What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

Old Timer

Coach
Oh, so you’re whining about coaching again.

I’m not talking about his coaching. I’m talking about how you believe a premiership winning Australian & NSW rep is “just above average” and could have been easily replaced.

There are plenty of players who achieve none of those three achievements.

But to achieve all of them makes you a good player.

And to achieve all of them whilst being a one club player with the RedV makes you pretty damn special.

But hey, don’t let that get in the way of another whinge.
FMD your comprehension is shot to bits.

My post was about the sense of entitlement because “ he bleeds red & white” and that he interviewed well and he is disappointed about not getting the job at 36 years of age after a golden pathway given to him after retiring due to injury.

He was never ever that good a player or a ciach for that matter to be afforded such opportunities.

In my opinion there are below average players, average players, great players and superstars of the game and Young doesn’t fit into either of the last 2 IMO.

If we had of had a Danny Buderus at hooker who in the back row would Dean Young gave pushed out?

SAP58

Juniors
Just read a quote from Young “The reason Cody has got the opportunity is because Mika is dropped, He’s not rested, he’s not injured. Ive spoken to Mika about his game, he needs to compete harder. Ive been in open conversation with him over the last three weeks and he hasn’t improved as much as I’d like so Cody has earned his right to take his spot”.
Great to see Cody getting his opportunity but why is Mika the only one singled out as not performing ? He has plenty of mates that are also not performing like Norman but they are selected every week. Shows Young has a long way to go before he can be a head coach IMO.

Dragsters

First Grade
Just read a quote from Young “The reason Cody has got the opportunity is because Mika is dropped, He’s not rested, he’s not injured. Ive spoken to Mika about his game, he needs to compete harder. Ive been in open conversation with him over the last three weeks and he hasn’t improved as much as I’d like so Cody has earned his right to take his spot”.
Great to see Cody getting his opportunity but why is Mika the only one singled out as not performing ? He has plenty of mates that are also not performing like Norman but they are selected every week. Shows Young has a long way to go before he can be a head coach IMO.

I'm happy for Young to stay on and learn from an outsider in Griffin and he may have a point here re Ravas effort at times, but this kind of stuff is straight from the McGregor school of thinking.

Drop rookies willy-nilly but keep selecting underperforming experienced players.

He needs to be braver than that (in both cases) to bring about real behavioural change...

I'm Hornby

Juniors

I'm dumb founded by that news. Mika has been one of our best and most consistent all season. You can see the improvements he has made in some of his deficiencies such as under the high ball and defence.

Surely the axe should fall on some of the other under performers in the team and not on someone who has worked hard all year.

Very harsh.

SAP58

Juniors
I'm dumb founded by that news. Mika has been one of our best and most consistent all season. You can see the improvements he has made in some of his deficiencies such as under the high ball and defence.

Surely the axe should fall on some of the other under performers in the team and not on someone who has worked hard all year.

Very harsh.
I agree, forgot to put the link to the story
https://apple.news/AYsHWBj-SRTa-z5BiM-8ssg

Mjab

Juniors
He shouldn't have to decide whether he stays or goes, the decision should be made for him if we are serious about real change. I can't see anything positive coming from him working under the guy who knocked him out of the race for the top job.
Young has worked under the biggest whiteanter and delusional clown we have seen in a long time and if just a smidgen of that has rubbed off on him, Griffin could be on a hiding to nothing before he even gets his feet under the desk......particularly if junior tag teams with daddy in order to orchestrate the family dream.
We've had enough of this sort of shit, we just don't need any more, cut the apron strings now and send him on his way and lets get f**king serious about fixing 10 years of absolute puss.
Well said

Mjab

Juniors
And what about EA underperforming for years

possm

Coach

My post was about the sense of entitlement because “ he bleeds red & white” and that he interviewed well and he is disappointed about not getting the job at 36 years of age after a golden pathway given to him after retiring due to injury.

He was never ever that good a player or a ciach for that matter to be afforded such opportunities.

In my opinion there are below average players, average players, great players and superstars of the game and Young doesn’t fit into either of the last 2 IMO.

If we had of had a Danny Buderus at hooker who in the back row would Dean Young gave pushed out?
I have always believed that the head coach should pick his staff within the budget handed to him by the CM Football. There should be no pressure or influence played upon him by the Board.

Griffin seems an accommodating guy and probably is just being nice offering Young to stay on however, after seeing the interim coach operate over the past few games against the bottom dwelling teams, I'd rather just go to the staff he trusts and has confidence in.

It is Griffin's head on the chopping block and so he should go about his duties without interference.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Again, what the?

I’ve never mentioned anything about believing him to be entitled.

That was you.

You’re doing that thing where you’re imagining other people’s positions for them.

Young is a great player who forged his own place the team & club history.

Simple as that.

possm

Coach
Again, what the?

That was you.

You’re doing that thing where you’re imagining other people’s positions for them.

Simple as that.
I'd say Dean Young was a good player who's father did deals to secure him the assistant coaches job. He claims to be an Illawarra junior.

Talk about a lop-sided deal, we had Mary, Young, Millward and Chairman Gordon all hailing from the Illawarra just so that Craig Young and Doust could take their place as Board members.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Again, what the?

That was you.

Simple as that.

I didn't realise you were president of the Dean Young fan club but judging by your posts I now do!

Honestly mate, he played 1 game for NSW and 1 game for Australia. He was a solid player at best but hardly a great one. McInnes 10 years later is twice the player Young was whilst doing the same type of role in the team.

I like the patriotism but we need to call a spade a spade and referring to him as a 'great' is a huge compliment for Deano.

Mjab

Juniors
An above average player at best

prob lucky to get the 1 game SOO and Australia but good luck to him re that

worse players have played at that level

a great loyal warrior for the club and part of a premiership winning team

Prob a good bloke

done nothing to show He should be 1 st grade coach and done nothing to boast about in coaching ranks

just because someone wants to be a high level coach doesn’t mean they have the skill set or ability to do so

he , like others need to prove themselves

if he was smart he would go elsewhere and learn his trade

we need a fresher start as possible with the least dead wood from a terrible decade for the club

happy for him to comeback As a winning and accomplished coach

if Albert wasn’t his dad it’s unlikely he would be coaching at the club IMO, nepotism is just part of life

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I didn't realise you were president of the Dean Young fan club but judging by your posts I now do!
No, I just don’t get why “supporters” feel the need to bag players who have given their all when wearing the red v & achieved everything in the game.

It’s honestly baffling.

Regardless if it was one game for Australia or one hundred, he made the honour of representing at the highest level.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'd say Dean Young was a good player who's father did deals to secure him the assistant coaches job. He claims to be an Illawarra junior.

Talk about a lop-sided deal, we had Mary, Young, Millward and Chairman Gordon all hailing from the Illawarra just so that Craig Young and Doust could take their place as Board members.
You do realise Doust is St George, yeah?

Tuddy

Juniors
Taking Dean Young out of the equation all together... I would be happy if a Dragons old boy never coaches our team again.

It’s not like it’s worked in the past.

Dean, go coach the Roosters or the Storm if you want to make me happy.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Taking Dean Young out of the equation all together... I would be happy if a Dragons old boy never coaches our team again.

It’s not like it’s worked in the past.

Dean, go coach the Roosters or the Storm if you want to make me happy.

Exactly, get some experience under a successful club so you can reinvent the wheel and buck the old boy crap coach trend if you ever choose to come back to us.

St Georgio

Juniors
Most of all the Greatest coaches were average players, BTW on Triple M Brent Reed mentioned DY was in hot demand as an assistant, particularly the Tigers were interested.
Personally I would be happy to keep him on at the Dragons..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Most of all the Greatest coaches were average players, BTW on Triple M Brent Reed mentioned DY was in hot demand as an assistant, particularly the Tigers were interested.
Personally I would be happy to keep him on at the Dragons..
I like the way he talks and comes across, he just needs more experience, would be happy if a succession plan was put in place for him to take over post Hook.