What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan or Bennett

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Would you rather the NRL relax the ban on Flanno and have him take over say round 6 signed to a 3 year deal or let Mary see out the year which is a nothing year anyway imo and sign up Bennett for 2021? I personally would prefer Bennett as I believe he has the patience to get the most out of our juniors and also has the pulling power to get us some decent players. Ultimately I would like Shep or Matt Head to take over for the year while we await Bennett. Thoughts?

Walpole

Juniors
Need a third option. Bennett's not getting much out of Souths at the moment and Flanagan oversaw one of the grubbiest periods at any club in recent times. As suggested, Shaun Wane would be a great choice with one of those cardboard cut-outs to fill in (preferably with Harry Bath's photo) until he's ready.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Need a third option. Bennett's not getting much out of Souths at the moment and Flanagan oversaw one of the grubbiest periods at any club in recent times. As suggested, Shaun Wane would be a great choice with one of those cardboard cut-outs to fill in (preferably with Harry Bath's photo) until he's ready.
I agree I’m just going with what seems to realistically on the table right now. I really don’t rate Flanno, don’t think his grubby style will ever work with us.

mickeylane

Bench
IMO the boards choice and the dark horse here is Fitzgibbon, a junior, living locally still but plying his trade at the Roosters...could be available in 2021 based on an early release from his contract...If Mcgregor goes early which is really on the cards now w looming board meeting then Shepherd or Head may take over till the end of year..

qld redvee

Juniors
We need a fresh start......

Shaun Wane for me.
DS
Shaun Wane would be a fresh start but would you be inclined to give him say 18 months contract ensuring get out clauses ?
Only problem would be getting him here due to covid virus and ban on travelling - this would imo rule him out this year ...

Coffs dragon

Bench
Anything is an improvement!
Personally I think an interim coach like Matt Head for 2020 to give the younger players an opportunity, before the broom is swept thru the joint.
I’d prefer some fresh ideas and new blood within the coaching ranks and really like the idea of Craig Fitzgibbon. Defence coach for the chooks & NSW Origin whom has done a long apprenticeship under Trent Robinson. He’ll put some steel in our soft underbelly.
Bennett is a Legend, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to return back. It never worked for the Broncos. Flanno would have to get his ban overruled before Ever being considered.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
DS
Shaun Wane would be a fresh start but would you be inclined to give him say 18 months contract ensuring get out clauses ?
Only problem would be getting him here due to covid virus and ban on travelling - this would imo rule him out this year ...

With the cancellation of internation fuxtures Wane becomes available now. You are 100% correct with the current travel restrictions in place, however, with the easing of lockdowns etc both here and in the UK, July seems to be a possibility.
In saying that, he would need time to find his feet and I would expect an interim coach for the remainder of the season. This would also give him time to examine the roster etc.
In answer to your question, a 2yr deal, with club option for a 3rd, starting in 2021.

hewi

Bench
Bennett one year then Flanagan two years performance based contract if neither Toovey.

TruSaint

Referee
For now, if I had to choose between the 2 above ? Wayne..

Flanno may be a good coach, but Im still concerned that the year prior and year after they won the comp they were caught out. Doesnt stack up. Will always have a cloud over their title.

Wayne to restore some pride for now.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
For now, if I had to choose between the 2 above ? Wayne..

Flanno may be a good coach, but Im still concerned that the year prior and year after they won the comp they were caught out. Doesnt stack up. Will always have a cloud over their title.

Wayne to restore some pride for now.
Yeah would be nice if we had more options but the question is more around, would you take short term gain ie Mary sacked, Flanno in for long term pain ie being stuck with another sideways trade for 3 years. As it is a nothing year anyway if dealing with Mary for 12 months gets us a Wayne or Wane id take that over the possibility of being stuck with Flanno, Shep or god forbid Dean Young. Nothing against Dean Young but an apprenticeship under Mary is not an apprenticeship. If he goes overseas for 5 years has some success I would entertain him.

Dragon David

First Grade
IMO the boards choice and the dark horse here is Fitzgibbon, a junior, living locally still but plying his trade at the Roosters...could be available in 2021 based on an early release from his contract...If Mcgregor goes early which is really on the cards now w looming board meeting then Shepherd or Head may take over till the end of year..

Fitzgibbon would be a great head coach for us. He has had many years at the Roosters as a player and as an assistant coach under Trent Robinson for a very long time so he would have learnt a lot and helped with the Roosters winning the past 2 grand finals.

His experience is what is needed at the Dragons. The question is though, why would he want to come to this club, even though he might be still living in the area, when years ago he was told that he was not wanted and joined the Roosters to play and he has never really looked back?

He might see it as a great challenge to coach the Dragons nonetheless.

Shaun Wane would also be interesting. He does not appear to be a guy who would take rubbish and likes a challenge. He has good Super League credentials, but coming into the NRL might be harder than what it appears.

Anyway, this thread is about whether we go with Flanagan or Bennett. Flanagan will have a point to prove but I cannot see him being able to get off his 2 year ban and so to do this we would have to wait until 2022 and put an interim coach in for either the rest of this year, if McGregor was sacked this year, or in 2021 which is the year that McGregor will miss out on. Of course Flanagan would be signed well and truly before the end of 2021so that he can sort out his squad for 2022.

With Bennett, well I think that he has reached the end of his prime and whilst he has that quality of being able to nurture the younger guys and possibly being able to bring in some outside guys to strengthen our squad, he isn't what he was like as in the years gone by.

So between Flanagan and Bennett, I'd say Flanagan.

Latest posts