What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breakout year?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I believe Norman and Hunt's combination will flourish in 2020. Hunt has shown when given stability he can be among our best, we must remember 2018 was only last year during that first half of the season when he was the form half of the NRL until his family tragically suffered a miscarriage.

I'm not mentioning Mary here for the sake of negativity, but his spine strategy in 2019 was horrible and was a large part of our complete lack of flow this year. Now that our 6 and 7 is set with no doubts, they have a whole off season to pair up

Expecting good things from Sailor as well

The Hunt/Norman combo didn’t work under Bennett with Brisbane, so there’s no hope under McIdiot.

I had NFI about Ben’s personal family tragedy...the poor bloke. He cops so much shit, and it’s undeserved. Put away opinion surrounding his stipend, the club is much better for having him in it,

We all (should) know what he can do with a consistent five-eighth.

(Norman isn’t one).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The Hunt/Norman combo didn’t work under Bennett with Brisbane, so there’s no hope under McIdiot.
There’s a very good reason it didn’t work in Brisbane under Bennett.

The key reason being he never even coached the two of them together.

They made first grade after Bennett had left the club for us.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
There’s a very good reason it didn’t work in Brisbane under Bennett.

The key reason being he never even coached the two of them together.

They made first grade after Bennett had left the club for us.

Oh well, one from two isn’t bad for me.

Have you worked out how question marks work yet?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Oh well, one from two isn’t bad for me.

Have you worked out how question marks work yet?
Why do you always get snide when you make a mistake?

Here I was thinking we could have a chat about football..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I had NFI about Ben’s personal family tragedy...the poor bloke. He cops so much shit, and it’s undeserved. Put away opinion surrounding his stipend, the club is much better for having him in it,

(Norman isn’t one).
One thing I will say is that Hunt’s first season pretty much from game one had a very good combo with Widdop. Unfortunately Widdop spent large chunks of both Hunt’s years injured. I actually think Hunt and Normy will combine well.

Brutalitops

Juniors

(Norman isn’t one).
Yeah look I am not sold on Norman yet either, I think under certain circumstances he can be very good, but in his year here he certainly didn't have the stability to create those circumstances very often.

Also strongly agree regarding Hunt. He and Widdop were dare I say it, a top 2 or 3 halves pairing in the NRL in the short time they were actually together without hindrance.

Also agree he cops too much. The first 10 weeks of last season, he (and Widdop) ran absolute circles around Storm halves as well as Keary/Cronk. It's actually shocking how precisely his family tragedy can be penciled in as the exact period his perceived "drop off" in form happened last season. About a week or two before his Origin 1 performance where he was torn apart by social media and commentary in fact. Along with keeping it secret until the end of the season, couldn't have been easy for the poor bloke

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Would you like to add any value to the football discussion samy or are you going to run around being abusive again?

Don’t ruin another thread with your petty crap. Everyone’s sick of it.

BLM01

First Grade
Sorry but I'd say you have it all wrong. Mary is one to not recognise the strength and weakness of his players but instead with head in the sand continue to select players like Aitken and Lafai hoping for that one good game out of 10.

Lomax is a better fullback than both Dufty and Sailor. He has a larger frame, is solid in defence, can take a high ball, not easily rag dolled, has a deceptive step off both feet, a good passing game and is quicker than some on here think.

We have a vacancy at fullback and Lomax has put his hand up for selection.
If I have it all wrong then why?. Would evidence do you have of Lomax is a better fullback at NRL level despite on describing his body and football skills to me which I already can see for myself
Those attributes in the modern game of today make him a perfect centre and remind me of a young Mark Gasnier who was quicker....and I know Zac is not slow but does not have explosive speed to cover at fullback which is key when comparing as others on here have to the likes of Teddy
And what I have seen of Dufty despite his deficiencies in defence so far he has proven to me he and in fact Sailor would be better natural fullbacks than Zac.
We will see I suppose who is right. Happy for him to have a go and prove me wrong at fullback buit just cant see it..nor can those close to him.
Lets have a look at some of the others in the NRL...Teddy, Johnstone, RTS, Papenh, Gutherson, DWZ, Val Holmes? or Drinkwater, CCK, Milford, AJ Brimson, Corey Thompson or Momirovski, Turbo, Ponga, Moylan, Edwards.
Just cant see Zac matching those for pace except Gutho but he is pretty experienced and can play most backline possies.

Como Connection

First Grade

(Norman isn’t one).
Well he should play 6 and Normy 7.
Problem solved.
CC

getsmarty

Immortal
Yeah look I am not sold on Norman yet either, I think under certain circumstances he can be very good, but in his year here he certainly didn't have the stability to create those circumstances very often.

Also strongly agree regarding Hunt. He and Widdop were dare I say it, a top 2 or 3 halves pairing in the NRL in the short time they were actually together without hindrance.

Also agree he cops too much. The first 10 weeks of last season, he (and Widdop) ran absolute circles around Storm halves as well as Keary/Cronk. It's actually shocking how precisely his family tragedy can be penciled in as the exact period his perceived "drop off" in form happened last season. About a week or two before his Origin 1 performance where he was torn apart by social media and commentary in fact. Along with keeping it secret until the end of the season, couldn't have been easy for the poor bloke

Well Said.

If I have it all wrong then why?. Would evidence do you have of Lomax is a better fullback at NRL level despite on describing his body and football skills to me which I already can see for myself
Those attributes in the modern game of today make him a perfect centre and remind me of a young Mark Gasnier who was quicker....and I know Zac is not slow but does not have explosive speed to cover at fullback which is key when comparing as others on here have to the likes of Teddy
And what I have seen of Dufty despite his deficiencies in defence so far he has proven to me he and in fact Sailor would be better natural fullbacks than Zac.
We will see I suppose who is right. Happy for him to have a go and prove me wrong at fullback buit just cant see it..nor can those close to him.
Lets have a look at some of the others in the NRL...Teddy, Johnstone, RTS, Papenh, Gutherson, DWZ, Val Holmes? or Drinkwater, CCK, Milford, AJ Brimson, Corey Thompson or Momirovski, Turbo, Ponga, Moylan, Edwards.
Just cant see Zac matching those for pace except Gutho but he is pretty experienced and can play most backline possies.
No matter how it is looked at, there are weaknesses in the centers, wings and probably fullback, with what is available now i cannot see them comparing to the top teams. There is quite a gulf in ability as it stands and the best that could be hoped for is a mid table finish, which will further distance the fan base.