What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Now you're putting words in my mouth.

I never said it would make life unfair for "us" non religious types. I said I hate the idea of a right to discriminate being enshrined in law...
Dude, I didn't say you said that. I was referring to all the mincer tweets and mincer examples that Gronk provided that were essentially alluding to how difficult it would be as a non religious person.

If I ever refer to you as saying something it will be very clear that I am referring to you.

As per section .340 of the Fair Work act you cannot. There are no exceptions. It's covered under the General Protections.

But the exception is if you are not entitled to maternity leave (for eg you haven't worked long enough to be entitled to it). Then, your employer can terminate you after three months of unpaid leave. Therefore, you can be terminated because of your pregnancy.

Funny how the act explicitly states there are no exceptions, but then has a gaping loop hole that provides an exception.

That Act is ten years old and the Act it came from is from 1984, and that quite massive loophole still exists and is widely acknowledged....imagine the field day a lawyer might have defending (and creating a precedent) a scumbag under the Discrimination bill?
You'd hope that 2020 legislation is a bit more robust than something from 1984 but I don't disagree that this is a risk. Mind you, I imagine it is a risk with most legislation.

hindy111

Post Whore
I actually don't give a f**k about the bill. It won't remotely change my life.

I just find it funny that whiny bitches complain and exaggerate and call it a gay hate bill whilst at the same time arguing for something that discrimates against people with religious beliefs (also known as a religion hate bill).

There is no compassion or empathy on either side of the debate at the moment.

What about religous gay people?

hindy111

Post Whore
Folau would still fail based on the following caveats "statements must be made in good faith; not be malicious or harass, vilify or incite hatred against a person or group; not advocate for the commission of a serious criminal offence."

Gender is f**king binary. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with science. Why should people be forced to pretend otherwise? I'll be respectful to someone that identifies as Ze, but sharing my view that gender is binary in a respectful manner is not discrimination. Just as them sharing their views in a respectful manner isn't discrimination against me.

This example is f**king stupid. Assuming an employee was stupid enough to say this and ruin their employers business, the single mother would not be discriminating against them if they said "get f**ked, I am taking my kid elsewhere"

I doubt it. Sounds like a pretty malicious thing to say.

At non-religious school? Unlikely.

I have never in 40 years of my existence ever discussed religion with a f**king retail assistant. This seems like a bullshit example. If it did happen, I would argue that it is malicious and designed to incite hatred.

Pretty easy to ask for one that will.

Shit example. That would be sorted out amongst the hospital. A patient would turn up and be treated by someone just as they are now.

Doctor: "I wont prescribe you a pill but I will get another doctor that will."

Patient: "That's discrimination!".

I don't imagine too many pharmacists would risk jeopardising their business in such a way but if they are stupid enough to do so then it is pretty f**ken easy to go to another pharmacy.

What a crock of shit. We are all going to become pregnant now? Please. Consider this rationally. A hospital would work out which Drs they have on board and ensure that they have coverage should someone need a super critical, super emergency PEP (within 3 f**king days).

I'm struggling to see the problem here. Is the suggestion that by saying such a thing, she is encouraging her to commit suicide? Weird. If that is the inference then there are already protections against psychiatrists encouraging suicide.

Could be, but would it be? I don't think so.

I'm not convinced that many employers will push this too far for fear of being arse f**ked by a large portion of the population

But in practical terms, in the unlikely event that it does happen, how does that impact a potential employee?

Either they miss out on a job because they aren't religious enough, they have to act more religious while at work or they can choose to apply for a completely different job.

I don't see that as discrimination, I see that as someone potentially being a poor fit for an organisation and an employer.

There are many jobs that I will never get because of who I am.

They don't want a satan worshipper on their Board? Fancy that!

What does that mean in real terms and where exactly is the discrimination?

I don't have a problem with this. If I am religious and inviting someone into my home to perform such a critical task where they effectively become part of the family it is reasonable for someone to be able to make that choice.

Would it really happen that way? In 99.99999% of cases it wil be a simple question - Can you work the hours?

This seems to be implying that someone should be compelled to hire a person who can't fulfill the requirements of the job? Thats f**ken daft.

Most of these examples have been f**ken stupid but this takes it to a new level.

More scare tactics. That is a hateful and malicious statement that would be unlikely to get through.

Also, religion aside, a lot of companies have social media policies that prohibit you from saying much about your work place. The above comment would be a clear breach of that.

Why the f**ken f**k would a non jewish person want to go to jewish school? F**k me!

I'd like to think that in virtually every case it would be worked out between the school, kid and parents in a respectful manner.

I just can't honestly see a what a school would have to gain by doing that.

Lets flip this for a minute. The First Church of Satan should be allowed to use the Sydney Anglican Church's campsite to perform a black mass?

F**k off.

If I am applying to live in the home of someone who is deeply religious to the point where they would ask me that I am religious I am running a million f**king miles.

But, given that it is their house I don't begrudge their right to do so even if I think they are weird.

So at this point, you have to ask yourself what rights are actually being denied through enforcing such a rule?

I got a sore finger scrolling to the end of this and then hit reply and become even worse as I had to continue to scroll. So f**k you for that.
But I was going to say why do people take life so f**king seriously? We all will fade into the sun at some point, just chill out. Be humble and treat people how you would like to be treated.

hindy111

Post Whore
I won't pretend i know all about all .... serious question - what would currently happen if they did not introduce this? Are people who feel strongly about their beliefs currently open to prosecution if they say/do all that stuff? I wouldnt have thought so. Or maybe i just dont know.

Most battlers are to busy trying to survive to give a f**king shit. Just priveledge people care mostly about these things maybe cause they have time to think.

hindy111

Post Whore
It is designed to stop discrimination on religious grounds. I'm against any kind of discrimination rather than just the discrimination against things I happen to like and stand for.

I get discriminated against all the time. I accept it. I know my place and don't step the line.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yes. Here they are again for you:

1. You should't lecture on the basis of "unity, undertstanding and inclusiveness" when many of the people who are critical of the bill are showing anything but that.

2. Rather than silly, meaningless knee jerk reactions I decided to explore each of the listed concerns in detail and form my own opinion on their merit.

3. I doubt you'll be able to argue me on the specifics because based on any rational interpretation, the concerns that have been outlined are pretty weak. They are either irrelevant, unlikely or just plain misguided.

4. I don't have a lot of time for religion, but I don't believe people should be discriminated against because they are practicing it.

5. A lot of the concerns raised by people about not being able to go a jewish schoool or be employed by a church seem like a f**ken pathetic attempt to be a victim. I doubt they'd give two f**ks if there was some other type of discrimination towards some other group that ultimately benefitted them.

I can honestly say that I reserve my worst behaviour for you.

No it isn't. You keep wanting to put words in my mouth.

I put forward a considered view of each of those examples and am struggling to see any major issues. I say this as someone who isn't religious and should now be outraged about all of these major injustices.

I'll start believing that everyone should be treated equally when I see evidence of people being treated equally.

Thats the ultimate irony in all of this for me.

Equal rights for everyone (but only when my rights are threatened!!!).

Ffs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yet you smugly avoided your smugliness. If you’re not insecure, what motivates you to get personal and have a dig ? Curiouser and Curiouser indeed.
Well I just told you, and Gary has also made the point - the backlash to this bill is framed as a desire for inclusiveness while coming from the same attitude that currently grinds down religious communities with impunity.

hindy111

Post Whore
The most hilarious thing is you have people on here who don't agree with religion and some who do. I find the one's who don't are extremely hurtful towards the ones that do. Calling them stupid basicaly. Was it this person's fault this what what they where told?
Have you considered kids like myself who where raised as Catholics and slowly worked put it was potential bullshit.
Why I say potential is cause at some point everyone must sit on their own and wonder what the f**k all this is. It is all a little pointless. Most have no idea and just follow the basic criteria of how to live. This is just what has been shown to them. Is it possible we are just a reflection and life is a short trip? Are we actually just all beeing fooled and farmed by Aliens just like we farm animals? Are we some kids school project called Earth and he feeds us information? All this is unlikely but we just do not know and anyone who is trying to convince you they do are bullshitting themself

Well I just told you, and Gary has also made the point - the backlash to this bill is framed as a desire for inclusiveness while coming from the same attitude that currently grinds down religious communities with impunity.

I think several religious communities are doing a good job of grinding themselves down with impunity.

Gronk

Staff member

Lol gutless. You have a dig at me personally and run away when confronted.

As you were. :rainbow: