What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks Ivan

Whino

Bench
The former Fox Sports News producer who abused Ivan Cleary last Saturday night – leading to the Penrith coach blowing him a kiss – has apologised to the Panthers. The man’s expletive-laden attack on Cleary – in front of his own son – was totally unacceptable. It’s remarkable that some have focused on Cleary’s cheeky response rather than the supporter’s awful language in front of his young son, and his behaviour towards Cleary.

https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/07/masked-panther-panthers-prove-a-winner-for-fox-sports/

Kilkenny

Coach
When I watched Ivan’s response live as it where it was obvious he had copped some ‘abuse’ of some description and was comfortable with his reaction. I didn’t see anything wrong with what he did and I thought it was great.

The reaction from some such as James Hooper etc has been stupid.

Our coaches and players are so sanitised in many respects and I thought it was refreshing in this instance to see Ivan give a little bit back. Good on him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Absolutely, and personally I find myself amused at them - but I also try to look at it objectively and how others might react. The people who aren't (yet) rusted onto the game, and how they might react.

For many, it could reinforce the whole 'lout' attitude, how we're a game for thugs and bullies etc.

So I get the 'outrage'. I understand it

People would have that attitude anyway. There are plenty of sports where coaches get out of hand.

Basketball actually gives the other team free throws or ejects the coach at times.

I see it as the sign of the times to complain these days

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What is offensive here? Ivan would of been fined if it was.

Tigers fans hate Ivan they would of found something

In the great scheme of things what Ivan did was very very mild. I like Gould's comment on 100% footy Monday night. he said 'normally you have to check Ivan's neck for a pulse'.

It was good fun. Good for the game too. This is what rugby league on. Neighbourhood rivilaries.

Kilkenny

Coach
Being offensive is in the eye of the beholder, so no, he wouldn't necessarily have been fined.

Methinks you protest too much.

Not sure what has been said by you beforehand but are you alluding to what Ivan did was offensive in any way?

MugaB

Coach
Being offensive is in the eye of the beholder, so no, he wouldn't necessarily have been fined.

Tigers fans would've been upset if Ivan didn't even acknowledge them, either way you can't win, no wonder he left

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not sure what has been said by you beforehand but are you alluding to what Ivan did was offensive in any way?
I'm saying that there are plenty out there who would've found it offensive, and pretending it wasn't offensive on any level or saying others aren't entitled to that view is bullshit.

And people holding such a view doesn't negate the Tigers' fans actions either, he's a douchebag.

franklin2323

Immortal

No not at all but Journos love to put the boot into RL... yet the only one that had an issue was a WT fan in Hooper.

That tells me all I need to know about it being offensive

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
I'm saying that there are plenty out there who would've found it offensive, and pretending it wasn't offensive on any level or saying others aren't entitled to that view is bullshit.

And people holding such a view doesn't negate the Tigers' fans actions either, he's a douchebag.

I’ve got no problem saying anyone who is offended by a blown kiss and a point at the scoreboard has probably got issues, there was nothing offensive about it at all.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If you choose to engage in 'banter' (however crude)

and are unwilling to cop some back either with mine (or words)

In my eyes you are little more than a sooky la la.

(gee what I've copped from family over the years at the footy)

Classic one, this year when Penrith were yet to hit their strapes (trailing 12-0) I left to go to the little girls room.

My older brother yelled out as I went down the stairs. 'Your not leaving already are you' ?

Trust me he and his daughter got it back in spades when Penrith won the game.

If you can't stand the heat of 'banter' don't engage. Moral of the story.

Latest posts