What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Johnny88

Juniors
NRL out to lock in longer TV deals
Rugby league bosses are willing to contemplate a whopping five-year extension to their current broadcasting deals with Foxtel and the Nine Network as they look to future-proof the code and ensure their clubs and players have a billion-dollar backstop for protection.

On the same day Nine boss Hugh Marks warned the station’s love affair with rugby league may be coming to an end, The Australian can reveal the idea of a new deal that would secure the game’s broadcasting rights until the end of 2027 is in the mix.

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys was reluctant to discuss the broadcasting negotiations, although further talks will be held this week as the parties attempt to strike a deal for the remainder of this season.

There has been talk that contracts with Nine and Foxtel could be extended as part of those negotiations and it is understood rugby league officials are open to an additional five years if that helps get a deal over the line.

The slow progress of broadcasting talks have delayed an announcement on the draw and hampered efforts to set the salary and football caps for next season and beyond.

Marks has been a thorn in the NRL’s side during talks and he continued his aggressive commentary at the Macquarie Australia Conference 2020 on Tuesday afternoon.

READ MORE:Players facing the mother of all lockdowns|NRL’s ‘heartland’ won’t give up grand final, says Barilaro|City backlash clouds Storm plans|Test your sporting knowledge
“It’s not a given that NRL has to be part of our future,” Marks said. “It has to just pay its way like all of our content does, and if it doesn’t, well … again, we are less reliant on that as a revenue source.”

Marks said he wanted to get out of the way and allow the NRL to restart this season. But he added that beyond that, nothing had been set in stone.

“We have to be hard … we have agreed to nothing this year,” he said. “There is no agreement on value or for how long.”

Both the Nine and Foxtel are attempting to drive down the value of rights this season, citing a shortened schedule, as well as the lack of crowds and subsequent atmosphere at games.

At the same time, V’landys is doing his best to extract as much as he can from the broadcasters.

He provided an update on the talks to the commission on Tuesday night but was well aware of Marks’ comments when he emerged from those discussions.

“We’re comfortable with where we are with Channel 9 and we will continue to work with them to get to the end,” V’landys said. “I am not going to go into public with commercially sensitive negotiations but all I can say is the discussion with Nine continue to be fruitful.

“It is a complex process that is not easy to explain to people.”

The frustration is palpable in clubland as officials struggle to plan a future with so much uncertainty surrounding the code. V’landys is determined to get a deal done, hence the game’s willingness to consider another five-year term so soon after agreeing to their existing deal, which is worth close to $2 billion and runs until the end of 2022.

Brisbane chief executive Paul White spoke for everyone in clubland on Tuesday when he urged officials to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

“We have worked as hard as any code to fulfil our obligations and I would hope our broadcast partners see that and enter negotiations to reach some finalisation in the next couple of weeks,” White said.

“They are tough negotiations and the broadcast partners (Nine and Fox) will have numbers in mind and have a deal they believe will be commensurate with the value we provide as a game.

“We have contracts locked in with those broadcast partners and they have been developed on the basis of playing 24 games of footy and three State of Origin games. The longer it remains outstanding, the more pressure it puts on everyone.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/f6995a21dbb58a2e301adf41ef1600e7

Johnny88

Juniors
Channel Nine eyes AFL rights, heaps pressure on NRL

Nine Entertainment Co chief executive Hugh Marks has expressed a willingness to walk away from NRL if the sport does not significantly reduce its broadcast fee, stoking suggestions the network could make a play for AFL beyond 2022.

An industry source said Nine, the publisher of this masthead, had a genuine interest in securing rights to AFL when both codes’ deals expire in 2022, if the network was unable to come to an agreement with NRL for an extended deal at a cheaper rate.

The Age reported last month that the AFL was working behind the scenes on a two-year contract extension through to 2024 with its free-to-air broadcast partner, Channel 7, and pay TV operator Fox Sports at a marginally reduced rate, and this would have to be shelved for Nine to enter negotiations for AFL matches.

Nine has strategically ramped up its AFL content in recent times, screening stable program Footy Classified two nights a week in Melbourne and significantly increasing its digital AFL content.

Sources close to negotiations have since told The Age that Nine is seeking a further reduction as part of the company’s reassessment of the value of live sport, but is willing to provide the NRL with the long-term security of an extended rights deal until the end of 2025, an additional three years on top of the current arrangement that expires at the end of 2022.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/channel-nine-move-on-afl-20200505-p54q4z.html

BuffaloRules

Coach
Channel 9 looking to screw over the game like Packer did to Arko and Quayle 30 years ago when Ten went bankrupt...

The NRL better hope that there is another option interested in FTA coverage and is at least going to drive up the price, because there wasn’t back then and it set the NRL back years...

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Channel Nine eyes AFL rights, heaps pressure on NRL

Nine Entertainment Co chief executive Hugh Marks has expressed a willingness to walk away from NRL if the sport does not significantly reduce its broadcast fee, stoking suggestions the network could make a play for AFL beyond 2022.

An industry source said Nine, the publisher of this masthead, had a genuine interest in securing rights to AFL when both codes’ deals expire in 2022, if the network was unable to come to an agreement with NRL for an extended deal at a cheaper rate.

The Age reported last month that the AFL was working behind the scenes on a two-year contract extension through to 2024 with its free-to-air broadcast partner, Channel 7, and pay TV operator Fox Sports at a marginally reduced rate, and this would have to be shelved for Nine to enter negotiations for AFL matches.

Nine has strategically ramped up its AFL content in recent times, screening stable program Footy Classified two nights a week in Melbourne and significantly increasing its digital AFL content.

Sources close to negotiations have since told The Age that Nine is seeking a further reduction as part of the company’s reassessment of the value of live sport, but is willing to provide the NRL with the long-term security of an extended rights deal until the end of 2025, an additional three years on top of the current arrangement that expires at the end of 2022.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/channel-nine-move-on-afl-20200505-p54q4z.html

God let it be true. VFL to 9 and NRL to 7 *f**king drool*

(I wonder if they will bury VFL on the digital channels at midnight in NSW/QLD...)

Last edited by a moderator:

AJB1102

First Grade
If the pandemic is driving the value down and you're at all confident of the world coming out the other side you'd be mad to sell what you anticipate to be a "post-COVID19" product in and based on a COVID19 environment. There is 2 years (hopefully COVID free) to run, why negotiate beyond that in the current strange and hopefully temporary circumstances?

Renegotiate 2020 for sure. But if seasons 2021/22 and beyond are good to go as normal f**k firesaling it off at a COVID discount rate.

COUNCIL UNDER FIRE AFTER STORM SNUB

Melbourne say their return to NRL training in Albury won’t be impacted by a shock local council decision to ban them from using their preferred ground.

The warm welcome for the Warriors in Tamworth wasn’t repeated for the Storm in the border town, with councillors holding an extraordinary meeting on Tuesday night and voting five to four against them using any council managed facilities. Melbourne had intended using Greenfields Park, the home of the local rugby league team.

Deputy mayor Amanda Cohn, who is a local doctor, described allowing the Storm to use council grounds when others could not as a “slap in the face”.

Aware of the growing backlash, Melbourne already had a back-up plan and will use the Albury Sports Ground, which is the home of the local AFL team, and not managed by the council.

Storm boss Dave Donaghy has expressed his disappointment at the decision and while some commended the council’s bold stance, plenty of pundits took to social media to accuse the council of short-sightedness and “grandstanding”.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/64fe0a348a4dc55f7d9a9ab328c69864

Haffa

"Surely it would be better if we just relied on what the broadcasters were already doing rather than going into competition and creating a whole other cost base on top of what already exists. We know what the NRL needs, which is a direct communication with their fan base.

"That can be facilitated through Nine and through Fox Sports and by us sort of supporting the nrl.com website. We can do that a lot more cost effectively than they can. For us, it's about saying, 'Here's one opportunity for you to reduce your cost base and make the sport more sustainable for the long term'."
Jesus that’s a poor take from Marks. Who is he trying to convince? The majority of the RL public don’t trust News limited and his team at Nine have spent the past few weeks showing us what coverage they’d produce if given the keys.

colly

Juniors
So do advertisers ask for the same Covid-19 discounts Marks is requesting?
You hit the nail on the head. What has been lost is most advertising during the NRL season is booze and betting. When the NRL hits the screens I wager that bet 365, Sportsbet, Tab and others will be FIGHTING to get their product seen and will pay top dollar$

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think it's time the NRL abandoned these scummy, archaic broadcasters and moved to a Netflix style subscription service.

As a ballpark figure, $19 per month or $195 annual pass. You'd get every 2nd household in Qld and NSW on board I reckon; plus plenty more throughout Australia.

Now obviously it's a lot more complex than throwing out the name "Netflix" and a dollar value; but principally this should be the way forward.

I think it could be just as profitable in the long run and it has the delicious added bonus of sending Foxtel bust and probably doing the same to Channel 9.

T-Boon

Coach
You hit the nail on the head. What has been lost is most advertising during the NRL season is booze and betting. When the NRL hits the screens I wager that bet 365, Sportsbet, Tab and others will be FIGHTING to get their product seen and will pay top dollar$

And KFC or other fast food outlets.

Valheru

Coach
I think it's time the NRL abandoned these scummy, archaic broadcasters and moved to a Netflix style subscription service.

As a ballpark figure, $19 per month or $195 annual pass. You'd get every 2nd household in Qld and NSW on board I reckon; plus plenty more throughout Australia.

Now obviously it's a lot more complex than throwing out the name "Netflix" and a dollar value; but principally this should be the way forward.

I think it could be just as profitable in the long run and it has the delicious added bonus of sending Foxtel bust and probably doing the same to Channel 9.

On the surface this looks good but when you delve in to it, it just isn't economically feasible thus the reason that the American sports have advanced subscription services yet still have FTA coverage to the point they black out their streaming service in the local market or when games are nationally televised.

You might say X amount of subscriptions equals $Y and that looks great but if you go it alone you are paying for all the infrastructure to broadcast and host the service and the associated labour which is not cheap.

Unfortunately for the NRL (and any sport in Australia) is that the American model won't work either. Their streaming in addition to traditional TV works because of three reasons, A) There are a heap more games played, B) A tonne are played at the same time and C) Their population is much more de-centralised than ours with mostly one team cities in any given sport.This means that if I'm a Detroit Tigers fan living in LA for example, there is no real way for me to watch my team play on a regular basis other than subscribing to the MLB streaming service.

The situation is different here with half the teams being in the same city and games being played in standalone slots meaning all I need to do to be guaranteed to see every game my team plays is to either pay for foxtel, pay for kayo or go to the pub.

That's not to say the NRL shouldn't develop a streaming service (particularly aimed at overseas subscribers) because you never know what technology is around the corner but the bread and butter of any competition is still going to be traditional TV rights for a while yet. The NRL just needs to show some balls at the negotiating table.