What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your "League Lockdown" Re-watch

Generalzod

Immortal
and @The Mad Hatter ...

I've not known emptiness like it.

My summary..

When we qualified I scrambled to get tickets for 4.. I got tickets about 5 rows from the back of the Southern Wing - which was basically in the clouds.

I'd been having one of the best weekends of my life... TIckets sorted, out Friday and Saturday nights, pulled birds on both night much higher in the batting order than I, it was just all mean to be.

Needed oxygen tanks and a Sherpa to guide us to our seats on Sunday with a steaming hangover, But the sense I might see us actually win a comp made it all take a back seat, I wasn't over-confident - just optimistic.

The Blacklock Try sent the whole joint into a frenzy. I've not heard anything like it. There was about a 1-2 second delay from him making the break to the crowd realising what had just happened.

Half time..

Then the second half you could sense something had shifted. Rather than us dominating, the Storm came out fiercely led by Nikau. A try from them and it was all getting a bit too tense..

Finally my bladder gave in after about my 9th beer of the day.. with a precarious lead at about the 60th minute I raced from my seat in the sky to the gents. I had the whole joint pretty much to myself as I firstly heard then felt stand rumble.... something out there was happening and I had a sickening sense we were on the receiving end. I raced back to my seat about a litre lighter and the storm were on our line... of dear..

The penalty try... down my end. Was clear as day to us as soon as it happened we were screwed. Even as high as we were.. This couldn't be happening...

We lost.

Walking out, with the crowd about 70% Dragons.. (of a Crowd over 100,000) I remember eerie silence, people looking blankly at the ground walking to wherever they had to go. I went to the train station. I'm sure there were storm fans singing and cheering but I don't remember it.

I got of at Sutherland Station after the most depressing train ride of my life. In my Number 11 Dragons Jersey (Darren Treacy) I stood in the rain waiting for a housemate to pick me up and take me home. The jersey was pretty much a bullseye for all the Sharks fans driving and walking by. I wasn't phased by all the abuse. I was just numb.

I still am in a way writing this. But being back at the GF in 2010 to see us win... it made up for it.

I've never watched the full game since... but if Tawera Nikau didn't have the best grand final performance of any player in the modern era I'd be surprised. Bugger Smith, Slater, Cronk and anyone else - if they wanna build a statue at Olympic Park he should be the first to be honoured.

On a side note - I used to take the piss out of fans from many other clubs over the years, as those fans did to me... especially Sharks and Bunnies fans who I knew... Sharks had won nothing and the Rabbits hadn't done anything since man landed on the moon...

But after our win in 2010 I mellowed. When the Rabbits won in 2015 - I couldn't have been happier for them. And the Sharks (yes - a mortal enemy) win in 2016...when the siren went I was over the moon for them. I couldn't believe I felt that way but I did. In many ways we'd been all through the same thing. We'll still hate each other and take the piss but I can still be happy for my enemies.
Mortal enemy more like dysfunctional family lol

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Yesterday I watched a full replay of the 1985 Challenge Cup Final between Wigan and Hull at Wembley. Prompted off the back listening to the Rugby League Digest Podcast who did a piece on it.

An absolutely brilliant, free-flowing game. Sterling and Kenny on opposite sides. Chicka Ferguson had flown from Australia to play in it. Was a reminder of how brilliant these 3 guys were. Kenny in particular was awesome, deserved man of the match.

Many things struck me watching it, but the standout was how positive and jovial the commentary is (unlike the modern day saga-fest with commentators shoving their opinions of disapproval and outrage down our throats - we all know who they are..). Was befitting the occasion.

I'd happily watch this game in lockdown, add it to my list. Full version in link below.

Thanks for this recommendation. It’s about time I watched this game.

Kenny’s first try was great.
Heard of Gary Kemble before but it’s the first time I’ve seen him play and he had plenty of game.

The first tackle of the game pretty much sets the tone. Free flowing footy but still some great defense too by both sides.

Haven’t reached half time but have already seen so much footy if that makes sense

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I watched a the Bears v Broncos 94 (I think) fantastic semi.
The 91 GF as well I was surprised to see how good a player Colin Van der Voort was,

Yep
Young though.
The game has been recorded off the television in regional nsw so the add breaks are a real treat. Quality poor at times but still great to watch

That is one of the best things about watching old games on tape. Ads you’d long forgotten, and probably loathed at the time.

Reflector

Juniors
That is one of the best things about watching old games on tape. Ads you’d long forgotten, and probably loathed at the time.

Got a tape somewhere of Parra v Canberra from 1990 and midway through the game this voice over comes on going "Where's that bloke who's into the birds? Cause his McNuggets are ready!" followed by the 'Good time- great taste- at McDonald's!' jingle and the logo on the screen. The tries all have a Nissan Pulsar running across the bottom of the screen too

Got a tape somewhere of Parra v Canberra from 1990 and midway through the game this voice over comes on going "Where's that bloke who's into the birds? Cause his McNuggets are ready!" followed by the 'Good time- great taste- at McDonald's!' jingle and the logo on the screen. The tries all have a Nissan Pulsar running across the bottom of the screen too

haha that’s brilliant. Wasn’t a Pulsar Reebok by ahh chance?

Catchy jingle

Slightly off topic, but related to watching old crap...

Why haven't companies like Coke, Maccas, KFC, cars, etc released DVDs of their ads? Even when Australian laws meant the ads were made here, there were some classics made... Most of them I could quote verbatim... And when that Ice cold coke hits the back of my throat... although the 1993/94 Always Coca Cola jingle shit me to tears.

Anyway...back to it.

Dark Corner

Juniors
God I was to young for the 1985 Challenge Cup final between Wigan v Hull FC but Bret Kenny and Peter Sterling were the major playmakers in that fantastic final in front of nearly 100,000 fans.
Miss the old Challenge Cup before Super League and the play was exciting and players weren't just gym junkies.

Just watched on Youtube the 1986 3rd Test and 1988 WC Final both against NZ. Lot's of niggle, high tackles and off the ball fights. After being replaced with a broken arm in the 88 game it was funny to see Wally smoking a dart on the sideline while being interviewed by Johnny Gibbs

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Broncos vs eels 1996 today.
Sensational. Definitely worth a watch if you’re a broncos fan.
It’s the first win over the eels at anz for the broncos.
Peter Johnson is superb for the eels. So is Jason Smith ibm
Aaron raper has a very up and down game and this is a good reason for the hia rule.
Check out the game he has

SBD82

Coach
Broncos vs eels 1996 today.
Sensational. Definitely worth a watch if you’re a broncos fan.
It’s the first win over the eels at anz for the broncos.
Peter Johnson is superb for the eels. So is Jason Smith ibm
Aaron raper has a very up and down game and this is a good reason for the hia rule.
Check out the game he has
Was this a different ANZ to the current one?

Was this a different ANZ to the current one?

It’s the old QE2 stadium in Brisbane which was sponsored by ANZ for a time. Held about 60,000 from memory. Think it is still in existence but unsure, and can’t remember any major sport played there since the Broncos went back to the redeveloped Lang Park.

SBD82

Coach
It’s the old QE2 stadium in Brisbane which was sponsored by ANZ for a time. Held about 60,000 from memory. Think it is still in existence but unsure, and can’t remember any major sport played there since the Broncos went back to the redeveloped Lang Park.
Thanks mate.

I get completely lost sometimes. Too many stadium name changes over the years.