What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

Melbourne draw ratings higher than most clubs, to say Perth wont rate is nonsense and impossible to call.

SKyNZ pay $20mill a year for TV rights and have done since forever, I doubt their is any appetite for them to pay more regardless of how many NZ teams there are as if you are a RL fan in NZ the only way you can watch NRL is by subscribing and so they arent generating new subscribers.

6pm AEST is a rating well for PTV and should be the permeant new slot for the ninth game. What Perth gives is the opportunity to have an afternoon game played in front of a big crowd once a fortnight in that slot. The away fortnights will be an East Coast team playing at 6pm AEST.

Ch9 havent demanded a second Brisbane club in the last deal in which they paid a massive increase on their previous deal. Wouldnt you think if it was that valuable part of their offer for $185milla year would have been an insistence on another Brisbane club???

The only advantage I can see to a second NZ team from a TV point of view is that every Friday 6pm game could be in NZ but as the Warriors are already kicking up a fuss about that I dont suppose the new club would be very happy either.

Dont worry about crowds, we got this.

View attachment 42179
I think you know just as well as I know that Melbourne's ratings in Melbourne are relatively poor. The_Wookie said the Storm ave 17k on 9gem and 11k watch when Storm aren't playing. Where the Storm do rate well is Brisbane and to a lesser extent Sydney. The reason for that is their onfield success tied in with their connection to Queensland immortals such as Smith, Cronk, Slater, Folau and the adopted Queenslander Inglis. Perth isn't going to have this sort of connection with Brisbane as they will be based in the NSW Cup and there aren't any great Queenslanders coming through the ranks to pump them up.

Perth has drawn some solid crowds at Perth Oval that some of the smaller teams on the east coast would love, but there have also been some fizzers, especially in 3 or the last 4 games played at Perth Oval.

I know you want the Pirates, but surely you can see that getting the Tigers to become the Western Tigers, six games a year at Perth Oval against non-Sydney clubs, 6 at Campbelltown/Parramatta against Sydney clubs, would be more profitable and less risky, with more commercial options available to make make the club a stronghold. A Tigers team that finishes in the top 8 every year, vs a Pirates team that will probably struggle to make the 8, would surely appeal more to Western Australians and draw larger crowds and gain more media coverage.

Give the Perth consortium 50% ownership of the Tigers and it is just as much a Perth team as it is a Sydney one.

That's just my opinion. My fear is Perth will never get all 16 clubs, the QRL and NSWRL to vote for the Pirates' admission, so time to think out of the box and convince one club that it's in their best interest to put its eggs in 2 baskets and reap the financial dividends.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Redcliffe look like the Manly of Brisbane. Do we really want another Manly?

Not close, Fremantle were deliberately set up as a new stand alone club with no ownership or links to existing WAFL clubs so as not to polarise supporter bases. It would be more akin to a brand new Brisbane club but named after a area of Brisbane, Say North Brisbane somethings.
Pirates like Western Reds do we really want another them?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Hello Dane, been a while..

PA had a huge fan base before going into the AFL - loads who supported them, and loads who hated them. And it has worked well for them. It's not alienated anyone - it's brought rivalry immediately to the table and sustained it - not an ambivalent, beige start for a team that people don't know whether to follow, hate or otherwise. I don't know the ins n outs of Redcliffe in a similar vain thus asking locals/Qlders who know more than I.
Thousands of people that supported other SAFL clubs instantly turned away from the club when it was announced that it was Port Adelaide, you can pretend that isn't the case if you like, like a lot of Port Adelaide fans like too, but it is.

If you like we can talk about another example that I have way more intimate knowledge about, the Tuggeranong/Canberra Vikings-
https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/26/canberras-nrc-team-will-be-a-red-and-white-failure/

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ies-jersey-20151201-glcg7u.html#ixzz3t8jfgF00

By the way the Vikings have attempted this 3 times now, and it's always had the same result...

Desert Qlder

First Grade
As someone with no involvement or attachment to a new brisbane team - even though I'm all for one to become a 17th side in the NRL - I like the idea of Redcliffe as opposed to a brand new brisbane team like firehawks etc

And apologies for using an AFL comparison here (outrageous!) - but I'd suggest this would be akin to Port Adelaide coming in with a huge existing fan base - but also a huge fan base that hate them all ready made. It's worked well here in Adelaide for them.

So my question is to those far more knowledgeable than I on Qld Rugby League - is there a big fan base existing for Redcliffe - ie how would they rank in terms of support against other clubs their comp - and secondly, would they have a historic and significant "hatred factor" of any kind?

Port Adelaide have consistently been one of the strugglers in the AFL since their inception. They are not a model to emulate.

Redcliffe should be immediately dismissed by the NRL as a potential bid and be told to not waste their time and effort.

WHY KANE CORNES IS CONCERNED ABOUT THE FUTURE OF PORT ADELAIDE

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes admits he’s “worried" about the future of his former club.

The Power battled back from a decline in crowds and revenue in 2011 to become an off-field force in the AFL but due to the coronavirus pandemic, all that good work could be undone.

Cornes recounted a story from his playing days where he thought Port Adelaide were on the verge of folding.

“My football club was in a perilous position in 2011,” he said on AFL Nation.

“One day we got an all staff email in our holidays saying that everyone was required down to the football club and I thought that was it. I thought they couldn’t pay us anymore, no one was turning up to our games, the coach had been paid out and the club’s financial position was on a knife’s edge.

“I’m really worried about my footy club because I’ve lived it, they are one of the struggling clubs who relied on AFL funding to keep them alive. Now there’s not that AFL funding – will the Port Adelaide footy club be around? It’s not that obvious of a question in two or three years and that’s what scared me a bit.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/03...-concerned-about-the-future-of-port-adelaide/

T-Boon

Coach
THe Dolphins is a good name but it cant be Redcliffe Dolphins as has been pointed out Redcliffe is barely a suburb (population about 10k), that's as small as Penrith or Manly.

Mate I'm with you, Adelaide bias of course. But despite consistent mentioning of this that you've (rightly) made here on LU, my experience is people in NSW/Qld/ACT don't get it, see it, or want to see it.

Same goes for Adelaide - the last 3 Storm Roosters games have Drawn between 16k & 21k at the Adelaide Oval. For a city with no team for over 20 years, a small, next to insignificant local rugby league competition, and at an "unfriendly" stadium for rectangular sport. Crowds would never be an issue in Perth or Adelaide. I couldn't be more confident of that.

Ratings for each of these cities would increase the overall eyeballs on screens significantly more than a CC or CQld team - with a far smaller population base, of whom I'd suggest are already watching league on TV - ie already in the existing eyeball pool.

The Storm are a great case study in how a successful expansion team should work. They are successful on the field, and off it. And sustained over a long period of time. Structuring an expansion team in WA or SA on their models would prove to to be an outstanding success IMO.
The Storm were pieced together with the freshly rotting remains of the Perth Reds, South Queensland Crushers and Hunter Mariners. They bought the best players from these three teams and had News Ltd as their sugar daddy until 2012. News Ltd had a 50% stake in the game, so they could, theoretically, set the agenda to suit their team. Over $100 million was spent on the Storm by News Ltd and the ARLC between 1998 and 2018 to ensure they had the resources required to identify the best talent in Queensland, NSW, NZ, Fiji and PNG, then bring them up to grade. It's no coincidence that the club has such a good strike rate with introducing juniors into first grade and turning them into stars. The players need to have the talent and the right coaches to make that transition.

Perth and Adelaide will have none of these advantages. News Ltd are no longer in control and don't have the money or desire to invest in these cities. The way the game has been run over the last 20 years has led to fewer playmakers who can organise their backline or read the situation and adjust accordingly coming through the ranks, so no Smiths or Cronks floating around in Queensland for Perth and Adelaide.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, just pointing out that the unique situation that allowed Storm to rise to the top will not present itself for Adelaide and Perth. The best bet for both cities is to saddle up with a couple of Sydney teams that have strong junior nurseries and slowly build a fanbase in Adelaide and Perth to compliment what they have in Sydney. Over time they will become two of the stronger clubs in the competition and can shift more of their games to Adelaide and Perth. Keeping these teams based in Sydney will save them a lot of money, especially for their lower grade teams. It will make the clubs more attractive options for players who are already based in Sydney.

Last edited:
Port Adelaide have consistently been one of the strugglers in the AFL since their inception. They are not a model to emulate.

Redcliffe should be immediately dismissed by the NRL as a potential bid and be told to not waste their time and effort.

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes admits he’s “worried" about the future of his former club.

The Power battled back from a decline in crowds and revenue in 2011 to become an off-field force in the AFL but due to the coronavirus pandemic, all that good work could be undone.

Cornes recounted a story from his playing days where he thought Port Adelaide were on the verge of folding.

“One day we got an all staff email in our holidays saying that everyone was required down to the football club and I thought that was it. I thought they couldn’t pay us anymore, no one was turning up to our games, the coach had been paid out and the club’s financial position was on a knife’s edge.

“I’m really worried about my footy club because I’ve lived it, they are one of the struggling clubs who relied on AFL funding to keep them alive. Now there’s not that AFL funding – will the Port Adelaide footy club be around? It’s not that obvious of a question in two or three years and that’s what scared me a bit.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/03...-concerned-about-the-future-of-port-adelaide/
The Brisbane Lions were in debt to the tune of $14 million in 2014. Things aren't as rosy in fumbleball land as the cheerleaders for that game would have us believe.

T-Boon

Coach
The Storm were pieced together with the freshly rotting remains of the Perth Reds, South Queensland Crushers and Hunter Mariners. They bought the best players from these three teams and had News Ltd as their sugar daddy until 2012. News Ltd had a 50% stake in the game, so they could, theoretically, set the agenda to suit their team. Over $100 million was spent on the Storm by News Ltd and the ARLC between 1998 and 2018 to ensure they had the resources required to identify the best talent in Queensland, NSW, NZ, Fiji and PNG, then bring them up to grade. It's no coincidence that the club has such a good strike rate with introducing juniors into first grade and turning them into stars. The players need to have the talent and the right coaches to make that transition.

Perth and Adelaide will have none of these advantages. News Ltd are no longer in control and don't have the money or desire to invest in these cities. The way the game has been run over the last 20 years has led to fewer playmakers who can organise their backline or read the situation and adjust accordingly coming through the ranks, so no Smiths or Cronks floating around in Queensland for Perth and Adelaide.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, just pointing out that the unique situation that allowed Storm to rise to the top will not present itself for Adelaide and Perth. The best bet for both cities is to saddle up with a couple of Sydney teams that have strong junior nurseries and slowly build a fanbase in Adelaide and Perth to compliment what they have in Sydney. Over time they will become two of the stronger clubs in the competition and can shift more of their games to Adelaide and Perth. Keeping these teams based in Sydney will save them a lot of money, especially for their lower grade teams. It will make the clubs more attractive options for players who are already based in Sydney.

Good words

mongoose

Coach

No Melbourne presence, no billion dollar TV deal. If you want a sydney and brisbane suburban only comp then expect all those top line players to flock to Union in droves because the game wont have the money to pay them what they want.

No Melbourne presence, no billion dollar TV deal. If you want a sydney and brisbane suburban only comp then expect all those top line players to flock to Union in droves because the game wont have the money to pay them what they want.
Ratings in Melbourne for major games had grown steadily since Origin was taken there in 1991. That's where Melbourne's value is. Regular season games don't rate down there and most people watching the Storm are from QLD and NSW. Storm ave 150k in Brisbane on Ch9. The Ch9 Bris ave for games not involving Melbourne or Queensland teams is 100k. Melb Storm on 9Gem Melb ave around 17k according to The_Wookie. Take away the extra 50k from Bris that tune in to watch the Storm, which could happen if the team slides down the ladder and has fewer players from Queensland in its squad, and they go from being the 2nd most watched team to the bottom 4.

Bris 2, and eventually Bris 3, are insurance for the game when the Storm's golden run comes to an end. NZ2 and NZ3 can become just as valuable in the long run.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Imagine how much further we would be behind AFL if we took out 450k Melbourne FTA viewings and a lot more PTV a season! Not mention the large origin and GF audiences.

Why Melbourne are worth a great deal to the NRL TV contract

Round 1s Melbourne v Brisbane was the highest rating game on the Nine network with 849,000 watching nationally.

4/5 highest PTV audiences featured Storm
Round 17s Melbourne v Cronulla was the highest rating game on Foxtel with 357,000 viewers. Filling in the top 5 was Sth Sydney v Melbourne (R21), Melbourne v Brisbane (R1), Melbourne v Parramatta (R9) and Brisbane v Cronulla (R7).

Melbourne second highest watched club on FTA and Foxtel in 2019

http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=4923

Last edited:
Imagine how much further we would be behind AFL if we took out 450k Melbourne FTA viewings and a lot more PTV a season! Not mention the large origin and GF audiences.

Round 1s Melbourne v Brisbane was the highest rating game on the Nine network with 849,000 watching nationally.

Round 17s Melbourne v Cronulla was the highest rating game on Foxtel with 357,000 viewers. Filling in the top 5 was Sth Sydney v Melbourne (R21), Melbourne v Brisbane (R1), Melbourne v Parramatta (R9) and Brisbane v Cronulla (R7).

I agree with what you're saying here.

It would probably be a good idea to make the GF a best of 3 series to capitalise on these ratings in Australia's 3 largest cities. Imagine getting these ratings for not 1 GF, but 2 or 3 if there's a decider!

QLD Gov wants a GF. NRL signed a deal keeping it in NSW. If there's nothing in the deal stopping the ARLC from selling a 2nd GF to the QLD gov then they should do it. The money from QLD gov and the increased value of having 2-3 games played over successive weekends would fund expansion.

A 3rd GF would be played in Sydney.

If WA gov offer more than QLD gov for hosting rights them let them have it at Perth Stadium.

Pippen94

First Grade
THe Dolphins is a good name but it cant be Redcliffe Dolphins as has been pointed out Redcliffe is barely a suburb (population about 10k), that's as small as Penrith or Manly.
Dolphins will represent Morgan Bay area of about 500k ppl

Pippen94

First Grade

Dolphins more like Fremantle representing distinct geographic area & further its growing greatly in size.
Port Adelaide for all its trouble out perform Melbourne City & crushers which are examples of what ppl here want.

Pippen94

First Grade

Melbourne did more to increase interest in Qld - that's where ratings boast came. You should be campaigning for more Qld teams

Pippen94

First Grade
Storm don't rate in Melbourne. No teams in Perth or Adelaide. There is no evidence you can present to suggest Storm had any impact on broadcast deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm don't rate in Melbourne. No teams in Perth or Adelaide. There is no evidence you can present to suggest Storm had any impact on broadcast deal.

No one cares if they dont rate in Melbourne, THEY ARE THE SECOND MOST WATCHED TEAM IN THE NRL lol.
If you dont think the second most viewed team aren't valuable in the TV contract then there's nothing we can help you with.

If you bury a sport on digital channel I dont care what city your in or what sport it is it will rate sht. Need proof of the impact of digital v main channel?

Prelim final Saturday night on main channel. Audience in Melbourne 210k
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...fl-grand-final-flounders-20190929-p52vyd.html

Friday 5th June on main channel on Fri night, Melbourne audience 96k. Bigger than some FTA NRL games in Brisbane this year.
https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/06/friday-5-june-2020.html

Worth a read
https://pythagonrl.com/2020/04/06/e...-about-nrl-tv-ratings-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

Last edited: