What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 V Newcastle

Panther_Daz

Staff member
There isn't some set standard. As long as we win games and he delivers points is all that should matter. Also as I said earlier his running game will make his passing game more effective. It happened today. The defence has to stay in tight to cover the run which creates numbers. His running game makes him a better halfback.

We need to be very careful not to get too carried away about what happened today.

It wasn't the norm this season for us to blow teams off the park.

If it becomes the norm in 2020 then yes I would agree.

There isn't some set standard. As long as we win games and he delivers points is all that should matter. Also as I said earlier his running game will make his passing game more effective. It happened today. The defence has to stay in tight to cover the run which creates numbers. His running game makes him a better halfback.

There kinda is.

look around the league, how many running 7’s are there? Good teams have tight defences through the middle, you need to break them down with passing. You need to get the ball out wide.

The yak

Juniors
The season has been disappointing but at least for one afternoon we had something to cheer about.
Well done Nathan on breaking flashes record and well done to the team for thrashing the Knights.
Now can we bottle it and play that way next year.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Nathan Cleary is 21 guys.

Please look at his achievements and then compare them to Andrew Johns at the same age.

Being a dominant play maker in the NRL takes time. He’ll get there.

The age thing is a bit of a myth. Plenty of young halves have dominated.

Brandy was 20 when he won the Dally M.

OldPanther

Coach
We need to be very careful not to get too carried away about what happened today.

It wasn't the norm this season for us to blow teams off the park.

If it becomes the norm in 2020 then yes I would agree.

For sure today was a weak team but I'm talking about human behaviour which is the same for everyone within the game. You cannot compensate for a run and pass simultaneously. The reason our passing doesn't work is because we are too lateral, get a few straight runners like Nathan and the defence suddenly can't slide for a split second. You get Luai/Burton(My preference) outside Nathan to take advantage of that split second hesitation in the defence with their superior ball playing.

As you can see I've thought this out quite a lot.

forby

Juniors
We should've done better this season.

I truly hope fans react at the ballots and vote out O'Neill.

We can't get carried away by just missing the 8.

We went backwards in 2019 and O'Neill signing his mate instead of the calibre of coaches that were on offer were a big part of that.

And who do we replace him with? I’m for change if it takes us forward, but not change as a reaction to one bad season or one bad decision. Is there anybody out there who is capable and ready to step up? It is said that it takes a coach a season to get things right, unless they inherit a good roster. Surely the CEO and retention deserve an off season to do the same.
Who is to say that any other coach could have achieved more? Would we have seen the likes of Kenny, Burns, Martin debut with Bennett or Hasler in charge? Maguire didn’t do much with the Tigers, finished equal with Penrith outside the semis.
Voting out O’Neill without somebody better to take over could be a terrible decision that could cost us greatly.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The age thing is a bit of a myth. Plenty of young halves have dominated.

Brandy was 20 when he won the Dally M.

A myth?!? Please, Brandy was a freak playing in a different era. That nonsense aside.

If the collective football brains of the NSW team all have faith in him, why is it so outrageous that we do too??

What do you know about rugby league that they don’t or can’t see?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
A myth?!? Please, Brandy was a freak playing in a different era. That nonsense aside.

If the collective football brains of the NSW team all have faith in him, why is it so outrageous that we do too??

What do you know about rugby league that they don’t or can’t see?

Cleary made Origin based on his defence. He is one of the best young defensive halves I've ever seen.

He wasn't expected to do much in attack and he didn't.

age.s

First Grade
On the game, Nathan was outstanding today. His running was obviously very good but there were some very good passes close to the line that hasn't been in his game generally. I still have some hope for him.

There were no poor performances but I thought Burns was excellent. Some stunning catches and passes putting his winger into space and great tenacity and support work for his tries.

As an aside anyone who thinks Ponga is worth anything approaching $1m needs to watch that game. Yes there was nothing on the line but his defensive effort for Clearys second and particularly To'os try would have made Darius the try hard proud. Couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Talent is nothing without substance.

unKwn

Juniors
can't believe thats season, went by so quick.
feels really weird, like theres still a next week, but there isn't of course.
hopefully off season isn't as dry as last years with no signings.

anyway im looking forward to next year, got a better feeling about it than i did about this year, but i'm not getting my hopes up too high. it'll most probably be a 7-9 finish

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Cleary made Origin based on his defence. He is one of the best young defensive halves I've ever seen.

He wasn't expected to do much in attack and he didn't.

He was picked because they see him as the future, unlike “us” the NSW selectors set realistic goals for him.

franklin2323

Immortal
I get where you're coming from Daz. But we just put 50 on a team, albeit a poor one. I have my reservations about the Clearys but they're here to stay for the next few years so the only hope we have is that they come good. Today showed us just a glimmer of hope in an ocean of darkness but you can't fault people for grabbing on to it.

Of which he had one try assist though. He won't score 4 tries every week so needs more to his game