What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
On NRL360 tonight, Paul K*nt and Ben Ikin tore shreds off Siebold and Broncs management. And I mean tore shreds. At one point, laughed at the suggestion that Siebold needs better assistants - what's the point of paying $800k to a head cb if he needs help.

Why the f#*kers treat poor performances differently from club to club is beyond me. This narrative that the Dragons and similar clubs should be satisfied with the odd finals appearance, but the high performance clubs need success and need immediate action.

The baldy prick has done nothing for 7 years but it's not his fault.

So furious.

Straight Shooter
To be fair they were tearing shreds off us only weeks ago. The broncos have a better team, better facilities and are going worse than us. Make no mistake if go on another losing streak which is more than possible with our upcoming games and the Broncs win 2-3 they will be back on us.

BLM01

First Grade
What the club needs to do is sign up Fitzy now if that’s the way we are going to go and announce that they are not sacking the Mac but he will see out his contract. At least in this case players signing will know it’s only a year.
Fitzy wont want Mary anywhere near him if he took over us now (but he wont leave the Roosters anytime soon)
Nor would I have any role for him in the football dept

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Fitzy wont want Mary anywhere near him if he took over us now (but he wont leave the Roosters anytime soon)
Nor would I have any role for him in the football dept
I think you may have misunderstood me or I didn’t explain properly but what I mean is to sign him for 2022. But do it now and announce it now. It may help recruitment knowing what’s around the corner.

denis preston

First Grade
I think you may have misunderstood me or I didn’t explain properly but what I mean is to sign him for 2022. But do it now and announce it now. It may help recruitment knowing what’s around the corner.

With respect Forbes, that wont work, it is too far out. mcFail really needs to go immediately or worst case scenario , give him bugger all say and flick him the 1st january ( to save their beloved half Mill ) If he is still at the helm next season then the club will really need to be investigated. I think we really need to go hammer & tongs for Wane now as it appears Bennett & Fitsgibbon are out and Ryles for me would be a big risk.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
With respect Forbes, that wont work, it is too far out. mcFail really needs to go immediately or worst case scenario , give him bugger all say and flick him the 1st january ( to save their beloved half Mill ) If he is still at the helm next season then the club will really need to be investigated. I think we really need to go hammer & tongs for Wane now as it appears Bennett & Fitsgibbon are out and Ryles for me would be a big risk.
I do agree in a way but would love to weaken the Roosters a touch. One thing I do know is 2021 is a very important recruitment year and poor recruitment may effect what coach comes early. I’m all for Wane 100% but I just can’t see it happening. I think the fact Mary is finishing in 2021, and Fitzy is available after that and still lives in the region points heavily in that direction. If Mary was going to be sacked early it would have been done by now.

hazzbeen

Bench
OK forget everything , all of this , the situation we are in , all starts with the board .... It is bad now that the Gordon's Win have bought in , but you can't lay the blame entirely on that ..... The Club board have had no vision or ambition to do well after 2010 ..... At the moment we are a basket case , many factors have played a part to why we are in the mess we are , so to point the finger at the Win side of it is not this alone it stems back to Doust and the board back in 2010 .....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
OK forget everything , all of this , the situation we are in , all starts with the board .... It is bad now that the Gordon's Win have bought in , but you can't lay the blame entirely on that ..... The Club board have had no vision or ambition to do well after 2010 ..... At the moment we are a basket case , many factors have played a part to why we are in the mess we are , so to point the finger at the Win side of it is not this alone it stems back to Doust and the board back in 2010 .....
Yeah but the board is going nowhere, we all know that. It’s almost more of a waste of time talking about than Mary getting sacked early. Will be happy to eat humble pie but strongly doubt it.

possm

Coach
What the club needs to do is sign up Fitzy now if that’s the way we are going to go and announce that they are not sacking the Mac but he will see out his contract. At least in this case players signing will know it’s only a year.
That would be a desaster!

If we were going with Fitzy and I really hope we are not going with another rookie, then we should still sack Mary and sign up an interim coach until the end of 2022. Flanagan and Bennett will be available for the 2022 season.

Mary has to go NOW!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

If we were going with Fitzy and I really hope we are not going with another rookie, then we should still sack Mary and sign up an interim coach until the end of 2022. Flanagan and Bennett will be available for the 2022 season.

Mary has to go NOW!
Speaking of desasters wouldn’t mind Des.

getsmarty

Immortal

Mary has to go NOW!

Unfortunately, looks very unlikely ..............only hope is a few more big losses...and even then..I doubt it...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Unfortunately, looks very unlikely ..............only hope is a few more big losses...and even then..I doubt it...

The issue has always been about the money to pay the imposter out. So it's looking more likely he will survive 2020.

Even analysing our 2 wins and its not a picture of being on the redemption path.
Win 1: A scrappy win against the then out-of-form Sharks 30 - 16
Win 2: A win but was it really 20 - 6? Consider the Titans lost their fullback, a centre and a winger during the game. We scored 1 try after half time at the 46 min mark and didnt score again.

Last game against the Roosters, they lost 3 players (pattern developing here), didnt play 2 of their superstar players and didnt get out of 2nd gear.

The decision that has to be made is about Flannagan, imo.
If they think the imposter to see out his contract then Flanno is only signed to this year. Why opt for a rookie when we have an experienced coach already, and ,at this stage, able to coach again in 2022?

This to me is our biggest issue outside of sacking McGregor.

getsmarty

Immortal
The issue has always been about the money to pay the imposter out. So it's looking more likely he will survive 2020.

Even analysing our 2 wins and its not a picture of being on the redemption path.
Win 1: A scrappy win against the then out-of-form Sharks 30 - 16
Win 2: A win but was it really 20 - 6? Consider the Titans lost their fullback, a centre and a winger during the game. We scored 1 try after half time at the 46 min mark and didnt score again.

Last game against the Roosters, they lost 3 players (pattern developing here), didnt play 2 of their superstar players and didnt get out of 2nd gear.

The decision that has to be made is about Flannagan, imo.
If they think the imposter to see out his contract then Flanno is only signed to this year. Why opt for a rookie when we have an experienced coach already, and ,at this stage, able to coach again in 2022?

This to me is our biggest issue outside of sacking McGregor.

Correct Dragonslayer....BUT .. the club has the money...If you place no performance clause in the contract ( apart form the "Barrett" Clause ) then again the buck stops with the board.

They have painted themselves into a corner.....

matPORTS

Juniors
Gus Gould is quickly losing a lot of credibility.
Sure, I can understand his comments about junior development, creating pathways, having all coaching & management positions in the club accountable etc as after all some of where the Panthers are right now (in the sense that around 70-80% of their squad at the moment is homegrown talent) can be attributed to his influence and setting these areas on the correct path.
But we are also talking about the guy who had a hand in sacking two coaches in recent years, when those coaches had their teams performing at a reasonable level and making finals appearances (ironically one of those coaches he sacked is now back in the job he lost).
There will never be any comments by him about the "review" on our club because there was none, despite this process constantly being labeled by our spin doctors as some sort of "formality".

While I agree that our board has a hell of a lot to answer for, I am resigned to the fact that they are not going anywhere and that we probably need to just get over it. If there is any sort of "succession planning" going on within our entity, you can bet that each board member has a plan in place for whom their successors will be for the next 3-5 generations (forget about 3-5 year success plans, premiership windows & subsequent recruitment, retention + junior pathways programs to get us there). Yes, it stinks to high heaven!

Got to admit that I was concerned the moment that the Warriors sacked Kearney. This concern has grown even further now that Seibold is under massive pressure at the Broncos. Again, we are going to be left with uncertainty once the dominoes fall. McGregor should have been gone after the Bulldogs debacle three weeks ago (if not long before that).

Quite frankly, if the intent is for McGregor to see out his contract in its entirety, then the board should act now and say that we're not renewing beyond 2021. Not the most ideal outcome, but it brings some level of certainty back to the stakeholders that action is being taken. It may even force McGregor to walk early on his own accord (even if that ends up being six weeks or so into 2021).

P.S. If Fitzgibbon is (as being touted by the media) "the highest paid assistant in the game", then why would he leave the Roosters to go to a basket case like the Warriors or Dragons? Food for thought...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Gus Gould is quickly losing a lot of credibility.
Sure, I can understand his comments about junior development, creating pathways, having all coaching & management positions in the club accountable etc as after all some of where the Panthers are right now (in the sense that around 70-80% of their squad at the moment is homegrown talent) can be attributed to his influence and setting these areas on the correct path.
But we are also talking about the guy who had a hand in sacking two coaches in recent years, when those coaches had their teams performing at a reasonable level and making finals appearances (ironically one of those coaches he sacked is now back in the job he lost).
There will never be any comments by him about the "review" on our club because there was none, despite this process constantly being labeled by our spin doctors as some sort of "formality".

While I agree that our board has a hell of a lot to answer for, I am resigned to the fact that they are not going anywhere and that we probably need to just get over it. If there is any sort of "succession planning" going on within our entity, you can bet that each board member has a plan in place for whom their successors will be for the next 3-5 generations (forget about 3-5 year success plans, premiership windows & subsequent recruitment, retention + junior pathways programs to get us there). Yes, it stinks to high heaven!

Got to admit that I was concerned the moment that the Warriors sacked Kearney. This concern has grown even further now that Seibold is under massive pressure at the Broncos. Again, we are going to be left with uncertainty once the dominoes fall. McGregor should have been gone after the Bulldogs debacle three weeks ago (if not long before that).

Quite frankly, if the intent is for McGregor to see out his contract in its entirety, then the board should act now and say that we're not renewing beyond 2021. Not the most ideal outcome, but it brings some level of certainty back to the stakeholders that action is being taken. It may even force McGregor to walk early on his own accord (even if that ends up being six weeks or so into 2021).

P.S. If Fitzgibbon is (as being touted by the media) "the highest paid assistant in the game", then why would he leave the Roosters to go to a basket case like the Warriors or Dragons? Food for thought...
That’s basically the gist of what I was saying in regards to basically getting a coach locked in for 2022 and letting the Mac know that thanks for your service but we won’t be renewing. It will put an end to fans complaining as we already have a coach locked in and tie up one of the very few good coaches going around. I would sack Millward in 2021 and bring in a recruitment manager of that coaches choosing so the players selected will be with an eye to 2022.

possm

Coach
Speaking of desasters wouldn’t mind Des.
Yea, all on here that rubbished the idea of signing Hasler or Madge as head-coach must be amazed at how their teams are performing in 2020.

And yet the Saints are still wallowing outside the 8 with no expectations for improvement this year.

matPORTS

Juniors
Yea, all on here that rubbished the idea of signing Hasler or Madge as head-coach must be amazed at how their teams are performing in 2020.

And yet the Saints are still wallowing outside the 8 with no expectations for improvement this year.

If our entity was truly ambitious we would have targeted Madge or Des in the 2017/2018 off season.

Saw a blog post yesterday where several Broncos fans were asking why they went in hard for Seibold over Madge or Des, or even over keeping Bennett with a potential Demetriou succession plan.

Just listened to six tackles with Gus round 7 and he went on a massive spiel about not sacking coaches. Sounded to me like a lot of what he was saying was directed at our board. Basically he said that certain clubs had not developed their juniors properly and with the squad they have no coach will get them into the finals. He said with player managers the way they are it’s simply not possible to buy your way to a good squad as you will end up paying overs and leaving anything for the remainder of the squad. Long story short let’s promote some players and bite the bullet.
Everything is relative and Gould is talking through his rear end in our case.
7 years of rubbish coaching cannot be rationalized or explained away - even by Gould the "reviewer"

In all honesty bluebags, he should never have lasted this long...If he were at any other club, his performances would have demanded that he be gone years ago. That should tell you volumes.
He should never have been given the top job in the first place.
Not even a FG apprenticeship with any of the top coaches. 2 seasons as a mediocre reserve grade coach and 3 bush premierships which was what his supporters on the Board used to get him appointed.
Talk about a dud appointment that has haunted the fans for ages.
The 7 year itch has become septic and it's time to amputate!

Last edited:

Latest posts