What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Kilkenny

Coach
Do you want top 8 only or too win comps? You need depth to win comps.

Whare rarely plays a whole season. Naden may get 2nd year syndrome. Cleary should play origin. So depth is important.

There is enough easy teams to win half of your games. Taking that next step is harder

When is the last time Roosters or Storm didn't replace who they lost? Roosters already have Kyle Flanagan and Lam to fight out as Cronk's replacement. Storm added Kata mid season

We have enjoyed more successful seasons in the last 5-6 seasons than in any time in our history. No premierships granted and frankly I agree we haven’t quite had the sides to go all the way.

I hate the notion or suggestion there are easy games in the NRL. There are no gimme two points as is proven time and time again.

Whether you like it or not we aren’t a club that can buy a premiership. Our next premiership year will be on the back of local juniors that is a fact just like it was for our two premierships in 91 and 03.

Just like all of us I would love to win the premiership but I am realistic and given I have been with the club for it’s entire duration I take pride in the fact we have record membership numbers, healthy home crowds, more wins than losses and the prospect the next GF win is on the horizon if not just this season.

As a fan of any club, regardless of the code, the country, the game if your are only motivated by the concept of winning the ultimate prize then you may as well change your support to which ever club wins the ultimate prize in which ever code you follow.

We haven’t lost anyone who was not deemed surplus to requirements for whatever reason and as history has shown the vast majority of players who have been allowed to leave the club has underperformed at there new clubs.

OldPanther

Coach
Do you want top 8 only or too win comps? You need depth to win comps.

Whare rarely plays a whole season. Naden may get 2nd year syndrome. Cleary should play origin. So depth is important.

There is enough easy teams to win half of your games. Taking that next step is harder

When is the last time Roosters or Storm didn't replace who they lost? Roosters already have Kyle Flanagan and Lam to fight out as Cronk's replacement. Storm added Kata mid season

Depth is overrated when it comes to winning the comp. Roosters are traditionally weak yet are constant finalists. The stat that get cited most is keeping the top 17 on the field without injuries are the more likely to win it.

Abacus

Juniors
Depth is overrated when it comes to winning the comp. Roosters are traditionally weak yet are constant finalists. The stat that get cited most is keeping the top 17 on the field without injuries are the more likely to win it.
Agreed. Typically fewest players used wind up as premiers.

franklin2323

Immortal

No team goes through without a single injury. As it stands no backup centre or halfback yet.

OldPanther

Coach
No team goes through without a single injury. As it stands no backup centre or halfback yet.

That's true but so is what I said. A team with significant injuries in the halves aren't winning a comp and you won't get a half who is good enough quality to stay on such low pay or stay in reserve grade just in case your front line halves get injured. You have no choice but to spend on the top 17 and hope they stay fit as much as possible particularly in the spine or you will not win the prem.

Look at your Roosters example. Flanagan is Cronk's replacement not depth for injury. They are paying bucket loads for their 1 - 9 and hoping they stay fit to the point Cronk played the GF with a broken shoulder.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's true but so is what I said. A team with significant injuries in the halves aren't winning a comp and you won't get a half who is good enough quality to stay on such low pay or stay in reserve grade just in case your front line halves get injured. You have no choice but to spend on the top 17 and hope they stay fit as much as possible particularly in the spine or you will not win the prem.

Look at your Roosters example. Flanagan is Cronk's replacement not depth for injury. They are paying bucket loads for their 1 - 9 and hoping they stay fit to the point Cronk played the GF with a broken shoulder.

Parra aside every team this year at some stage has had a stack of injuries. The trick is to be fit come finals time but you need depth before then.

OldPanther

Coach
Parra aside every team this year at some stage has had a stack of injuries. The trick is to be fit come finals time but you need depth before then.

We have the best depth in the comp. Our development players would do a better job than most club's back ups. Look what Naden and To'o have done and Crichton is suppose to be as good if not better than them. We have Egan who can play half as well as Blore on the development list, we have some excellent young forwards and a stack of second rowers who can play as mobile props like Cameron Murray when needed. We are literally next level at this part of the game since the club fixed the development systems in recent years.

franklin2323

Immortal
We have the best depth in the comp. Our development players would do a better job than most club's back ups. Look what Naden and To'o have done and Crichton is suppose to be as good if not better than them. We have Egan who can play half as well as Blore on the development list, we have some excellent young forwards and a stack of second rowers who can play as mobile props like Cameron Murray when needed. We are literally next level at this part of the game since the club fixed the development systems in recent years.

Round 1 this year neither Naden or To'o was in our squad though. So there was a big chance neither would be playing that is where we need to improve

OldPanther

Coach
Round 1 this year neither Naden or To'o was in our squad though. So there was a big chance neither would be playing that is where we need to improve

I guess that's on whoever we have identifying talent and selecting the roster which I guess is Ivan now. Hopefully he does a good job with it.

Crashtest

Juniors
Changes to the salary cap for clubs who develop their juniors like those proposed by Fletcher and Turner in this article would certainly help our cap for next season and beyond. But there is no way the clubs that recruit rather than develop would ever vote to approve these changes though and give the developing clubs an advantage.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...ns-for-home-grown-talent-20190727-p52bbv.html

The proposal included clubs receiving a 5, 10 or 15 per cent discount on their cap, depending on whether the player had come through Harold Matthews Cup, SG Ball and under-20s system.

Crashtest

Juniors
Wrong thread.
I was saying that these sort of cap discounts would help our cap situation next season.

DWZ and Blake were released to ease cap pressure for 2020. Both of these juniors who would of been eligible for cap discounts in this sort of proposed cap discount, in addition to the other players in our squad who are juniors well, and we wouldn’t have had a cap issue for 2020.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
I was saying that these sort of cap discounts would help our cap situation next season.

DWZ and Blake were released to ease cap pressure for 2020. Both of these juniors who would of been eligible for cap discounts in this sort of proposed cap discount, in addition to the other players in our squad who are juniors well, and we wouldn’t have had a cap issue for 2020.

I think you've quoted the wrong comment. I posted in the wrong thread and deleted it and moved it to the right one. Nothing wrong with what you said.

kinghippo

Juniors
Keeping your top 17 is obviously beneficial but to say the roosters don’t have depth is way off.
Look at their team this year especially in the backs. Brett Morris was bought as a depth player and they still have a English international behind him.
Their forward depth has been very well managed as well.

OldPanther

Coach
Keeping your top 17 is obviously beneficial but to say the roosters don’t have depth is way off.
Look at their team this year especially in the backs. Brett Morris was bought as a depth player and they still have a English international behind him.
Their forward depth has been very well managed as well.

Exactly. Morris was seen as busted and too old when the Roosters bought him. English backs have a history of failure here. A couple of cheap options which can fill a role to provide money for more important positions.

Their forward rotation fell to pieces without JWH and Friend.

kinghippo

Juniors
Exactly. Morris was seen as busted and too old when the Roosters bought him. English backs have a history of failure here. A couple of cheap options which can fill a role to provide money for more important positions.

Their forward rotation fell to pieces without JWH and Friend.
Morris left the dogs on $800,000 to go to the roosters, as a depth signing. Hall was the leading try scorer in in England the year before. They are marquee signings in any other club.
Most teams gambles with depth, the roosters get exactly what they want.

OldPanther

Coach
Morris left the dogs on $800,000 to go to the roosters, as a depth signing. Hall was the leading try scorer in in England the year before. They are marquee signings in any other club.
Most teams gambles with depth, the roosters get exactly what they want.

Yes but the English comp is seen as inferior. Blake Austin is their best player in the comp at the moment.

You might be right about Morris but I remember all the comments of him being over the hill etc.

Abacus

Juniors
Team for round 1, 2020 based on current roster - to be updated as signings
  1. Edwards
  2. To'o
  3. Whare - but would love a Curtis Scott or Jack Bird.
  4. Burton
  5. Crichton
  6. Luai
  7. Cleary
  8. Tamou
  9. Egan - I'm backing him to step up next year. Been carrying a shoulder injury.
  10. JFH
  11. Kikau
  12. Martin
  13. Yeo - again giving him benefit of the doubt given he's been carrying a shoulder injury.
  14. Kenny
  15. Burns
  16. Leota
  17. Leniu
I think we'll need all 3 of Cleary, Luai & Burton on the field in 2020 so Burton at left centre seems the easiest way to achieve this.

While I have Kikau named at 2nd row, I'd be defending him in the middle with Yeo defending on the edge.

Latest posts