What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Renouf endures racial abuse throughout career at Brisbane

gerg

Juniors
You could say he got his own back, between 1991 and 1998 he averaged 17 tries a season which is ridiculous for a centre. Holds the record for most tries for the Broncos, holds the record for most tries in a game (4 tries, 5 times), most tries in a season (23, twice)

Rep'd QLD & Australia, named in the Indigenous team of the century. The best centre the Broncos have ever had.

Yeah, he really stuck it to those racist teammates of his by doing that.

some11

Referee
Yeah, he really stuck it to those racist teammates of his by doing that.
Mate they were gone by the time he became a star, do you think the term n****r Aboriginal darky would be used with wendell in the team when he started in '93? doubt it.

That being said some of the attitudes back then, contrasted with now is sad. The game has come a long way and we have so many great indigenous players that the NRL itself is fostering through its initiatives.

You just don't see the crap that went on with adam goodes in our game.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I also think race gets too much attention in sports. Maybe for the click bait or to stir up racial tension in the community.

My sporting experience was overwhelmingly fantastic. Anything negative I might have thought about white people or pacific islanders was instantly eradicated because I loved and the respected the hell out of my team mates, and I can say it was the same for them with me being seen as a man, and not an Aboriginal. Sports brought us together, even though a minority could try to ruin the fun and divide us all.

Media wankers on the far left and far right just want to sell papers, and their own personal brand, by keeping us hating each other and pointing the finger at each other.

Wow so well said mate. If only all of us would take the time to see through this divide and conquer carp that is being propagated on the West by powerful agitators like George Soros who fund all these racist and communist organisations like Black Lives Matter. Or the Hollywood lefty propaganda machine that never stops.

I mean I just watched Watchmen which has been just given a record 26 Emmy nominations and I am not surprised at all why it got all those nominations. It wasn't a bad show but it wasn't great either, but what it was was fuelled with white racism crap. More fuel on the fire stuff to keep the black man seeing himself as a victim, creating more hate within all our communities and further civil unrest. By giving it that many nominations they guaranteed it would get maximum exposure and do its job perfectly.

Cheers mate.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know which players in 1988 made these comments.
Exactly what I was thinking , probably can’t say though without someone coming forward to verify .... as another poster said “ he turned out to be an amazing player so that would have showed them “ but what about the other indigenous players who surely came through the system and never reached the heights he did .
They would have copped the same bullshit and that is terrible .... jeez some people are f**king dead shits

Mate they were gone by the time he became a star, do you think the term n****r Aboriginal darky would be used with wendell in the team when he started in '93? doubt it.

That being said some of the attitudes back then, contrasted with now is sad. The game has come a long way and we have so many great indigenous players that the NRL itself is fostering through its initiatives.

You just don't see the crap that went on with adam goodes in our game.

I think the game is just a reflection of society in general, though. That racist shit was prevalent in the 80s. Even Howard had the gumption to stand in parliament and declare we had too many asians for example. Community standards have changed for the better. Players can’t get drunk and make dicks of themselves anymore, either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow so well said mate. If only all of us would take the time to see through this divide and conquer carp that is being propagated on the West by powerful agitators like George Soros who fund all these racist and communist organisations like Black Lives Matter. Or the Hollywood lefty propaganda machine that never stops.

I mean I just watched Watchmen which has been just given a record 26 Emmy nominations and I am not surprised at all why it got all those nominations. It wasn't a bad show but it wasn't great either, but what it was was fuelled with white racism crap. More fuel on the fire stuff to keep the black man seeing himself as a victim, creating more hate within all our communities and further civil unrest. By giving it that many nominations they guaranteed it would get maximum exposure and do its job perfectly.

Cheers mate.

racism exists today, maybe it’s more hidden but let’s not kid ourselves. Bringing it into the light is very much needed.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/indige...16d2-4af6-a103-40b90523cd3d?ocid=Social-NRLFS

Aragorn

First Grade

Not much cultural diversity back in the day

Easy for us to get up in arms about it now, but I reckon back in the day, it was an unconscious bias. not trying to defend this particular abbreviation though. Deadset racist.

casual racism is rife everywhere. People can be racist and not really even realise it

it all depends on the people’s view

gUt

Coach
Renouf (and anyone) has every right to talk about the hurt he experienced as a new player but I hardly see any point in wondering who the idiots were. They would have been raised in a culture where this sort of thing was considered ok, or light hearted banter. I’m sure if they were asked about it today they would be rightly ashamed. This is what I mean by consciousness raising.

It’s not like we’re the AFL where these attitudes openly persist and are still considered normal and even humorous and part of the game. From “one white parent” through to weekly crowd racial abuse all the way to top media and executives shooting their mouths off live on TV and radio, we have a lot to be proud about that our code has repudiated this shit for years.

blue bags

First Grade
Renouf (and anyone) has every right to talk about the hurt he experienced as a new player but I hardly see any point in wondering who the idiots were. They would have been raised in a culture where this sort of thing was considered ok, or light hearted banter. I’m sure if they were asked about it today they would be rightly ashamed. This is what I mean by consciousness raising.

It’s not like we’re the AFL where these attitudes openly persist and are still considered normal and even humorous and part of the game. From “one white parent” through to weekly crowd racial abuse all the way to top media and executives shooting their mouths off live on TV and radio, we have a lot to be proud about that our code has repudiated this shit for years.
thats right a few bad apples in 1 of the boxes wont spoil the cart,

TheRam

Coach
racism exists today, maybe it’s more hidden but let’s not kid ourselves. Bringing it into the light is very much needed.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/indige...16d2-4af6-a103-40b90523cd3d?ocid=Social-NRLFS

Didn't say it doesn't mate and it probably always will, but there is the right way to combat it and the wrong way. Movements like BLM and propaganda TV that just likes to sensationalise even the smallest issues or outright twist or lie to paint a racist epidemic that doesn't exist or constantly create shows or movies that tells stories of white man evil and black man victim will never help heal or remove racism from our societies. In fact one could argue that it only serves to increase racism from both sides.

Maybe you should watch and listen to someone like Jacinta Price. Maybe then some of those stats that Latrell is quoting there may reflect a better perspective of how and why.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
From the outside looking in it appears that in the AFL their racial issues are more prevalent in Melbourne (where there's not a big Aboriginal population) compared to Perth where the indigenous population is considerably higher. Sydney, Brisbane and regional NSW/ Qld have more Aboriginal people which equals more indigenous RL players at grassroots/ 1st grade level and so seeing indigenous players in the big time has never been seen as much of a big deal as in Melbourne. Clubs like St George Souths and the Cowboys have always had an especially strong indigenous element to them the same way the Bulldogs and Parramatta have had a lot of Lebanese players in their sides over the past 30 years.

Aragorn

First Grade
Didn't say it doesn't mate and it probably always will, but there is the right way to combat it and the wrong way. Movements like BLM and propaganda TV that just likes to sensationalise even the smallest issues or outright twist or lie to paint a racist epidemic that doesn't exist or constantly create shows or movies that tells stories of white man evil and black man victim will never help heal or remove racism from our societies. In fact one could argue that it only serves to increase racism from both sides.

Maybe you should watch and listen to someone like Jacinta Price. Maybe then some of those stats that Latrell is quoting there may reflect a better perspective of how and why.

Don’t get me started on that BLM nonsense..

Mr Spock!

Referee
I can't see anyone saying that to Smoking Joe. Gary French was another indigenous man in the squad.

nick87

Coach
I've been racially abused on the footy field and in classrooms (for being Aboriginal). There was a time I got all sad, emotional and distressed about it.

After a while, I learnt 'these b*stards know I am better'. From then on, the attitude was to be ruthless and ensure I won no matter what. Then after it, shake their hands, smile, and be classy. Because no matter what those b*stards say or do, they will never ever beat me.

I honestly wish more Indigenous sports men took some perspective in this: you are racially abused as a form of sledging. It is because the opposition knows it is the last thing they have over you to put you off your game. So read between the lines... the fact they are bringing up race means they are inadvertently acknowledging you are the superior player. So don't put the head down and cry nor throw punches... tear them apart on the field, and then rub it in by being respectful to them after you've humiliated them on the field.

Its genuinely great that you took a very negative situation and you had the mindset that was able to turn that into something different. That's really awesome and shows a ton of maturity and a mentality that i think we'd all wish more people had.

But also it needs to be said that should not have to be something you had to do. Experiencing racial abuse shouldn't be something you learn to over come on the sporting field or anywhere. It awful that there are still people experiencing racial abuse and having to learn to endure and overcome it.

Generalzod

Immortal
Is it any different to hearing you Mediterranean Descendant Dago bastard go back to your own country....but seriously how do you treat a legend of the game like that I’m glad their going shit karma baby..

Generalzod

Immortal
I've been racially abused on the footy field and in classrooms (for being Aboriginal). There was a time I got all sad, emotional and distressed about it.

After a while, I learnt 'these b*stards know I am better'. From then on, the attitude was to be ruthless and ensure I won no matter what. Then after it, shake their hands, smile, and be classy. Because no matter what those b*stards say or do, they will never ever beat me.

I honestly wish more Indigenous sports men took some perspective in this: you are racially abused as a form of sledging. It is because the opposition knows it is the last thing they have over you to put you off your game. So read between the lines... the fact they are bringing up race means they are inadvertently acknowledging you are the superior player. So don't put the head down and cry nor throw punches... tear them apart on the field, and then rub it in by being respectful to them after you've humiliated them on the field.
More power to you....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its sad that happened to Renouf especially from his own club.

Renouf not only is one of the best Indigenous centres Ive seen, he's one of the best centres overall Ive seen.

Ive always had huge respect for the Pearl, even off the field when you hear him speak about his career, he seems like a genuine good bloke and is well spoken.