What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your "League Lockdown" Re-watch

I got a fair few special orders from my replay. Everything was good until a year ago, when they said they weren’t doing any more special orders as the NRL, were updating the way they covert the games from tape to digital. I’ve been hounding them non stop since then to Try to get more games that they didn’t have on their Catalogue. The last thing they ever told me (back in Jan) was that the NRL were possibly in the process of digitizing and uploading their whole back catalogue on the NRL site so punters can stream it. Not sure how long that’s gonna take though or if it will actually happen. You got a list of all your games mate?

Us vs...

Raiders (2019 GF)

Warriors (2019 WCC)

Storm (2018 GF)

Rabbitohs (2018, R22)

Broncos (2017 QF)

Cowboys (2014 SDS)

Broncos (2014, R3)

Warriors (2014 WCC)

Sea Eagles (2013 GF)

Sea Eagles (2013 QF)

Rabbitohs (2013, R26)

Rabbitohs (2012, R1)

Rabbitohs (2011, R1)

Tigers (2010 QF)

Bulldogs (2010, R19)

Cowboys (2004 GFQ)

Dragons (2004, ANZAC Day)

Saints (2003 WCC)

Warriors (2002 GF)

Broncos (2002 GFQ)

Knights (2000 GFQ)

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Jonathan Davies played for Widnes then moved to Warrington.

Had two spells in Australia first with Canterbury then with North Queensland.

Great player, check his highlights on Youtube, he is fantastic to watch.

I definitely remember him just not his clubs. From memory he was most dangerous going right and had great speed

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Watching 1999 gf now. Noticed Hugh jackman sings the anthem. The audio goes silent for the whole thing. Anyone know why?

No1_Eel

Juniors
Reading through this thread, I found some of the neutral games people posted to be awful.

My Team- Eels vs Dogs (prelim final)
Neutral- Broncos vs Cowboys (grand final)
Rep Game- England vs New Zealand (world cup semi)

SBD82

Coach
Reading through this thread, I found some of the neutral games people posted to be awful.

My Team- Eels vs Dogs (prelim final)
Neutral- Broncos vs Cowboys (grand final)
Rep Game- England vs New Zealand (world cup semi)
All bar the final 10 minutes of your neutral game was pretty awful. Some very negative footy from the Broncs.

No1_Eel

Juniors
All bar the final 10 minutes of your neutral game was pretty awful. Some very negative footy from the Broncs.

Negative for the last 10 minutes from the Broncos agreed but that's what allowed for the last minute comeback so can't really say it's a downside to the game when it allows that.

Are you one of those people who likes to be argue or be "different", it's considered one of the best games and grand finals of all time. I do agree with your point about the last 10 minutes from the Broncos.

Yesterday I watched a full replay of the 1985 Challenge Cup Final between Wigan and Hull at Wembley. Prompted off the back listening to the Rugby League Digest Podcast who did a piece on it.

An absolutely brilliant, free-flowing game. Sterling and Kenny on opposite sides. Chicka Ferguson had flown from Australia to play in it. Was a reminder of how brilliant these 3 guys were. Kenny in particular was awesome, deserved man of the match.

Many things struck me watching it, but the standout was how positive and jovial the commentary is (unlike the modern day saga-fest with commentators shoving their opinions of disapproval and outrage down our throats - we all know who they are..). Was befitting the occasion.

I'd happily watch this game in lockdown, add it to my list. Full version in link below.

SBD82

Coach
Negative for the last 10 minutes from the Broncos agreed but that's what allowed for the last minute comeback so can't really say it's a downside to the game when it allows that.
From memory they played negative footy for the entire second half. It’s a game from 5 years ago so I’d be happy for a better judge than you or I to confirm.

There were also poor moments from both halfbacks. Thurston’s aren’t remembered because he kicked the winning field goal. A very undeserving CCM winner imo. (I actually backed the cowboys into JT CCM. So I remember thinking what an absurd choice he was... As I counted my money

Are you one of those people who likes to be argue or be "different",
Yeah.... see... you’re just kind of being a dick here. There are plenty of dumbmerkins in the world. Not agreeing with them and not swallowing the Channel 9 narrative doesn’t necessarily make me a wannabe edgelord.

King hit

Coach
I was at the game, don't remember him singing at all so don't know why. Then again, I've repressed a lot of the memories of that day..
The dragons after that grand final must’ve felt exactly like how Balmain did in 1989. Sitting around looking at the floor in wonder how they managed to lose like that. Just imagine if a grand final today ended like that.

The dragons after that grand final must’ve felt exactly like how Balmain did in 1989. Sitting around looking at the floor in wonder how they managed to lose like that. Just imagine if a grand final today ended like that.

and @The Mad Hatter ...

I've not known emptiness like it.

My summary..

When we qualified I scrambled to get tickets for 4.. I got tickets about 5 rows from the back of the Southern Wing - which was basically in the clouds.

I'd been having one of the best weekends of my life... TIckets sorted, out Friday and Saturday nights, pulled birds on both night much higher in the batting order than I, it was just all mean to be.

Needed oxygen tanks and a Sherpa to guide us to our seats on Sunday with a steaming hangover, But the sense I might see us actually win a comp made it all take a back seat, I wasn't over-confident - just optimistic.

The Blacklock Try sent the whole joint into a frenzy. I've not heard anything like it. There was about a 1-2 second delay from him making the break to the crowd realising what had just happened.

Half time..

Then the second half you could sense something had shifted. Rather than us dominating, the Storm came out fiercely led by Nikau. A try from them and it was all getting a bit too tense..

Finally my bladder gave in after about my 9th beer of the day.. with a precarious lead at about the 60th minute I raced from my seat in the sky to the gents. I had the whole joint pretty much to myself as I firstly heard then felt stand rumble.... something out there was happening and I had a sickening sense we were on the receiving end. I raced back to my seat about a litre lighter and the storm were on our line... of dear..

The penalty try... down my end. Was clear as day to us as soon as it happened we were screwed. Even as high as we were.. This couldn't be happening...

We lost.

Walking out, with the crowd about 70% Dragons.. (of a Crowd over 100,000) I remember eerie silence, people looking blankly at the ground walking to wherever they had to go. I went to the train station. I'm sure there were storm fans singing and cheering but I don't remember it.

I got of at Sutherland Station after the most depressing train ride of my life. In my Number 11 Dragons Jersey (Darren Treacy) I stood in the rain waiting for a housemate to pick me up and take me home. The jersey was pretty much a bullseye for all the Sharks fans driving and walking by. I wasn't phased by all the abuse. I was just numb.

I still am in a way writing this. But being back at the GF in 2010 to see us win... it made up for it.

I've never watched the full game since... but if Tawera Nikau didn't have the best grand final performance of any player in the modern era I'd be surprised. Bugger Smith, Slater, Cronk and anyone else - if they wanna build a statue at Olympic Park he should be the first to be honoured.

On a side note - I used to take the piss out of fans from many other clubs over the years, as those fans did to me... especially Sharks and Bunnies fans who I knew... Sharks had won nothing and the Rabbits hadn't done anything since man landed on the moon...

But after our win in 2010 I mellowed. When the Rabbits won in 2015 - I couldn't have been happier for them. And the Sharks (yes - a mortal enemy) win in 2016...when the siren went I was over the moon for them. I couldn't believe I felt that way but I did. In many ways we'd been all through the same thing. We'll still hate each other and take the piss but I can still be happy for my enemies.

From memory they played negative footy for the entire second half. It’s a game from 5 years ago so I’d be happy for a better judge than you or I to confirm.

There were also poor moments from both halfbacks. Thurston’s aren’t remembered because he kicked the winning field goal. A very undeserving CCM winner imo. (I actually backed the cowboys into JT CCM. So I remember thinking what an absurd choice he was... As I counted my money

Yeah.... see... you’re just kind of being a dick here. There are plenty of dumbmerkins in the world. Not agreeing with them and not swallowing the Channel 9 narrative doesn’t necessarily make me a wannabe edgelord.

Great grand final - but the thing that stood out for me was the Channel 9 coverage at the end was horrible, all about the Cowboys and basically nothing about the Broncos. That ending of regular time was as tense as it gets but 2 minutes of Thurston trying to set himself up for a goal was all we got (as big as the moment was)… no footage of the Broncos guys behind the goal line..... apart from a quick shot of Thaiday with his hands on his head... It's like they didn't matter or exist. Two teams had played their guts out yet only one team mattered then..

I’d loved to have seen how the broncos were waiting for that kick. But no - 2 minutes waiting for Thurstons' "Horror Movie".

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
and @The Mad Hatter ...

I've not known emptiness like it.

My summary..

When we qualified I scrambled to get tickets for 4.. I got tickets about 5 rows from the back of the Southern Wing - which was basically in the clouds.

I'd been having one of the best weekends of my life... TIckets sorted, out Friday and Saturday nights, pulled birds on both night much higher in the batting order than I, it was just all mean to be.

Needed oxygen tanks and a Sherpa to guide us to our seats on Sunday with a steaming hangover, But the sense I might see us actually win a comp made it all take a back seat, I wasn't over-confident - just optimistic.

The Blacklock Try sent the whole joint into a frenzy. I've not heard anything like it. There was about a 1-2 second delay from him making the break to the crowd realising what had just happened.

Half time..

Then the second half you could sense something had shifted. Rather than us dominating, the Storm came out fiercely led by Nikau. A try from them and it was all getting a bit too tense..

Finally my bladder gave in after about my 9th beer of the day.. with a precarious lead at about the 60th minute I raced from my seat in the sky to the gents. I had the whole joint pretty much to myself as I firstly heard then felt stand rumble.... something out there was happening and I had a sickening sense we were on the receiving end. I raced back to my seat about a litre lighter and the storm were on our line... of dear..

The penalty try... down my end. Was clear as day to us as soon as it happened we were screwed. Even as high as we were.. This couldn't be happening...

We lost.

Walking out, with the crowd about 70% Dragons.. (of a Crowd over 100,000) I remember eerie silence, people looking blankly at the ground walking to wherever they had to go. I went to the train station. I'm sure there were storm fans singing and cheering but I don't remember it.

I got of at Sutherland Station after the most depressing train ride of my life. In my Number 11 Dragons Jersey (Darren Treacy) I stood in the rain waiting for a housemate to pick me up and take me home. The jersey was pretty much a bullseye for all the Sharks fans driving and walking by. I wasn't phased by all the abuse. I was just numb.

I still am in a way writing this. But being back at the GF in 2010 to see us win... it made up for it.

I've never watched the full game since... but if Tawera Nikau didn't have the best grand final performance of any player in the modern era I'd be surprised. Bugger Smith, Slater, Cronk and anyone else - if they wanna build a statue at Olympic Park he should be the first to be honoured.

On a side note - I used to take the piss out of fans from many other clubs over the years, as those fans did to me... especially Sharks and Bunnies fans who I knew... Sharks had won nothing and the Rabbits hadn't done anything since man landed on the moon...

But after our win in 2010 I mellowed. When the Rabbits won in 2015 - I couldn't have been happier for them. And the Sharks (yes - a mortal enemy) win in 2016...when the siren went I was over the moon for them. I couldn't believe I felt that way but I did. In many ways we'd been all through the same thing. We'll still hate each other and take the piss but I can still be happy for my enemies.

This here is great prose. Reading through gave me the feeling of being there, moment by moment, right from the start and that sense of having had a great Friday/ Saturday night and sensing everything is going your way- to that flat and 'muted' feeling at the end.

My memory of '99 is actually quite similar to how I felt after last years' GF...for the past couple of weeks I'd been thinking increasingly that the season would have a fairytale ending for somebody (in '99 it was either going to be Parra exorcising their demons of '98/ Sharks winning their maiden Premiership/ Dragons having their dream run culminate in a Premiership v last year where it was meant to be Parra breaking their drought/ the Raiders going from punch-line to Premiers). Yet that anticipation fizzled out into an underwhelming finish- and the added sinking realisation that the footy's gone again for 6 months.