What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
Hmm he wasn't in the same kind of demand as Cleary or is he playing in such a vital position or he has he been getting anywhere near the same kind of hype as Nathan, since Nathans debut he has been one of the more talked up prodigies in the game currently. RCG might be on overs but he just as easily could've taken less from us than other clubs were offering. Nathan could've done the same, but the likelihood of Nathan receiving ridiculously big offers is a lot higher than it is with RCG IMO.

He was a test player before he started talks. I have never said how much overs he is just that he is paid on potential not current worth.

The 3 you mentioned are the same either due to previous experience or in Cleary's case building. I'd put Blake, JFH and Kikau in that boat. Come 2021 or so all should be outstanding though.

Then 4 or 5 that should be on minimum wage that aren't...Lets round it to 10 players I think are on overs in the squad. I have never once said we are x amount over. How many of the top 4 teams have 1/3 of the squad on overs? That is why I think we are an 5-8th finishing team

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree Aekins needs to move on for his own sake. Especially if Edwards and DWZ both stay, as he won't even be the back up full back for injury cover, with both of them around.

Re Lui Toso, will be interesting to see if Cleary picks him over Grant if there are front row injuries or drop in form.

You'd hope the coach is prepared to use everyone in the squad

Kilkenny

Coach
The whole notion of ‘paying overs’ is highly subjective and a matter of ones opinion. In reality most contracts are simply market value or what it takes to either recruit or retain a player. Kikau & Blake are the two best examples as they would have been in high demand and been offered ridiculous money had Gould not been able to get the deals done. It is highly probable both signed for less than they could have received on the open market and therefore it could be argued they may be paid ‘unders’. We have other players who are arguably being paid unders such as Mansour & DWZ.

betcats

Referee
He was a test player before he started talks. I have never said how much overs he is just that he is paid on potential not current worth.

The 3 you mentioned are the same either due to previous experience or in Cleary's case building. I'd put Blake, JFH and Kikau in that boat. Come 2021 or so all should be outstanding though.

Then 4 or 5 that should be on minimum wage that aren't...Lets round it to 10 players I think are on overs in the squad. I have never once said we are x amount over. How many of the top 4 teams have 1/3 of the squad on overs? That is why I think we are an 5-8th finishing team

The minimum wage thing is news to me, Gus is no fool though, if we aren't paying anyone minum wage we are paying a few blokes close to it.

franklin2323

Immortal
The minimum wage thing is news to me, Gus is no fool though, if we aren't paying anyone minum wage we are paying a few blokes close to it.

I forget the week it was or I would link it. It was when Manly got their cap penalty in his podcast when explaining how the cap works.

Even $10k over per player adds up across the squad.

Kilkenny

Coach

The minimum wage for 2019 is $105,000-00 and based on what has been said by Gus and others in the know our minimum earners,say one or two players , would be earning say $120K, perhaps another one or two on $150K, and then I would expect everyone else the top 25 earners would be 200K and above.

Crashtest

Juniors
Unless Gus mismanaged the cap and we already used that to re-sign guys like Kikau and Waqa Blake.

That is probably closer to what happened

I just checked online to confirm who we have re-signed recently. The list of players re-signed from the end of 2017 to the end of 2018, and why are cap is fully utlized, are:

James Fisher-Harris, Waqa Blake, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Dylan Edwards, Tyrone May, Isaah Yeo, Josh Mansour, Nick Lui-Toso, Jack Hetherington, Kaide Ellis, Caleb Aekins, Viliame Kikau, Moses Leota, Jarome Luai, Liam Martin, Nathan Cleary.

Plus added Maloney at the end of 2017 and Grant, Sele, Fuimaono, and MWZ at end of 2018.

I can't regard it as mismanagement from Gus using the cap to upgrade and keep that many of our talented players together.

franklin2323

Immortal
I just checked online to confirm who we have re-signed recently. The list of players re-signed from the end of 2017 to the end of 2018, and why are cap is fully utlized, are:

James Fisher-Harris, Waqa Blake, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Dylan Edwards, Tyrone May, Isaah Yeo, Josh Mansour, Nick Lui-Toso, Jack Hetherington, Kaide Ellis, Caleb Aekins, Viliame Kikau, Moses Leota, Jarome Luai, Liam Martin, Nathan Cleary.

Plus added Maloney at the end of 2017 and Grant, Sele, Fuimaono, and MWZ at end of 2018.

I can't regard it as mismanagement from Gus using the cap to upgrade and keep that many of our talented players together.

Who has gone though? If Moylan, Bryce, Hiku, Merrin etc decide not too leave. The majority of those are gone.

Abacus

Juniors
Who has gone though? If Moylan, Bryce, Hiku, Merrin etc decide not too leave. The majority of those are gone.
FMD franklin, you ramble absolute shit. I know its off season and you want to keep the talk going, but at least put some thought into your posts.

If Moylan stays, we likely retain Latu and don't have Maloney.
If Merrin stays, we likely lose JFH & Luai (or pay them less in 2019, more in 2020/2021 to retain them).
Bryce & Peachey going gave us the warchest for Kikau, Blake & Cleary to not even test the market.
Hiku would be off contract now anyway (and I can't believe anyone thinks that getting rid of Hiku early is anything other than good cap management).

franklin2323

Immortal
FMD franklin, you ramble absolute shit. I know its off season and you want to keep the talk going, but at least put some thought into your posts.

If Moylan stays, we likely retain Latu and don't have Maloney.
If Merrin stays, we likely lose JFH & Luai (or pay them less in 2019, more in 2020/2021 to retain them).
Bryce & Peachey going gave us the warchest for Kikau, Blake & Cleary to not even test the market.
Hiku would be off contract now anyway (and I can't believe anyone thinks that getting rid of Hiku early is anything other than good cap management).

Which is my point. We are in this situation (Having a team 2 years from peaking) due to getting lucky with players agreeing to leave. Luai won't even have a FG starting spot until 2021 Unless Maloney leaves early.

I'd ask why did we sign Hiku in the 1st place. We so quick to re-sign Merrin, Moylan and Bryce.

Which is my point. We are in this situation (Having a team 2 years from peaking) due to getting lucky with players agreeing to leave. Luai won't even have a FG starting spot until 2021 Unless Maloney leaves early.

I'd ask why did we sign Hiku in the 1st place. We so quick to re-sign Merrin, Moylan and Bryce.
Surely this is Maloney's last year

betcats

Referee
more good luck then good management really. It takes 2 sides to agree to a release

Oh bullshit, give credit where it is due. We have done exceptionally well to retain the talent that we have. We’ve also signed internationals and origin reps as well as brought in some very good young talent to add to what we have developed and retained ourselves.

If anyone who hadn’t been paying attention to the panthers listened to you they’d think we’d have a shifty squad and salary cap problems which is so far from the truth.

betcats

Referee

You are literally going back years the club lol so desperately trying to criticise our management.

franklin2323

Immortal
You are literally going back years the club lol so desperately trying to criticise our management.

Bryce, Merrin and Moylan were under contract until 2021.
Latu to 2020.
Peachey and CHN would still be under contract this year

So yes they were released not in the past year but they still helped the cap by leaving.

franklin2323

Immortal
Oh bullshit, give credit where it is due. We have done exceptionally well to retain the talent that we have. We’ve also signed internationals and origin reps as well as brought in some very good young talent to add to what we have developed and retained ourselves.

If anyone who hadn’t been paying attention to the panthers listened to you they’d think we’d have a shifty squad and salary cap problems which is so far from the truth.

I have said and still do say we have a team set to peak in 2-3 seasons. The issues for me are we could of done more to strengthen the team for the season or 2 until the guys hit their peak.

We always seem to be looking too far ahead and miss the right now.

Latest posts