What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 month countdown.........

flippikat

Bench
It won't be Adelaide, Brisbane 2 is too valuable for Tv ratings ,compared to what Adelaide would offer.

Spot on.

I have a feeling that the next couple of expansions (if there's going to be 4 more clubs in the long run) will be one 'heartland' team, and one in AFL-land.

As far as "non-heartland" expansion candidates go, there's far more groundwork in place for Perth than Adelaide (not to mention the extra timezone).. and Brisbane2 is a slam-dunk for TV money & a game every weekend at Suncorp.

However if the prep work is started now, Adelaide can be in the box-seat to be the *non-heartland* club for the following expansion... Which IMO would be Adelaide plus either NZ2 (an early timeslot every week), Brisbane 3 (more crosstown rivalry!), or some other Queensland bid (Central Qld? Sunshine Coast? Cairns???).

ReddFelon

Juniors
It won't be Adelaide, Brisbane 2 is too valuable for Tv ratings ,compared to what Adelaide would offer.

I don't know, I still have a hard time believing there's all these fans in Brisbane who either don't already follow a team and will watch the new team/the existing fans will also watch the new team even if they already follow someone else.

MugaB

Coach
I don't know, I still have a hard time believing there's all these fans in Brisbane who either don't already follow a team and will watch the new team/the existing fans will also watch the new team even if they already follow someone else.
I would love to see more brisbane/qld clubs get promoted over another souless Titan-esk franchise, but im pretty sure only one more team is on the agenda, otherwise it will be another diltuted sydney issue in brisbane.
We need to get to wa/sa and spread west moreso than add more teams in heartlands, even the NZ south Is, but it has to be properly run, either relocate or get guys who know how to run a club in those areas now, so that 5 years later we have more Melbourne storm type teams, not another filler

The Great Dane

First Grade

You are literally describing the initial core fan-base of every expansion club since the 60's. . .

There is a huge group of people in Brisbane who support teams from outside of Brisbane simply because they hate the Broncos but there's no other alternative, and if you care to ask, they'll tell you that they'd buy a membership to a second Brisbane club just so they have footy that they can go to regularly without having to support the Broncos.

taipan

Referee

I'm only basing my view on the fact, the Crushers when they came into existence had a decent core base of Brisbaneites who cared little for the Broncos .Also the Crushers recruited at the last minute and had some very ordinary players to begin with, some hack union players like Garrick Morgan and a very tired out Mario Fenech, yet still they got a following before being flicked.

Pippen94

First Grade
You are literally describing the initial core fan-base of every expansion club since the 60's. . .

There is a huge group of people in Brisbane who support teams from outside of Brisbane simply because they hate the Broncos but there's no other alternative, and if you care to ask, they'll tell you that they'd buy a membership to a second Brisbane club just so they have footy that they can go to regularly without having to support the Broncos.
Enough to fill Suncorp & develop a following?

Pippen94

First Grade
I'm only basing my view on the fact, the Crushers when they came into existence had a decent core base of Brisbaneites who cared little for the Broncos .Also the Crushers recruited at the last minute and had some very ordinary players to begin with, some hack union players like Garrick Morgan and a very tired out Mario Fenech, yet still they got a following before being flicked.
When they disappeared there was little fanfare. Have to represent something more than just not being broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Realistically they are highly unlikely to better Broncos. A solid attendance fanbase of around 20-25k over first 5 years should be the bar of success we are looking from for a second Brisbane club. GIven what I saw here with the Dockers coming in, I dont see any reason why that wouldn't be possible with a well designed and run new club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When they disappeared there was little fanfare. Have to represent something more than just not being broncos.

Your not going to get much when fans have only been fans for a couple of years! You could say the same for Reds but I know there where a lot of very pssed off people in Perth when they were cut and it took 11 years for wounds to heal and the game to reemerge.

j5o6hn

Juniors
You want a team in Adelaide Hello Roosters hand them South Australia lets see how they go having to get their own juniors not thieve everyone else's
Then we will see how there crack coach goes starting from scratch, rebuilding a team

The Great Dane

First Grade
No there aren't enough to fill Suncorp, but no club has an active fan-base big enough to regularly fill Suncorp!

However there're more than enough of them that if the NRL and club played their cards right they could get a following of 25ish thousand overnight, and build from there.

Firstly, that's not really true, there were more than a few people that were upset by the Crushers going tits up. In fact, for all the talk of plastic clubs and the such, the only club I can think of that wasn't mourned, and indeed their demise was widely celebrated, is the Hunter Mariners.

Secondly, Of course there was little organised public backlash, they were around for three years during the Super League war in Brisbane. That is probably the worst possible start that any club could hope to have, and it's a minor miracle that any of the expansion clubs from the 90s survived it.

taipan

Referee

Had very little time to establish a local tribal presence,thus their loss was not overly concerning ATT.

ReddFelon

Juniors

Obviously a key difference there is that in the 60's it would've been a lot easier to get people to support a new team in their area than now when we've got an established competition that is all through Australian media.

Outside of that though, my point was more to do with the TV ratings aspect. Will it actually impact ratings at all given the same people who already make up the Brisbane NRL audience are the one's who will be watching? Adelaide has grown to about 80,000 households watching Origin and the Grand Final while Perth is onboard for close to 100,000, those are areas that would see a much large uptake in terms of weekly viewership with a team. Alas, I think that Adelaide will need to wait a long time which is a shame as they punch well above their weight in terms of sports attendance and viewership per capita.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Obviously a key difference there is that in the 60's it would've been a lot easier to get people to support a new team in their area than now when we've got an established competition that is all through Australian media.

Back in the 60's the competition already got reasonable media coverage and was established throughout NSW, and considering that the expansion was in Sydney I'd say that in real terms there's really no difference.

Outside of that though, my point was more to do with the TV ratings aspect. Will it actually impact ratings at all given the same people who already make up the Brisbane NRL audience are the one's who will be watching? Adelaide has grown to about 80,000 households watching Origin and the Grand Final while Perth is onboard for close to 100,000, those are areas that would see a much large uptake in terms of weekly viewership with a team. Alas, I think that Adelaide will need to wait a long time which is a shame as they punch well above their weight in terms of sports attendance and viewership per capita.
Of course it would, it'd give the Brisbane audience another game that directly appeals to their market, which will give the broadcasters another game that rates well (probably in numbers similar, but slightly lower than, the Broncos) which they can sell advertising on.

In other words, instead of having one match that rates well in Brisbane, the NRL and broadcasters would have two, and they'd be engaging a larger portion of the Brisbane market, which is incredibly valuable to both the NRL and the broadcasters.

That is more or less the whole point of a second club in Brisbane, not to create new fans per se, but to get more RL fans in Brisbane to actively engage in the product, and to make a shedload of money in the process.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tv results for 2019 are in. Brisbane most watched club in NRL, Melbourne second. If that isnt a good reason for another Brisbane club and another expansion club to be admitted I dont know what is.

taipan

Referee
Tv results for 2019 are in. Brisbane most watched club in NRL, Melbourne second. If that isnt a good reason for another Brisbane club and another expansion club to be admitted I dont know what is.

What were the Tv viewing figures for the expansion club on the GC? As a matter of interest.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
You want a team in Adelaide Hello Roosters hand them South Australia lets see how they go having to get their own juniors not thieve everyone else's
Then we will see how there crack coach goes starting from scratch, rebuilding a team

No club in the NRL is wholely made up of juniors from the local area. Every club strives to get the best talent across the nation/internationally, not just in their backyard. So to say you should relocate 1 team or another to an area so they can have a juniors to pick from is a silly statement.

Keary debuted for the Rabbitohs but is a Parramatta Junior... He played for Kellyville Bushrangers & Hills District. He also played in QLD. The Wolfman was a Parra jnr (Hills District) but was recruited by Manly. Paul Gallen developed his footy skills at Wentworthville (Parra Jnr) but played his entire career for the Sharks. Boyd Cordner (Old Bar Pirates) was scouted by the Roosters from the Central Coast/CRL because there is no feed to the NRL there. CNK was playing in the NRL Vic (Altona Roosters) and was in the Storm U/20s before being picked up by the Warriors and then Canberra.

If Canberra have a solid juniors system then why would they need to recruit 5 Englishmen to fill their team? Which South Sydney Juniors clubs did the Burgess brothers play for?

I think people need to get over the fact that Juniors are always going to be plucked from all over the place. As long as all of the NRL teams are contributing to grassroots football in some way then the 'No juniors' debate is a non-arguement.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What were the Tv viewing figures for the expansion club on the GC? As a matter of interest.

I think what the likely answer to that question highlights is that if you just leave an expansion club to sink or swim you end up with a poor outcome. If you invest in the expansion club and region then the outcomes are much stronger. There wasnt a full list of clubs so cant say where Titans came but its likely in the bottom half given how hey have failed to excite the fans or build a winning team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No club in the NRL is wholely made up of juniors from the local area. Every club strives to get the best talent across the nation/internationally, not just in their backyard. So to say you should relocate 1 team or another to an area so they can have a juniors to pick from is a silly statement.

Keary debuted for the Rabbitohs but is a Parramatta Junior... He played for Kellyville Bushrangers & Hills District. He also played in QLD. The Wolfman was a Parra jnr (Hills District) but was recruited by Manly. Paul Gallen developed his footy skills at Wentworthville (Parra Jnr) but played his entire career for the Sharks. Boyd Cordner (Old Bar Pirates) was scouted by the Roosters from the Central Coast/CRL because there is no feed to the NRL there. CNK was playing in the NRL Vic (Altona Roosters) and was in the Storm U/20s before being picked up by the Warriors and then Canberra.

If Canberra have a solid juniors system then why would they need to recruit 5 Englishmen to fill their team? Which South Sydney Juniors clubs did the Burgess brothers play for?

I think people need to get over the fact that Juniors are always going to be plucked from all over the place. As long as all of the NRL teams are contributing to grassroots football in some way then the 'No juniors' debate is a non-arguement.

Its the NRL clubs responsibility to take the best 16-18 year olds and turn them into quality first graders. Under that it is not their role, its the role of the State bodies and grassroots clubs.

taipan

Referee
I think what the likely answer to that question highlights is that if you just leave an expansion club to sink or swim you end up with a poor outcome. If you invest in the expansion club and region then the outcomes are much stronger. There wasnt a full list of clubs so cant say where Titans came but its likely in the bottom half given how hey have failed to excite the fans or build a winning team.

My point is and always has been.When you expand you have to have all Ts crossed and Is dotted.GC was going great guns until they got screwed by overcommitting on their new C of E.

Latest posts