What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

Bazal

Post Whore
Starc would be hard pressed to make the elite list of scariest bowlers that I've ever seen.

Starc would be quite scary IMO. He'd always be those few kms quicker than you thought he should be. Deceptive action

Ambles in, rips through the crease and bowls 150 from a good height with in swing.

Short stuff isn't scary by itself. A guy like Starc or Bumrah would scare me more than a guy like, say, Neil Wagner from NZ who bowls bulk bouncers.

Eelogical

Referee
Starc would be quite scary IMO. He'd always be those few kms quicker than you thought he should be. Deceptive action

Ambles in, rips through the crease and bowls 150 from a good height with in swing.

Short stuff isn't scary by itself. A guy like Starc or Bumrah would scare me more than a guy like, say, Neil Wagner from NZ who bowls bulk bouncers.
I'm sure Starc is scary, just not elite scary from my observations of world cricket over 40 years.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm sure Starc is scary, just not elite scary from my observations of world cricket over 40 years.

Yeah not necessarily disagreeing with you....

Steyn or Lee at their best the scariest for mine. Maybe Shane Bond up there too

Eelementary

Post Whore
Brett Lee would have been scary as f**k to face, imo - lightning pace, and his yorkers were unplayable.

Shane Bond was scary, too.

Eelogical

Referee
Yeah not necessarily disagreeing with you....

Steyn or Lee at their best the scariest for mine. Maybe Shane Bond up there too
Scary usually means intimidating. The Windies took it to another level after getting pounded by Lillee and Thommo in 1975. The four horsemen of death....Colin Croft, Andy Roberts, Michael Holding and Joel Garner took it to another level after that series. Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose, Allan Donald.... I can easily name many others before Starc on the scary list of bowlers.

Bazal

Post Whore
Scary usually means intimidating. The Windies took it to another level after getting pounded by Lillee and Thommo in 1975. The four horsemen of death....Colin Croft, Andy Roberts, Michael Holding and Joel Garner took it to another level after that series. Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose, Allan Donald.... I can easily name many others before Starc on the scary list of bowlers.

I mean, not always. Warne and Murali were scary for eg...as a cricketer (albeit an ordinary one) I find different things scary. Hence for me, the scariest two in the world right now would probably be Bumrah and Starc in that order. Kagiso Rabada too.

The Windies greats were before my time although I've obviously seen a lot of their footage. Curtly was scary for sure. Wasim was far scarier than Donald IMO, although White Lightning could f**ken bowl.

But Steyn and Lee are plenty intimidating...back them to be quicker than most of the others too. Starc is probably next rung down from those.

Actually in full flight Mitch Johnson would be up there too.

Eelogical

Referee
I mean, not always. Warne and Murali were scary for eg...as a cricketer (albeit an ordinary one) I find different things scary. Hence for me, the scariest two in the world right now would probably be Bumrah and Starc in that order. Kagiso Rabada too.

The Windies greats were before my time although I've obviously seen a lot of their footage. Curtly was scary for sure. Wasim was far scarier than Donald IMO, although White Lightning could f**ken bowl.

But Steyn and Lee are plenty intimidating...back them to be quicker than most of the others too. Starc is probably next rung down from those.

Actually in full flight Mitch Johnson would be up there too.
The Windies greats came off the back of pure pace and racial sledging by the aussies in '75. They gave back far more than the took after that series. If I had to pick the most feared fast bowler that I've seen I'd go for Malcolm Marshall.

84 Baby

Referee
Scariest would easily be Garner. He’d be poking you in the eye with his long leg from the other end of wicket

Eelementary

Post Whore
Does pure, raw pace make a bowler intimidating?

Would bowlers such as Shaun Tait, and Shoaib Akhtar, be intimidating?

Personally, I'd say no to Shoaib (he'd bowl two overs of 150kph+ thunderbolts, and then do nothing for the rest of the game), and maybe on Tait.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Does pure, raw pace make a bowler intimidating?

Would bowlers such as Shaun Yit, and Shoaib Akhtar, be intimidating?

Personally, I'd say no to Shoaib (her bowl two overs of 150kph+ thunderbolts, and then do nothing for the rest of the game), and maybe on Tait.

Pure pace is only intimidating if you use it well.

Akhtar was rubbish. Matt Hayden is a complete tool but his story about counting him out in a Test match in the UAE is bang on the money. Gutless wonder. That said the scary thing would be that you never knew, as a batsman, which Akhtar might show up.

Those great Windies bowlers wouldn't be half as scary in an era where batsmen have grown up with lids and attacking the short ball. Which is not to say they aren't great by any means, just that the game changes.

Bazal

Post Whore
More interesting than some half cocked post game thread....Aus vs NZ!

I'm keen on the opening bowler battle here. Behrendorff & Starc vs Boult and Ferguson....swing and pace.

Bazal

Post Whore
WHY THE F**K IS COLIN DE BIGMAN OPENING THE BOWLING????

Deadset it's like opening with the fat fifth grade fill-in in grade cricket

Latest posts