1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Flanagan or Bennett

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Forbes Creek Dragons, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Como Connection

Como Connection Bench

Plus they cannot afford to pay his wage.
    CC

Dragonsamy and TruSaint like this.
  2. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Bench

No to another Rookie. Especially one within the unlimited resources of Roosters..

BBTB likes this.
  3. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Bench

Yes agree.

BBTB likes this.
  4. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

From memory in recent history we had David Waite (experienced) made the GF, Farrer (inexperienced) nothing, Brown (rookie) nothing, Bennett (experienced) GF win, Chinless (rookie) nothing, Mary (rookie) nothing. I see a pattern here...How is it that our once mighty club has had an experienced coach for a total of 5 years in the last 21-22 years? Is there another club that has had so many rookies?

5. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Bench

Not only experienced but also someone who will demand discipline and toughness. We need a hard tough coach to get that back. Our team is a soft and teams just walk all over us....

Warabrook saint likes this.
  6. BBTB

BBTB Juniors

Shepherd to coach.
    Flanagan assistant.
    Mary.. Gone...
    Flanagan & Shepherd
    Premiership winning

7. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

To answer the question it’s Flanno for me. Love Wayne but as I stated in a previous post imo there’s some negatives if we go back to Wayne such as his age which can come with health issues & my main concern is he comes in has a complete clean out then moves on or his health deteriorates & we’re back to where we were when he was last here. Some coaches-Bellamy,Robinson,Dessie,Stuart just have a win at all costs mentality & I think Flanno falls into this category. Heaven knows we need a change in mentality.

hazzbeen, mbk78, Dragonsamy and 2 others like this.
  8. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

If it is down to those 2 then Flanagan
    But Bellamy should be the target..
    Imagine how many sprays, swearing and broken items in the coach box that would apply until Bellamy finally got the squad he wanted....putting up with our lot on the field

getsmarty likes this.
  9. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

Can we afford Bennett is the big question? He won't come cheap.

As others have mentioned today, a payout to McGregor severley hampers our coaching cap for this year and 2021.

Solution (maybe):
    Lobby the NRL to reduce Flannos ban and allow him to be head coach in 2021. Bennett employed as 'overseer', basically an executive position outside of the coaching ranks. Yet, he would still have an impact or say on coaching etc. Therefore, Flanno would be head coach for a time with Bennett as his boss. This may appease the NRL more.
    If McGregor is sacked (soon), then Shep takes the reigns until this all goes down.

IMO, however, this is not an ideal situation but one born out of incompetence from our Board and former CEO's. It should never come down to this.

I still say a fresh start is required anf the most credentialed candidate is Shaun Wane. No more rookies, no more jobs for 'old boys'.

10. possm

possm Coach

I don't think Bennett is available.

My preference is for the NRL to relax it's the ban on Flanagan and for Sheppard to be appointed interim coach until Flanagan becomes available.

11. Walpole

Walpole Juniors

I cannot for the life of me understand why people want Flanagan as the head coach.

A bloke who was heavily involved in the doping of his players, banned from the game, broke the conditions of his ban and then was de-registered as a coach.

There are plenty of coaches out there who could do a better job than our current goose. I'd prefer us to have a bit of dignity in who we choose.

12. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Agree 100%.

For some unknown reason people want to bring a known cheat and liar into the most important position in our football club.

Our club seems to have lost all pride and takes decisions (roster & coaches) on the basis that anything better than what we have is therefore acceptable.

That logic managed to get us so far down the table of respectability that the scum that floats on top of the sewer we now live in is looked upon as an upgrade.

Pride, integrity & accountability is what will make us into a side we can be proud of and Flanno doesn't bring that to the table.

Dragonsamy, Walpole and Coffs dragon like this.
  13. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Bench

It was reported recently on radio, that Wayne Bennett will fully honour his contract with Souths and will not leave the club any earlier. JD takes over in 2022 as head coach.

Flanno is still under NRL ban irrespective of any wishful thinking within the media ranks.

If it comes down to lack of Finances, then I’m sure Head, Young or Shepard could fill in as interim coach for the remainder of the 2020 claytons year. The club should then advertise & interview to attract the best available candidate with reputation & a record of rebuilding and success. I still believe Craig Fitzgibbon could & would be an ideal candidate to a introduce a fresh approach based on the Roosters structures.

Dragonsamy, draco and TruSaint like this.
  14. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Coffs, mate I can recall Bennett saying he would see out his contract at Brisbane, and then within weeks the shitfight between he and Seibold started.

hazzbeen, to_ddeath and Coffs dragon like this.
  15. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Bench

Yes Tru, but the Broncos really wanted to sack Bennett and in the end it became untenable situation for both parties.
    I cannot see Maxamus Crowe allowing Wayne to walk out a year ahead of his 3 year contract. He still attracts corporate power & sponsorship to the organisation.

TruSaint likes this.
  16. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

You may be right mate.
    Im not so sure that Wayne is keen to stay on, and he usually gets his way.

Lets see what pans out bro.

Coffs dragon likes this.
  17. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Juniors

Agree

18. Wittenberg

Wittenberg Juniors

Always thought Flanagan was a grub, have not seen or heard anything that would change my mind and he certainly has not had much impact on the standard of our defence even though I know it is early days. Anyone at the moment would be better than Mary but we can’t afford to be driven by desperation and sign another Steve Price. Affording a quality coach is our biggest hurdle and that will make it extremely hard. Fitzgibbon may have to be a serious contender because not too many established coaches would consider coming to our club given how much of a basket case we have become. There is no doubt that for some time we will have to pay overs to attract players. Personally I’d rather pay overs to get a good coach and rely on our juniors. All in all I think the Mary years will leave a legacy that will see us struggle for at least three years, maybe more. Bleak outlook I know but when Mary goes at least we can hope to slowly rebuild this club again.

19. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

Walpole
    I think some people want success and don't care how they get it

Walpole and hazzbeen like this.
  20. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

While I agree with what you have said re Fitzgibbon.
    Are you sure he want to leave the roosters?

Coffs dragon likes this.