What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Happy MEel

First Grade
So having two tenacious type players, be it similar types, isn't good for our team? How many times have we heard or read " if only we had a team full of N Brown type of players in our team we would be..."?

Well if we had two, it would be a step in the right direction. Sure they are similar, but that does not matter. If they were both QLDers I'm sure they would find a way to have them both in the same team. Our frontrow sucks. Having two middle forwards of their caliber would remedy a lot to our ruck problem. Then all we would need is one more big unit frontrower that is dominant and our forwards are pretty much set.

Imagine being able to pick from, not in any particular order, for our run on forwards and bench -

Christian Welch
Reed Mahoney
Junior Paulo
Shaun Lane
Marata Niukore
Jai Arrow

Jaeman Salmon
Kane Evans
Manu Ma'u
Oregon Kaufusi
Stefano Utoikamanu
Ray Stone
Dave Gower
Fair point Rammy and perhaps Utoikamanu/Kaufusi can play that big bopper role for us. I just think the money we’d have to outlay for an arrow, might be better served.

TheRam

Coach
I agree he's a quality player, I just don't agree he's displayed any effective leadership in his career.

That doesn't mean he's not a leader but if he is, how the f**k would you know?

By the way he carries himself on and off the field ffs. He speaks well and leads by example. He is a leader. Better already then anyone we have in our forward rotation. His representative appearances are testimony to that also. Just open your God damn eyes Pou.

Or better yet, f**k your eyes merkin.

TheRam

Coach
You left out Brown. Is that how you're going to fit Paulo, Arrow and Welch under the cap?

Amended.

No, I would find a way to offload most of the other NRL experienced forwards in our roster and replace them with juniors or new cheap recruits with hopefully some potential to make the NRL.

At the moment we are carrying to many similar ordinary NRL forwards. We should replace them with quality and young potential up comers. We should be able to afford the team of forwards that I have listed if we cull the excess to requirements.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Nathan Browns ok. But of our forwards has the some of the least impact AMD gets man handled a bit. On form he hasnt captured 2017 when he was excellent.
When Tepai is on his runs are more damaging.Thats is what is frustrating with Tepai. He is capable.
Serious? He’s three games back from a pretty decent shoulder injury and has averaged over 150m from an average 52 minutes per game (18 runs). This includes 35 post contact metres per game. He’s doing fine.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Based on form
Gower,Jnr, Manu and Lane seem our most important forwards
I think you have to include Nrown in that list purely by the lift in our performances since his return. Whether it is his output on the field or the leadership he brings, we are an infinitely better team with him in it.

TheRam

Coach
Fair point Rammy and perhaps Utoikamanu/Kaufusi can play that big bopper role for us. I just think the money we’d have to outlay for an arrow, might be better served.

Of course if he is over priced, then we should not recruit him. What is over priced? The amount that tips our roster off balance and compromised the quality of the top 20 or so players and that is for the football department to workout.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Of course if he is over priced, then we should not recruit him. What is over priced? The amount that tips our roster off balance and compromised the quality of the top 20 or so players and that is for the football department to workout.
I don’t think you can have this conversation without considering his price. Otherwise, why aren’t we also talking about recruiting Cam Smith, Luke Keary, Boyd Cordner, Kalyn Ponga, Taumolo etc.

TheRam

Coach
He would. He's a better player than Brown or Paulo, and would cost more than both.

Price is relevant on the rest of the roster and irrelevant in isolation. But quality is always relevant no matter what Pou, something you can't seem to grasp. Also who knows we might be in a position of acquiring TPA finally. Who the F knows?

Eelementary

Post Whore

The only issue is Utoikamanu is unproven, whereas Arrow is an Origin forward.

I rate Stefano very highly, but he could - in theory - turn out to be a fizzer at First Grade level; at least there is a degree of certainty there with Arrow that you know what you'll get.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
The only issue is Utoikamanu is unpriven, whereas Arrow is an Origin forward.

I rate Stefano very highly, but he could - in theory - turn out to be a fizzer at First Grade level; at least there is a degree of certainty there with Arriw that you know what you'll get.
Absolutely. If they were both evenly priced it wouldn’t even be a question. But in the age of salary caps you have to find value in your roster.

I also don’t think we should be relying solely on an untested Utoikamanu, which is why I think Welsh would be a decent pick up. Although he is now an “origin player”, I don’t think he’d cost as much as Arrow.

This would do nicely for next year (salaries are obviously estimates/guesses)

1. Gutho ($650k)
2. Fergo ($500k)
3. Blake ($500k)
4. Jennings ($400k)
5. Sivo ($200k)
6. Drown (upgrade to $500k)
7. Moses ($850k)
8. Paulo ($600k)
9. Mahoney ($300k)
10. Welsh ($500k)
11. Lane ($400k)
12. Mau ($400k)
13. Nrown ($600k)

14. Salmon ($300k)
15. Utoikamanu ($250k)
16. Niukore ($250k)
17. Gower ($200k)

18. Kaufusi ($200k)
19. Evans ($400k)
20. Tep ($200k)
21. Terepo ($200k)
22. Davies ($100k)
23. Davey ($100k)
24. Parry ($100k)
25. Stone ($150k)
26. Alvaro ($300k based on taking up option)
27. Hoffman ($200k)
28. French ($200k)
29. Schneider ($100k)
30. Smith :pensive: ($150k)

This would come to $9.8 million, which would leave us about $400k spare.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think if we brought in Welch we wouldn't get much value out of him based purely on his playing ability. He would improve our defence but we have better attacking forwards, which is where the big money goes. I assume we've identified Welch as a leader, which would justify us outlaying the kind of money required to bring him here.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Absolutely. If they were both evenly priced it wouldn’t even be a question. But in the age of salary caps you have to find value in your roster.

I also don’t think we should be relying solely on an untested Utoikamanu, which is why I think Welsh would be a decent pick up. Although he is now an “origin player”, I don’t think he’d cost as much as Arrow.

This would do nicely for next year

1. Gutho ($650k)
2. Fergo ($500k)
3. Blake ($500k)
4. Jennings ($400k)
5. Sivo ($200k)
6. Drown (upgrade to $500k)
7. Moses ($850k)
8. Paulo ($600k)
9. Mahoney ($300k)
10. Welsh ($500k)
11. Lane ($400k)
12. Mau ($400k)
13. Nrown ($600k)

14. Salmon ($300k)
15. Utoikamanu ($250k)
16. Niukore ($250k)
17. Gower ($200k)

18. Kaufusi ($200k)
19. Evans ($400k)
20. Tep ($200k)
21. Terepo ($200k)
22. Davies ($100k)
23. Davey ($100k)
24. Parry ($100k)
25. Stone ($150k)
26. Alvaro ($300k based on taking up option)
27. Hoffman ($200k)
28. French ($200k)
29. Schneider ($100k)
30. Smith :pensive: ($150k)

This would come to $9.7 million, which would leave us almost $500k spare.

Welch would be a great signing.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think if we brought in Welch we wouldn't get much value out of him based purely on his playing ability. He would improve our defence but we have better attacking forwards, which is where the big money goes. I assume we've identified Welch as a leader, which would justify us outlaying the kind of money required to bring him here.

But that's our biggest weakness; we have a team with top 4 attack, but the worst defence in the league.

Welch might help turn our defensive attitude around.

Happy MEel

First Grade
He’s not a standout attacking middle but he definitely gets through his work. Averaging 113 metres per game, over 2 tackle breaks per game and has an offload (15 so far). Our middle defence is exactly where we need to improve. I think someone who has learnt how to wrestle down in Melbourne is exactly what we need.

hindy111

Post Whore
Serious? He’s three games back from a pretty decent shoulder injury and has averaged over 150m from an average 52 minutes per game (18 runs). This includes 35 post contact metres per game. He’s doing fine.

Maybe. Seemed to be getting man handled a lot and passing game way out of touch. 2017 I thought he was top 10 forwards in game.