What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

taipan

Referee
4/5 of the Sydney suburban based clubs sat in the bottom half of the crowd avg table and all of them be,ow the nrl crowd avg. Facts don’t lie. But yeh the new chair likes suburban grounds, that’s going to be great for the game.

Shark park needs a massive new main stand and a major end stand to get to 25k with 15-17k undercover seating and modern fan facilities, apartments around the ground and a refurbed LC isn’t going to help your crowd avg!

Like I said Sydney should be the strength the game is built on but it simply isn’t and is showing no signs it will be in the current set up of the game there anytime soon.

Mate get it through your thick skull.It is almost certain no Sydney clubs will be tossed out ,relocated ,unless they hit financial troubles.You have zero idea about what suburban clubs are doing to improve their financials and in many cases neither do I.Clubs know they have to get their sh*t together.
You have absolutely zero idea about the continual transport bottlenecks and delays with transport.
Sydney is growing, they estimate another 1.3m in the not too distant future.Transport infrastructure is being improved to get people from point A to point B.

I know what Sharks Park needs ,so you're telling me to suck eggs. it is a gradual process, and nothing can be started til the retail/leagues club is completed.
Whether you like it or not Sydney is where rugby league started in this country .It is where there are 8.5 NRL clubs, and lower division clubs and juniors through Sydney.It is the commercial heart of the nation.It is where the majority of Tv ratings are achieved on FTA and subscription TV.It is where the money is like Melbourne.

I watched NRL 360,Controversy Corner and 100% Footy last night and the panelists( some of whom are hardly Commission or Greenburger fans ),were unanimous in saying the appointment of V'Landy will do more for the game than any of the guys before hand.
In addition they also stated ,(and Gould works for ch9 )that Sydney clubs are the foundation of the game, and crowds like those at Leichhardt are indicative of the underground support for Sydney clubs.

V'landis played junior rl in the Illawarra,came to this country from Greece as a 3 year old.Has stated rl gave him the start and confidence in life here, and he owes it big time.He is a huge fan of the women's game, wants to help bush football and knows the tribalism of Sydney clubs and wants that to stay.
He is fully aware of other codes and their ambitions in this city, you still don't get it.

Now as far as your team is concerned when you get in and you have a few very bad years, can you assure us with all your you beaut stadium, and the great transport infrastructure Perth has, that crowds will not drop markedly and owners will not get itchy feet? And when you get a 6pm game and it's p*ssing down ,the stands will be packed?

taipan

Referee
So you want to penalise the only financially successful club we have? Makes sense lol.

As opposed to the extra benefits no other NRL club gets ,and that includes Melbourne,Auckland,Canberra etc. Such as massive number of corporates that are interested ,a rl city of 2m to itself and large number off juniors ,and prime time FTA .

Ironic you bagging the idea, not mine originally BTW, when your code AFL has no qualms in providing to the have-nots.
I'm sure if the NRL said OK Perth we'll assist you with $10m start up, you'd say Oh no we can't take this money, at teh expense of the others.You'd garb it with your greedy hand splice any club would.

DC_fan

Coach
Peter V’landys has three goals: Sydney’s struggling NRL clubs, suburban grounds and bush footy
Rugby league’s new independent commission chairman Peter V’landys has three major goals — to save Sydney’s struggling NRL clubs, improve suburban grounds and revitalise bush footy, writes Buzz Rothfield.

Rugby league’s new independent commission chairman Peter V’landys has three major goals — to save Sydney’s struggling NRL clubs, improve suburban grounds and revitalise bush footy.

While the Racing NSW supremo can appreciate the need to play grand finals, Origin and Anzac Day blockbusters at Bankwest, ANZ and Allianz-style stadiums, he is determined to promote the weekend family experience at Sydney’s traditional venues.

He will lobby the government to support funding for upgrades to Leichhardt Oval, Brookvale, Shark Park, Campbelltown and Belmore.
andys told me recently: “Having families in Sydney attend suburban grounds is imperative to the future popularity of the game. That’s what tribalism is about. Suburban grounds have an important role to play and should be upgraded for today’s entertainment venue standards.”

His other passion is country NSW. Under V’landys’ leadership there has been a huge focus on bush racing, in which he has invested tens of millions of dollars.

Country races that were worth $5000 when he started now carry $22,000 in prizemoney.

There is a $70,000 race in Sydney every Saturday just for bush participants.

V’landys might be from racing but he has long been involved in rugby league.

He played as a junior in Wollongong and made it to first grade alongside the great Steve “Blocker” Roach.

He will be different in many ways to his predecessors, Queenslanders Peter Beattie and John Grant.

Beattie is addicted to social media and loves being on TV and in the newspapers.

Grant loved the limelight, too. No trophy in rugby league was ever handed out without him. He famously photo-bombed Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston after an Origin presentation in Brisbane to get his melon on the front page of every major newspaper.

While V’landys is a strong advocate and never shirks the hard issues, he is likely to play a more discreet, behind-the-scenes role. You never see him handing out trophies at Royal Randwick, even when Winx was around.

Instead, he wheels and deals with politicians and corporates from the big end of town in the director’s suite.

It will be no different in rugby league.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/05da5d292b6c46e0c511d5924f59c645

The man lives in the past. With this type of agenda the NRL as a major competition will be dead within 30-40 years guaranteed. Why can't we find someone with a vision that is going to take the game into the future, not keep it in its past, to run the game.

taipan

Referee
The man lives in the past. With this type of agenda the NRL as a major competition will be dead within 30-40 years guaranteed. Why can't we find someone with a vision that is going to take the game into the future, not keep it in its past, to run the game.

A guy who has brought up horse racing to where it is today ,including the Everest is hardly living in the past, and that is vision.He screwed the bookkeeping firms for extra money and got it.Country racing prize money has nearly quadrupled.
I heard about all the previous CEOs with supposed vision, and we got dis.
The three goals listed should not be ignored.Prior CEOs and Chairmen paid lip service to them.

adamkungl

Immortal
The media being so very on board with V'landys tells me that we shouldn't expect much.

I'm expect kickbacks to his mates in media and gambling organisations in return for some nice puff pieces, but very little hope of an ambitious growth platform.

Stallion

First Grade

Respecting established strengths and advantages is not living in the past.. It's understanding that these clubs are vital for the popularity of this envied competition going forward. I'm sure Vlandy's will proactively work on much needed additional expansion clubs as well!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Looks like we are back to NSWRL running the game. This will end well. SL2 anyone?
The fact that everyone in the media that enjoys shtting on the game so much likes the man is a worry!

Peter Beattie's opening statement of his chair "The game must expand or die".
V'landys, “Having families in Sydney attend suburban grounds is imperative to the future popularity of the game" Sigh.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that within this century RL in Australia will degrade into a minor sport that is a shadow of what it once was.

With the extreme homogenisation of western culture (i.e. American cultural imperialism and Anglophilia) seemingly unending, and the NRL seemingly incapable of preparing for the future, most of this generations kids and all their grand kids will be playing basketball and soccer and watching the Premier League, NBA, NFL, UFC, etc.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Looks like we are back to NSWRL running the game. This will end well. SL2 anyone?
The fact that everyone in the media that enjoys shtting on the game so much likes the man is a worry!

Last time I was opposed to SL, this time I'd almost certainly be fully behind the idea.

Anything that gets the control of the game away from the old boys club in Sydney would be a good thing.

adamkungl

Immortal
The thing is
I don't think anyone, not even Perth Red, specifically *wants* Cronulla/Anyone to be punted or relocated.

We want the sport to grow, in this country and internationally.

While the Sydney middle 'm4 corridor' gets government money thrown at it due to stadiums being centrally located, used by multiple clubs, sports and events, it seems likely that the suburban grounds will fall further behind and create a significant divide between the haves and have nots, eventually effecting the competition quality. A new Centre of Excellence or Leagues Club renovation isn't going to change the fact that the centrally located clubs have 20,000-30,000 seats undercover, improved transport links, and functional toilets and bars. This will change the playing field to an extent where Roosters/Broncos/Storm level operations become the norm rather than the exception.

This creates a dilemma.
When push comes to shove, will the game look outwards and invest in new capital cities and international development to drive growth?
Or will it look inwards, and sink cash into saving smaller clubs to maintain the status quo?

The only way out of the dilemma, I see, is for governments to invest close to $100M each into Brookvale, Shark Park, Leichhardt, Campbeltown, Kogarah, Penrith.
And I just can't see it ever happening.

I would love to see 9 Sydney clubs keep fighting and also have 4 or 5 expansion areas with teams of their own, but the resources aren't there. NRL money, government money, player depth.
Which leads us back to square one. If we have to choose between expansion and modern professionalism, or making sure Brookvale lives to see another decade, I'm picking progress every time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The thing is
I don't think anyone, not even Perth Red, specifically *wants* Cronulla/Anyone to be punted or relocated.

We want the sport to grow, in this country and internationally.

While the Sydney middle 'm4 corridor' gets government money thrown at it due to stadiums being centrally located, used by multiple clubs, sports and events, it seems likely that the suburban grounds will fall further behind and create a significant divide between the haves and have nots, eventually effecting the competition quality. A new Centre of Excellence or Leagues Club renovation isn't going to change the fact that the centrally located clubs have 20,000-30,000 seats undercover, improved transport links, and functional toilets and bars. This will change the playing field to an extent where Roosters/Broncos/Storm level operations become the norm rather than the exception.

This creates a dilemma.
When push comes to shove, will the game look outwards and invest in new capital cities and international development to drive growth?
Or will it look inwards, and sink cash into saving smaller clubs to maintain the status quo?

The only way out of the dilemma, I see, is for governments to invest close to $100M each into Brookvale, Shark Park, Leichhardt, Campbeltown, Kogarah, Penrith.
And I just can't see it ever happening.

I would love to see 9 Sydney clubs keep fighting and also have 4 or 5 expansion areas with teams of their own, but the resources aren't there. NRL money, government money, player depth.
Which leads us back to square one. If we have to choose between expansion and modern professionalism, or making sure Brookvale lives to see another decade, I'm picking progress every time.

I want a strong base for the game to grow from. We dont have that and I see no signs that the perennial problems will be solved by doing the same thing but throwing a $million or two per club at them in the hope this solves the problem. If we had 75% of Sydney clubs playing in modern stadia in front of 20k and making money then awesome, we can expand to 18 then 20 teams on the back of that success. But we arent even close to it and I dont see how we will be by keeping things the same.

mongoose

Coach
V'landy just sounds like another politician going for the sentimental vote rather than showing an understanding of the economic conditions which the sport exists in. Where does he think the money is going to come from the fix up suburban grounds after the NSW just committed 2 billion already to stadium rebuilds?

His comments are even stranger when it seems Greenberg and the NRL are wanting to go in the other direction - centralised stadiums, less sydney clubs, expansion.

T-Boon

Coach
V'landy just sounds like another politician going for the sentimental vote rather than showing an understanding of the economic conditions which the sport exists in. Where does he think the money is going to come from the fix up suburban grounds after the NSW just committed 2 billion already to stadium rebuilds?

His comments are even stranger when it seems Greenberg and the NRL are wanting to go in the other direction - centralised stadiums, less sydney clubs, expansion.

I think he is an AFL patsy.

taipan

Referee

He played the code since a child and has followed it throughout his life.Understanding economic conditions, well he got the Everest up and running ,and reinvigorated country racing ,and secured elytra funding for the NRL from the bookkeeping industry.For someone who hanse;t a clue, he seems to have had some success.

He has already talked about lobbying Govt.The new centralised stadiums are not for the sole use of rugby league.Would the code have got WSS without the Wanderers playing there or the SFS with 3 codes playing there.Years ago the Sharks got $10m from the Feds for the Southern stand

Not what Greenberg stated.He stated Sydney suburban grounds are important and relocation is not on the agenda.He hasn't stated less Sydney clubs ,it was ch9 who stirred the pot.

taipan

Referee
Winner winner

Anyone going on about the wonders of a jam-packed hill is obviously experiencing it from the commentary box on the other side of the field.

It could be worse ,going on about the huge crowds for the Roosters at the SCG.

taipan

Referee
The media being so very on board with V'landys tells me that we shouldn't expect much.

I'm expect kickbacks to his mates in media and gambling organisations in return for some nice puff pieces, but very little hope of an ambitious growth platform.

The media is on board with AFL s MacLachlan.I mean AFL is going really bad.

The NRL don't use Aldi bags mate.

greenBV4

Bench
But they don't; and won;' get relocated.
Fitzroy and South Melbourne did. I don't really know the circumstances behind those but It seems that if the AFL wants to do something it just does it, it doesn't go back and forth over and over again and care as much about public backlash, they just do it, through money at it, cop the backlash, and then wait for it to all work out. It wouldn't overly surprise me if North Melbourne were sent packing to Tasmania any time soon.

Unfortunately the NRL for whatever reason doesn't have the money to throw at things to get what they want. Actually I don't think the NRL even knows what it wants anyway.

Latest posts