What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 Vs Titans

Ours the last few weeks is happening in spite of him then. We have an entire team of coaches. Someone is doing it.

Just saying “spread the ball” isn’t much of coaching. That’s what Griffin likely said too, look at how many points in the past 3 years came from outside the 20.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
I mean, Ivan’s career has consisted of coaching teams with Soward and Smith in the halves and Esan Marsters being his best attacking player. No shit his teams don’t score the most points.

10Grand

Juniors
Ours the last few weeks is happening in spite of him then. We have an entire team of coaches. Someone is doing it.
Agree..All clubs have assistant coaches now surely they just not there to carry drinks.all successful teams also have good coaching staff and nearly always the type of players at disposal makes a difference in attack.
If we had teddy and Lattrel playing for us then Ivan would have been regarded as the best attacking coach.Iam all for strong defence

OldPanther

Coach
You bag Lord Sowie again and we'll have issues

giphy.gif

franklin2323

Immortal
So we put in an ugly scrappy win against a terrible team (running last now) and we now have guys convinced we are better off without our State of Origin halfback?

We scored 4 tries against the team in last place who are on the verge of sacking their coach. We showed some good signs. But we have to be realistic about the opposition we were playing.

We scored 3 tries each against Roosters and Souths in tough wins... both top 4 sides. We score 1 more try against the team running last and somehow that's a sign our attack is better?

We should have had many more tries last night. Titans effort went along way to allowing everyone to look better than they would have against a good side. I was more proud of our defence than attack. Even in the dying minutes the effort was there to keep Titans tryless. As ugly as we played at times. We put in effort for 80 minutes. Even against a shit team once the game was well and truly won.

We scored 4 tries off non structured play. Which is where Cleary struggles

franklin2323

Immortal
Looks like Maloney will play on.

And Cleary totally offers this team something. I'd have him in the 17 with Luai too. Odd one out is Kenny for me, has been doing well but Egan needs to start again.

Kenny went too lock as 1st change last night. Maybe that is the way to fit them in

I'm starting to wonder if you're just arguing with me just because :yum:

Im honestly not. You said being fine with spreading the ball isn’t the same as coaching, I just phrased it poorly. When I said “fine”, what I meant was that was his attacking strategy. Was the same at the broncos.

So under a previous coaching system where the policy was to spread the ball, Nathan didn’t exactly flourish.

To me what Nathan needs is a coach that can devise good set plays, he strikes me as a player who would follow set plays to a T. I think this is why someone like Cronk thrived under Bellamy, he’s really good at strategy. If Cronk had come up under another coach there’s a fair chance he wouldn’t have been nearly as good.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe. I think people will be surprised in the near future as there seems to be a clear difference in coaching style now.

The issue isn't him. The issue is his dad's poor tactics. Look at the tries we scored the past few weeks. None are well structured tries... So we aren't playing a style to suit him

franklin2323

Immortal
Im honestly not. You said being fine with spreading the ball isn’t the same as coaching, I just phrased it poorly. When I said “fine”, what I meant was that was his attacking strategy. Was the same at the broncos.

So under a previous coaching system where the policy was to spread the ball, Nathan didn’t exactly flourish.

To me what Nathan needs is a coach that can devise good set plays, he strikes me as a player who would follow set plays to a T. I think this is why someone like Cronk thrived under Bellamy, he’s really good at strategy. If Cronk had come up under another coach there’s a fair chance he wouldn’t have been nearly as good.

That is it for me. If I as a coach want a team to play the exact plan week in week out. Nathan is the 1st player I pick.. Problem is the tactics are poor atm. Hopefully Brennan or someone comes on as attack coach and helps fix that

I mean, Ivan’s career has consisted of coaching teams with Soward and Smith in the halves and Esan Marsters being his best attacking player. No shit his teams don’t score the most points.

Brent Tate, Manu Vatuvei, James Maloney, Wade McKinnon

Some of the attacking options from his warrior days.

Plus he built that team

franklin2323

Immortal
Which as with his partnership with Moylan, Luai/Cleary has real promise I believe. It didn't quite work with Matty but I believe that was due to other issues.

And aside from 2014 we were never a top team playing that style. Need better structure to see the best from Nathan.

To'o tries both off unstructured play from Maloney... Put Cleary in that spot we don't score those.

Edwards 2 tries. Similar off unstructured play from Luai.. Again Cleary in his place we don't score them

Dave's mate

Juniors
And aside from 2014 we were never a top team playing that style. Need better structure to see the best from Nathan.

To'o tries both off unstructured play from Maloney... Put Cleary in that spot we don't score those.

Edwards 2 tries. Similar off unstructured play from Luai.. Again Cleary in his place we don't score them
2014 is by far the best we have played since 2003-2004 and that does give me some hope that Ivan can coach....a bit

OldPanther

Coach

I agree he needs to be developed as Cronk was.

I agree he needs to be developed as Cronk was.

The other thing is, he needs to get back to running the ball more directly at the line. In 2017 he’s scored 11 tries, which is a lot for a half.

So his passing game might not flourish in a system that throws it around, but his running game could. I’d say it’s his best attacking weapon.

Latest posts