds.

Why does any sport sign contracts with these f**king useless pricks?

some11

Referee
Why does any sport sign contracts with these f**king useless pricks?
Off topic but I really hope 10's new owners can put themselves in a position to snatch the NRL in a few years.

I haven't caught much of the open yet, I generally start watching around 4R and quarters.

horrie hastings

First Grade

I like a good mix between the men’s and women’s matches, some how with being able to have two matches showing on 9 and 9 Gem they still can’t do that.
My main gripe with 9 is that while they were showing the Women’s final in The Sydney tournament that with the news they had to switch between the main channel and Gem, generally not a big problem but once the news was due to come on switched it over to the coverage on Gem and they had the closing credits from the movie just shown rolling and then the annoying ch9 sport presentation come up so ended up missing a really vital point in the play, just not good enough, I noticed this happened in one of the men’s match I was watching too, Gem wasn’t ready to go when it was switched from 9.

Bazal

Post Whore
They've just had Svitolina belting Kuzmova on the main channel, while a potentially very good match between Nishikori and Karlovic has been on Gem.

I kind of understand they want to have Wawrinka and Raonic on the main channel, which is up soon, but that's what you've got two channels for guys

Tommy Smith

Referee
I like a good mix between the men’s and women’s matches, some how with being able to have two matches showing on 9 and 9 Gem they still can’t do that.
My main gripe with 9 is that while they were showing the Women’s final in The Sydney tournament that with the news they had to switch between the main channel and Gem, generally not a big problem but once the news was due to come on switched it over to the coverage on Gem and they had the closing credits from the movie just shown rolling and then the annoying ch9 sport presentation come up so ended up missing a really vital point in the play, just not good enough, I noticed this happened in one of the men’s match I was watching too, Gem wasn’t ready to go when it was switched from 9.
The problem I have with the women's tennis is that it's totally devolved into a contest between ball bashing banshees.

Just about the only female tennis player I enjoy watching is Hsieh Su-wei, because she plays tennis with so much style - using grace, nuance, slices, angles.

The women's game also lacks consistent star power at the top. There's like a revolving Iron Curtain of Eastern European women who reach the summit for a year or two and then disappear. They also unanimously have all the personality of a boiled potato.

And Serena's personality basically consists of being a really fake, nasty bitch.

So both in terms of style of play and star power the women's game has been in decline since Justine Henin retired.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The problem I have with the women's tennis is that it's totally devolved into a contest between ball bashing banshees.

Just about the only female tennis player I enjoy watching is Hsieh Su-wei, because she plays tennis with so much style - using grace, nuance, slices, angles.

The women's game also lacks consistent star power at the top. There's like a revolving Iron Curtain of Eastern European women who reach the summit for a year or two and then disappear. They also unanimously have all the personality of a boiled potato.

And Serena's personality basically consists of being a really fake, nasty bitch.

So both in terms of style of play and star power the women's game has been in decline since Justine Henin retired.

Yeah I know where you are coming from but the Barty vs Kvitova Sydney final was a classic with no carry on, grunting or screaming, just tennis, both ladies were a credit to the sport. The less said about Serena the better, she is a foul mouth spoiled harpee.
Give me the time back when it was beautiful to watch Evonne Goolagong/ Cawley glide around the tennis court, she was beautiful to watch play and nothing never flustered her.