What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We do need to expand our national footprint but not at the expense of what we've got!.

Sydney maybe oversaturated but that's what makes it so valuable.

I certainly hear what you are saying but at this point some form of rationalisation is almost inevitable if we want to maintain our place as a top sport in the country in the coming decades.

My proposal was to expand our geographical footprint for growth whilst maintaining traditional RL brands in the top flight.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
RUGBY league broadcaster Channel 9 wants to kill off an existing NRL club to make way for a new Brisbane team in a move that could leave one of Sydney’s nine traditional clubs facing extinction.

The network wants – and is likely to get – the competition changes by 2023 when the next multi-billion dollar TV broadcast deal is in place.

Channel 9’s director of sport Tom Malone has told The Sunday Telegraph the network is against increasing the number of teams from 16 and wants at least one club to go to accomodate a new team.

“That could come from another team being relocated there, or better still another club being discontinued and a new club established in Brisbane,” Mr Malone said. “In a perfect world you’d probably have one or two less teams

“What clubs should go? I’m not going to get into that one. It’s a hard decision but probably one that needs to be made in the longer term interests of the game.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...b/news-story/fa6e23a82d259773416d11e91a66502c

I absolutely hate it how we let TV dictate to us on expansion and rationalisation. I am also curious as to why a TV company would not want an extra game. Is it because they know and fear that Fox will likely get it? Or that, extra game maybe sold to another FTA network?

flippikat

Bench
Yep not a bad idea. I went with my proposal because as things stand now with Manly in trouble with their ground and the Roosters owning significant land assets in Bondi.

However, either way I’d be happy as long as whichever clubs goes to the Central Coast fully embrace the area and whichever club stays in Sydney fully embraces the affluent North and East and plays out of the new Allianz (this May require a name change for Manly)

Yep, regardless of what would happen with Manly & Roosters, moving the Tigers to Perth would allow Souths to become the inner-west club, and Bulldogs potentially to be South-West.

So you could have.

Penrith (Far West, a couple of games in the country)
Parramatta (Self-explanatory)
South Sydney Rabbitohs (Redfern, extending into the Inner-west, playing at ANZ stadium)
Bulldogs (South-west. Maybe based at Campbelltown.. split games between redeveloped Campbelltown & ANZ if the A-league expansion team means decent Campbelltown upgrades)

Sharks / Tigers - relocated to Perth & Adelaide (either way could work)

Roosters - New SFS
Sea Eagles - Gosford - The odd heritage game/pre-season at Brookvale?
(Note those two could be Sea Eagles at SFS, Roosters at Gosford if the move is Roosters to the Central Coast)

Dragons to the 'Gong

Not a bad mix.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
We do need to expand our national footprint but not at the expense of what we've got!.

Sydney maybe oversaturated but that's what makes it so valuable.

AND Sydney, Illawarra through to the Central Coast is not oversaturated! It's a lie aimed at weakening the code in its most densely populated regions ! The whiteanting continues!

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Yep, regardless of what would happen with Manly & Roosters, moving the Tigers to Perth would allow Souths to become the inner-west club, and Bulldogs potentially to be South-West.

So you could have.

South Sydney Rabbitohs (Redfern, extending into the Inner-west, playing at ANZ stadium)
Bulldogs (South-west. Maybe based at Campbelltown.. split games between redeveloped Campbelltown & ANZ if the A-league expansion team means decent Campbelltown upgrades)

Roosters - New SFS
(Note those two could be Sea Eagles at SFS, Roosters at Gosford if the move is Roosters to the Central Coast)

Dragons to the 'Gong

Not a bad mix.

Why not just one team in Sydney, it would probably have the same effect with crowds as putting Sydney teams all over the place.
Seriously, the A League adds new Sydney teams,so do the Mexican fumblers,They will be rubbing their hands with glee re sponsors available and disgruntled fans.

Stallion

First Grade
Why not just one team in Sydney, it would probably have the same effect with crowds as putting Sydney teams all over the place.
Seriously, the A League adds new Sydney teams,so do the Mexican fumblers,They will be rubbing their hands with glee re sponsors available and disgruntled fans.

And the big mistake is : It's not just Sydney we are discussing. It's the Illawarra region, Sydney metropolitan and the Central Coast. Detail like this (which is massive ) is being ignored by these people whom quickly judge that there are too many top flight clubs in these densely populated areas. In fact their is a need for another club(Central Coast Bears )if people are serious about repairing some of the damage done courtesy of the super league 'agreement'!

MugaB

Coach

So you could have.

Roosters - New SFS

Dragons to the 'Gong

Not a bad mix.
Then why not move souths instead? Why tigers, and why sharks, why not roosters

flippikat

Bench

I suggested moving either Roosters or Sea Eagles to Gosford, and the other of those two to take over all parts north in the bridge (North Sydney & the Beaches).. the Roosters already have feeder arrangements with the Central Coast, so they're in the box seat if they're so inclined to move.

The Tigers were suggested because the inner-west is so congested (Parra, Bulldogs, Tigers & Souths all in that area to some extent - whether it's their catchment or their home ground or their supporter base). One or two of those teams could move or drop to NSW Cup.

Cronulla is an interesting one.. and if the Dragons move to the 'Gong, a case COULD be made for them as an "all of Southern Sydney" club... but if the Dragons persist in some kind of split in their home games, Cronulla remains an isolated enclave in the middle of Dragons territory - which is limiting to their growth.

T-Boon

Coach

There are several teams in the west of Sydney and none in the north of Sydney.

I think the Sea Eagles should relocate (maybe to Gosford) but there definitely needs to be a team north of the harbour and NSO is a way better location that Brookvale which is too far away from everywhere except it’s own self.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Several teams in the inner city area
Roosters, souths, dogs, dragons, cronulla, from ANZ to Allianz to
Kogarah, and to some extent tigers in Leichardt
Only really 3 in the west, parra, penrith, and tigers in parra and in campbelltown.
I'd be trying to bump 2 inner city teams
Souths, and Roosters

Walter sobchak

First Grade

I think the Sea Eagles should relocate (maybe to Gosford) but there definitely needs to be a team north of the harbour and NSO is a way better location that Brookvale which is too far away from everywhere except it’s own self.
Moving manly to the North Sydney oval or central coast seems logical.

T-Boon

Coach
Several teams in the inner city area
Roosters, souths, dogs, dragons, cronulla, from ANZ to Allianz to
Kogarah, and to some extent tigers in Leichardt
Only really 3 in the west, parra, penrith, and tigers in parra and in campbelltown.
I'd be trying to bump 2 inner city teams
Souths, and Roosters

Maybe relocating the Sea Eagles to NSO is the go. Rename them North Sydney Sea Eagles.
NSO is a dump right now but it is a waaaay better location than Brookvale and could be upgraded one day.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Maybe relocating the Sea Eagles to NSO is the go. Rename them North Sydney Sea Eagles.
NSO is a dump right now but it is a waaaay better location than Brookvale and could be upgraded one day.
How would bears fans feel about this?

Is there a growing clamour for the bears to try again with the sea Eagles?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I am not sure. But North Sydney Oval is a very good location for a team in my opinion while Brookvale is not.

No, that is a disastrous combo.

Maybe the solution is to bring back the North Sydney Bears and relocate Manly Sea Eagles.
Agree 100% on the location of the NSO and that geographically north Sydney needs to be represented in the NRL but why is the bears&sea eagles a disastrous combo as both teams are pretty much next door to each other aren’t they??

Stallion

First Grade

How about no one as all this is doing is pandering to what the Broncos want: Stalling any 2nd team in Brisbane . Causing as much heartache is what the Broncos want. It's a diversionary tactic. They've been doing it since the Superleague days.

T-Boon

Coach
Agree 100% on the location of the NSO and that geographically north Sydney needs to be represented in the NRL but why is the bears&sea eagles a disastrous combo as both teams are pretty much next door to each other aren’t they??

they hate each other and what would you call them? I think one of the Bears or Sea Eagles should exist in another location.