What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Brown

Spot On

Coach
He's taken the brunt of the 2nd slump for the year, blaming himself for playing the origin players against the Dogs which he believes was a mistake and had a negative effect on the side for a few weeks after.

He also hinted again at 'one thing' that happened that he wish he could have his time again with.

Zoidberg

First Grade
He's taken the brunt of the 2nd slump for the year, blaming himself gor playing the origin players against the Dogs which he believes was a mistake and had a negative effect on the side for a few weeks after.

He also hinted again at 'one thing' that happened that he wish he could have his time again with.
Do you think that thing was Ramien?

Spot On

Coach
Do you think that thing was Ramien?

Who knows? At a guess, you'd say yes.

He then went on to say we need to find 3 or 4 'key' recruits, Brailey being one, and others are 'in the pipeline'.

Also, 2020 will be the first time the best of the Newy juniors (4 or 5 players ) will come through since Brown started and add to the squad depth giving good, cheap value for a few yrs.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Who knows? At a guess, you'd say yes.

He then went on to say we need to find 3 or 4 'key' recruits, Brailey being one, and others are 'in the pipeline'.

Also, 2020 will be the first time the best of the Newy juniors (4 or 5 players ) will come through since Brown started and add to the squad depth giving good, cheap value for a few yrs.
That’s fine.

If the juniors are as good as he hopes, they better be signed long term. Otherwise they won’t be cheap in 12 months.

Not a knock on anybody. I hope this is true. I also have high hopes.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
We win that Warriors game, i bet we rest our SOO stars against the Dogs, and the rest of the season goes so much different.

Woosh

Head Moderator
After watching the interview I am pumped for next year.
Say what you want about Brown but he seems like a good bloke and talks well.
I don’t care if we don’t make the finals for the next few seasons as long as Brown can see his mistakes and he can get the team he really wants.

Yosh

Coach
After watching the interview I am pumped for next year.
Say what you want about Brown but he seems like a good bloke and talks well.
I don’t care if we don’t make the finals for the next few seasons as long as Brown can see his mistakes and he can get the team he really wants.

Oh... You're actually just a troll. I used to think you were being serious before but I see now. Finally I think I can start to enjoy your posts.

ryana87

Juniors
Didn't know where else to put this. But apparently Woolfe (defensive coach) is favourite to take over saints.

Of all the bad things to happen this year, our defence has definetly improved under Woolfe and it would be terrible to see him go

Frederick

Staff member
Didn't know where else to put this. But apparently Woolfe (defensive coach) is favourite to take over saints.

Of all the bad things to happen this year, our defence has definetly improved under Woolfe and it would be terrible to see him go
*St Helens in super league

aqua_duck

Coach
We win that Warriors game, i bet we rest our SOO stars against the Dogs, and the rest of the season goes so much different.
I'm not so sure. I mean sure it might've cost us 1 or 2 games but IMO that ignores the bigger issue of team cohesion and creativity in attack. Aside for 4-5 weeks when everything went right our attack has been very one dimensional and predicatable IMO.
There doesn't seem to be much more to the game plan then 3-4 one out hit ups/dummy half runs, then either pass to Ponga and hope for the best or a wide shift just for the sake of it rather then because there's something on followed by a high kick and unfortunately that formula doesn't deviate at all whether we're 20m out from our own line or 20m out from the opposition try line. Watching the roosters v raiders game and the Souths storm game on Sunday really highlighted to me all the things we either don't do well or don't do at all in attack. I think we're probably one of the worse teams when it comes to executing the sweep play, we don't really have any offload/2nd phase threats, we're terrible at attacking kicks both in terms of variety and execution, we don't use any short side raids, we're terrible at just executing simple decoy plays and our attack is way too flat.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Watching the roosters v raiders game and the Souths storm game on Sunday really highlighted to me all the things we either don't do well or don't do at all in attack. I think we're probably one of the worse teams when it comes to executing the sweep play, we don't really have any offload/2nd phase threats, we're terrible at attacking kicks both in terms of variety and execution, we don't use any short side raids, we're terrible at just executing simple decoy plays and our attack is way too flat.

Both those games on Sunday really did highlight our attacking ineptitude.

Canberra’s last ditch attempt to score length of the field to draw/win had every player in motion, everyone aware of what was needed and putting themselves in position to participate.

And happened at full speed as had the entire game.

Think back to our desperate last plays in those “tight games” which has apparently just now been identified as a failing by the coach.

Swarzey

Bench

The wheels were already coming off well before the Dogs game, lets not kid ourselves. Our season was destroyed by Melbourne.

perverse

Referee
I'm not so sure. I mean sure it might've cost us 1 or 2 games but IMO that ignores the bigger issue of team cohesion and creativity in attack. Aside for 4-5 weeks when everything went right our attack has been very one dimensional and predicatable IMO.
There doesn't seem to be much more to the game plan then 3-4 one out hit ups/dummy half runs, then either pass to Ponga and hope for the best or a wide shift just for the sake of it rather then because there's something on followed by a high kick and unfortunately that formula doesn't deviate at all whether we're 20m out from our own line or 20m out from the opposition try line. Watching the roosters v raiders game and the Souths storm game on Sunday really highlighted to me all the things we either don't do well or don't do at all in attack. I think we're probably one of the worse teams when it comes to executing the sweep play, we don't really have any offload/2nd phase threats, we're terrible at attacking kicks both in terms of variety and execution, we don't use any short side raids, we're terrible at just executing simple decoy plays and our attack is way too flat.
Totally agree with everything you've said. It's remarkable that we've managed to score enough points to win many of the games that we've dropped. We have problems on both sides of the ball. I feel like a bit of a broken record, but it's attitude that is most at fault. Look at how we performed for 10 minutes after we managed to score points this weekend just past. Suddenly everyone clicked into gear, and we looked like a totally different team until something went wrong. Players were in motion, blokes were running and hitting harder.

We're mentally weak, and outside of a few select players we really struggle to "maintain the rage" so to speak. I honestly don't know where the blame lays for certain. Some will blame the coach for not "getting the team up for it". Some will blame the captain for not being able to lift the team on the field. I think they both probably share it a bit to be honest. The truth is we've proven that we can get the job done with the current squad and staff, and for a little while it looked pretty exciting. We need to investigate why our form is so fragile and solve that problem. If that's the coach, so be it - he needs to move on. If it's something else, a bit of attitude cancer within the playing group or some such, then it all needs to be excised. Honestly, it could be both of those reasons feeding each other too. I'm not going to sit here and claim I have enough information based on 80 minutes of football per week to know what the cause is... but the problem stands out like dogs balls to me.

aqua_duck

Coach
Both those games on Sunday really did highlight our attacking ineptitude.

Canberra’s last ditch attempt to score length of the field to draw/win had every player in motion, everyone aware of what was needed and putting themselves in position to participate.

And happened at full speed as had the entire game.

Think back to our desperate last plays in those “tight games” which has apparently just now been identified as a failing by the coach.
I think what was most damning was when we were chasing points in the last 10 minutes we weren't even able to get out of our own half to be able to put ourselves in a situation to score, we were literally making 30m per set with a terrible kick straight to Gutherson on the end of it.

Yosh

Coach
Look... We suck... Something has to change. We have had four so years with the same formula and it just hasn't worked... We need something to change if we want to see our side compete.

We can:

1. Change the roster
2. Change coach
3. Change management

We have significantly changed/upgraded the roster but still suck.

Brown has gotten 90% of the roster he wants. He got us three spoons with a admittedly terrible roster but if the best he can do with our currently vastly improved is one more win a season... Surely that's damning enough?

Our management used to suck but I'm pretty happy with the direction we are going now. Seems like facilities are top notch and we have some great youngsters coming through. I'm pretty sure 90% of the fam base are happy with the management at the moment.

Latest posts