What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 V Newcastle

tripster

Juniors
I went to the game yesterday and was glad I did. Despite where we finished on the ladder it is impossible not to enjoy us thrashing an opposition team, and Cleary setting an individual record.

The game blew out in the last 20 but was actually fairly close before then. We can’t get carried away at all with the result (it means nothing - including for next season ). Sione Mata’utia picked up a knee injury very early in the game, went off and didn’t come back on. He was replaced by Kurt Mann who then got his jaw broken. It was no surprises after that that the Knights defensive structures were shot to bits, and we then scored I think 3 of our tries when Watson was in the bin.

Nevertheless it should give the players some confidence heading into next year. To’o continues to amaze and Billy Burns is another youngster with lots of promise.

Flashstep

Juniors
Meaningless game, meaningless discussions. Our biggest problem by far and away is we can't break down defences, so when we play teams with already broken defences we look fine. Same thing under Griffin.

Hopefully Barrett is an attacking genius because we need it, I do think Manly looked pretty good in attack under him at least.

Crashtest

Juniors
Our biggest problem by far and away is we can't break down defences, so when we play teams with already broken defences we look fine. Same thing under Griffin.

To be fair though, look at who the 17 ended up and the fact that 33 were used, compared to who they would of planed and train for during the preseason.

Hopefully this preseason they can train for who the top 21 will likely be for next year, and can build some cohesion and structure in attack. With Api at hooker, and Barrett the attack coach instead of Wallace, I feel a lot more positive for next season.

Crashtest

Juniors
Ponga really shouldn't get any hate for not being able to drag Newcastle to the finals by himself, they finished dead last 2 seasons ago with 4 wins ffs, and he has performed very well individually for QLD. I tend to avoid judging players based off of reputation because if reputation was the be all and end all Nathan Cleary, a 21 year old halfback who has won 2 state of origin series already would be heralded as the best young player in the game, in fact he pretty much was until his reputation began to slide due to his individual performances not matching the hype he has on him.

Well said. Given his age and the fact he has only played 48 first grade games, he shouldn't be coping the flak for Newcastle's season going to shit and not making the finals. Pearce and Klemmer should of been providing far more leadership. Plus Brown made some really bad decisions during the season.

I'd love to have both Ponga and Cleary in our team. He could help take us to another level that we won't get to with Edwards. Although not for the $1.5m a season his manager is chasing.

Crashtest

Juniors
This right here is the thing for me. I think Cleary will be better without the dominant personality there.

I agree. A classic example of Maloney's personality was after the second Origin game when Fittler was asked what he said to the team at half time, and he said he didn't say anything because Maloney talked the whole time. The fact he wasn't wanted for game 1, nor the fact he wasn't even captain, could stop him from taking over and dominating team discussions of a strong state based squad.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Cleary, but i can see why it would of been hard for him to see this as his team with Maloney around.

OldPanther

Coach
I agree. A classic example of Maloney's personality was after the second Origin game when Fittler was asked what he said to the team at half time, and he said he didn't say anything because Maloney talked the whole time. The fact he wasn't wanted for game 1, nor the fact he wasn't even captain, could stop him from taking over and dominating team discussions of a strong state based squad.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Cleary, but i can see why it would of been hard for him to see this as his team with Maloney around.

It doesn't even have to be anything negative on either player. Dominant people just naturally control the group. Sometimes without even trying. Nathan hopefully learnt some good lessons from Jimmy.

martielang

Bench
Some of us have been telling you boys for a while, but Leota is a much better footballer then the 'plodder' he's been labelled on here as being. Strong, quick, decent late footwork & solid defence. He's starting to get everything together & looking an outstanding prospect.

With RCG gone, he will have a massive year next year. Load up on Dally M at $1,501.

Crashtest

Juniors
Winners
Nathan Cleary has done it again. Two years after hitting the all-time top score in Fantasy of 126 with a hat-trick against the Warriors, the young Panther smashed out 120 with a four-try, nine-goal effort against Newcastle – the second-best Fantasy score in history. He's now the only player ever to have breached 120 and he's done it twice.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/nrl-fantasy-winners--losers-round-25/

Kilkenny

Coach
Some of us have been telling you boys for a while, but Leota is a much better footballer then the 'plodder' he's been labelled on here as being. Strong, quick, decent late footwork & solid defence. He's starting to get everything together & looking an outstanding prospect.

With RCG gone, he will have a massive year next year. Load up on Dally M at $1,501.
You forgot to mention his offload.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yet the stat that matters most (wins) Cleary is destroying Ponga in. Both in Origin and the NRL. Although neither have an acceptable NRL win rate for elite players.

Edit
I think the player with Origin series wins and finals series wins/appearances gets the edge.

Ponga is an unreal talent. But hasnt won shit

neither have we though. Not bagging either player but we struggle in big games generally and the halfback has to take some blame for that as does the coaching staff too

chrisD

Coach
Winners
Nathan Cleary has done it again. Two years after hitting the all-time top score in Fantasy of 126 with a hat-trick against the Warriors, the young Panther smashed out 120 with a four-try, nine-goal effort against Newcastle – the second-best Fantasy score in history. He's now the only player ever to have breached 120 and he's done it twice.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/nrl-fantasy-winners--losers-round-25/
So this fantasy stuff is to blame for the overrating of Nathan.

mxlegend99

Referee
neither have we though. Not bagging either player but we struggle in big games generally and the halfback has to take some blame for that as does the coaching staff too
As elite players I agree they need to be more crucial to their teams and be able to carry them to wins almost single handedly.

On goal kicking Nathan has probably a better claim to that. But Ponga as talented as he is IMO comes across as very Moylan like.

Moylan is bagged for attitude, being lazy, poor defender etc. and Ponga seems to share some of that. Fans are turning on him though. He has really copped a hammering on facebook for yesterdays effort. Not a good lasting memory to take into the off-season.

age.s

First Grade
How do we struggle in big games? We've won half of our finals games since 2016 including very good performances vs the Bulldogs and Warriors. Have had poor patches in finals matches but weren't blown away in any of the games we lost. I maintain that we were a couple of minutes away from beating the Sharks last year. We've won big games in the regular season too, smashing the Dragons (a 1v2 match at the time) last year comes to mind.

We're about as good in big matches as you'd expect for the 5th-6th best team in the comp.

betcats

Referee
How do we struggle in big games? We've won half of our finals games since 2016 including very good performances vs the Bulldogs and Warriors. Have had poor patches in finals matches but weren't blown away in any of the games we lost. I maintain that we were a couple of minutes away from beating the Sharks last year. We've won big games in the regular season too, smashing the Dragons (a 1v2 match at the time) last year comes to mind.

We're about as good in big matches as you'd expect for the 5th-6th best team in the comp.

We have a very good golden point record in recent times from memory also.

Nath in his short career has shown the ability to step up and own the big pressure moments.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee

Im holding off to see if Katoa gets an NRL gig. If he does the smart money is on him for sure.

franklin2323

Immortal

What has our record been against top teams? Even ignoring that I remember Cleary not doing much in a finals game. As a team we have plenty of work to be a top team that includes the half

OldPanther

Coach
What has our record been against top teams? Even ignoring that I remember Cleary not doing much in a finals game. As a team we have plenty of work to be a top team that includes the half

I remember 2014 being good and 2015 starting the same until injury hit. I'm not sure how Ivan will go but there is some evidence we can go close.

Latest posts