What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not that it really matters, but that long, long, long digression about how Nathan Cleary will go in 2020 would have been better suited for, I don’t know, the 2020 Discussion thread?
Complaining about what's being discussed in the thread isn't on topic either... and adds a hell of alot less to the thread than natural discussion.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Complaining about what's being discussed in the thread isn't on topic either... and adds a hell of alot less to the thread than natural discussion.

No shit, but where else am I going to do it? I would prefer a board where discussions generally follow the thread topic so that it is easier to read. So I voice my complaints here hoping that a moderator will pay attention. Pretty straightforward, no?

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Anybody credibly rumoured?

Only this guy. He is faster than Whare and Mansour.
giphy.gif

Alintheeast

Juniors
No shit, but where else am I going to do it? I would prefer a board where discussions generally follow the thread topic so that it is easier to read. So I voice my complaints here hoping that a moderator will pay attention. Pretty straightforward, no?
I keep hoping we can start a blatant lies and you know it is bulls..t thread. For instance; I was at Easts last Monday when one of old blokes who have frequented the club since 1960 noticed my Penrith tee shirt. He congratulated me on our relatively successful season, every club but the Roosters were losers just some were bigger losers than others. He said he had been speaking to Robbo and that a couple of high profile Penrith colts will be joining Easts next year. He wouldn’t say who they were.

Coastal

Juniors
Craig Gower didnt play a full season at halfback until his 7th season of first grade. Starting out as a benchie. Playing a lot of hooker in between games in the halves. He did what the coach wanted as any young player should.

Likewise Brad Fittler jumped between positions the first few years of his career. Playing wherever the coached deemed best for the team.

Both incredible players. But neither came in as the main playmakers. Their careers ended up going that way. But not from day 1 as you seem to be trying to imply.

Brandy was a different story. Flat out superstar half from the start basically.

You're mistaking Cleary following the coaches instructions for shirking responsibility. He would not have been very popular at all if the coach and players were looking to Moylan and Maloney as the leaders and Nathan decided he wanted to make it his team. That's the sort of shit that set Mitchell Moses back for years in his career. Look how long it has taken him to deliver on his potential... being an impatient glory hog held back his career and his teams for years.

You compare Nathan to 90% of halves at the same points in their careers and he is well and truly ahead of many players who went on to be greats. Guys who were only benchies, utilities etc. And slowly got handed the team.

2020 is going to be make or break for him. Not sure why people want to write him off now. By about round 5 or 6 we should have a rough idea how his season will go. 12 month from now we should know for certain what he is or isn't capable of. If he fails then we know weve wasted $10m on the Clearys. If he succeeds its only $5m wasted on the one Cleary
I understand what you are saying in a way, but my comparison was to point out that he is in nowhere near the same league as some great players that have played for the club, but some seem to think he is the messiah that the club has been searching for. He was an exceptional lower grade player and everyone I'm sure, including me, thought that he was going to be the half that has been missing since 2003. He has had 3 years in 1st grade, and I'm sorry to say but his contribution to the team hasn't got any better, its gotten worse. Anyone who believes the Cleary's haven't set this all up to benefit themselves are doing nothing but living in hope. I'm a Panthers supporter and even I'm disappointed in how all this came about. Ivan and Nathan didn't talk at all about the circumstances and how they can get their family dream of father coach and son player, that they didn't both discuss it continuously during 2019? Penrith paid overs for Nathan and had to pay Ivan, Bellamy money to get him to break a contract. Hopefully 2020 doesn't produce any " I don't know" answers in press conferences, because there is no hope in hell that any blame will be placed on Nathan's shoulders. Worst case of nepotism that I can imagine.

Coastal

Juniors
But how do you define value though for his deal? There are a number of NRL halves on large contracts that to aren't up to the value of their contracts.

For example Hunt on 1.2m, Foran on 1m this year that rises to 1.2 next season, Milford 1m, Johnson 1m, Morgan 1m, Taylor 1m, Norman 900, Bird 900K. With the exception of Morgan, I don't think any of these players are worth those salaries, and Morgan only is if he can recapture his 2017 form that his upgrade was based on. Taylor looks like he has folded under the pressure of expectations.

I prefer Nathan to any of those mentioned above, even on his upgraded contract value. And his best is still ahead of him, unlike some of those above.
And I'd take any of those you mentioned above Morgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts