What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wk2 Finals: Parra v Souths GAME DAY thread (10/10/20)

Joely01

Bench
Sorry mate but Drown was horrible tonight, and hasn’t offered much in the way of game management or playmaking all year. He’s a strong runner of the ball and a strong defender. He’s not a half IMO.

FFS he is a 20 year old half, where his first two years in grade have been stop and start from two injuries!
All his mistakes tonight were once we were chasing points!
He isn’t the half that is supposed to steer the ship around, he is suppose to be the runner (which everyone is saying he is good at) and strong edge defender (again what he is good at)
Both attributes most young halves coming into grade are extremely vulnerable in!

Happy MEel

First Grade
Fk me, he’s lucky to be on the paddock. I don’t think some of you understand that these blokes aren’t at 100% every weekend. (not aimed directly at you Happy).
I have no doubt he’s playing injured and am
Pretty sure he was (legally) pain killered up. I just haven’t seen anything to suggest he is an exceptional half. To be honest, he seems similar to Salmon but with a better defensive game.

Yea which is why his time needs to be limited. A couple of short bursts. He doesn’t have the strength, stamina or smarts to play 80
Maybe not but you were going off about him making 3 mistakes from 4 runs before that. And fair enough maybe but how would short stints help given that?

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm prepared to give Drown and Mahoney 50 more games before I expect them to even provide anything. They're still really just rookies.

IFR33K

Coach
If moved on id rather Salmon or W.Smith. and then have 700k to spend on some better players elsewhere.
Matterson is strong but more a lock. He is not potent enough for mine.

Haven't had good line breaking 2md rowers since Kem Edwards and Manu Mau

We overrate our players so much.

Matto is decent imo but how often does he break the line.

Dbrown can defend and is quick. Is he a half, I don’t know.

lane is average.

Noise

Coach
Fair points.

But quite a few times tonight, I saw Brown call for the ball, and the ball went to Moses; I think that team thinks that it's Moses' team, and Brown should take a back seat.

Brown was still a better half than Moses tonight.
If you take last tackle kicks out of the equation Brown got the ball a lot more than Moses tonight.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
He’s miles better than Salmon. We need to stop thinking he’s the next Brett Kenny and be happy he’s going to be the first Dylan Brown. Just my take on it. The kid is defensively superb and has loads of potential. He’s going to improve mate.

hindy111

Post Whore
Fans will always overate their own players.

Gutherson and Jnr are special for this team. N.Brown and Matto are good players also.
Everyone else in this side in my opinion is dispensable. That isn't saying they are bad players. But every week our best 5 on paddock involve these 3 or 4.
The rest are all hot and cold.

Mahoney has had good moments and is young. But next season will be time to put it all together and go up a level. He isn't anywhere near your Korisau,Cooks or C.Smiths.....Irony is those 3 are in last 4.

Happy MEel

First Grade
FFS he is a 20 year old half, where his first two years in grade have been stop and start from two injuries!
All his mistakes tonight were once we were chasing points!
He isn’t the half that is supposed to steer the ship around, he is suppose to be the runner (which everyone is saying he is good at) and strong edge defender (again what he is good at)
Both attributes most young halves coming into grade are extremely vulnerable in!
His first kick ended in a 7 tackle set after he had an enormous amount of time to set and work out where to kick it.

What you have described is essentially an edge forward’s role. Run hard into space and defend. You need more from your half, no matter how old he is, especially when we’re paying him upward of $500k.

Noise

Coach
Maybe not but you were going off about him making 3 mistakes from 4 runs before that. And fair enough maybe but how would short stints help given that?
Because he would make less touches overall. And he’d be required to make less tackles. And he would come off the bench when the initial sting is out of the game. And he could concentrate in short bursts, which is all he is capable of.

Happy MEel

First Grade

Gutherson and Jnr are special for this team. N.Brown and Matto are good players also.
Everyone else in this side in my opinion is dispensable. That isn't saying they are bad players. But every week our best 5 on paddock involve these 3 or 4.

Mahoney has had good moments and is young. But next season will be time to put it all together and go up a level. He isn't anywhere near your Korisau,Cooks or C.Smiths.....Irony is those 3 are in last 4.
Spot on mate. Gutho, Junior, Matto and Nrown Are the only must keep players that we should build around.

Joely01

Bench

Gotta give you some credit mate, normally you’re just taking the piss all the time. But you do know your footy!
I like your serious posts haha

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
His biggest problem he doesn’t know when to run and when to pass. He’s just 20 but after 2 years you’d think he’s start to improve in that department and once again I have to ask is he getting the quality coaching he needs. At a Melbourne or Roosters his game would be miles ahead of where he is now. Mahoney also I doubt is getting the very best coaching that can take his game to the next level.

If he was at Melbourne / roosters he wouId still be in NSW cup, when was the last time those clubs had a rookie 20 year old as a regular half starter ??

BTW Drown has 32 game (20 years old) Mahoney 55 games (22 years old) ...,,they are going ok

And you want us to sign a rookie in Burton to replace Moses ..,.,,FFS you don’t even give our rookie spine players a chance to develop.....

Noise

Coach
Also what was our left edge doing when Moses missed the penalty goal? The ball rebounded 20m back to our left edge and they were asleep. Moses should have kicked it but the fact our left edge were asleep and didn’t get to the ball sums up the general attitude of the team.

Wally21

Bench
Moses is a far superior kicker to Jacks. He was Dally M halfback last year ffs. He hasn't forgotten how to play.
No, but he has forgotten how to lick anything but a high bomb directly down the throat of an opposition player. Kicking game in attack was atrocious. Not 1 repeat set

Joely01

Bench
His first kick ended in a 7 tackle set after he had an enormous amount of time to set and work out where to kick it.

What you have described is essentially an edge forward’s role. Run hard into space and defend. You need more from your half, no matter how old he is, especially when we’re paying him upward of $500k.

Goodness me, his kick was half a meter (probably less) off being perfect... name me a half that doesn’t have the odd bad kick in him? The souths halves put a kick out on the full tonight!

No how he is starting is how all young halves need to play when they come into grade... listen to the best in the game, the Fittlers, Johns brothers, Cronk...
They all say the same thing, a young half needs to think run before pass, then hold his own in D

Chipmunk

Coach
If he was at Melbourne / roosters he wouId still be in NSW cup, when was the last time those clubs had a rookie 20 year old as a regular half starter ??

BTW Drown has 32 game (20 years old) Mahoney 55 games (22 years old) ...,,they are going ok

And you want us to sign a rookie in Burton to replace Moses ..,.,,FFS you don’t even give our rookie spine players a chance to develop.....

Brodie Croft, Jackson Hastings spring to mind.

Flanagan was 21

But those clubs can experiment with a rookie with the rest of their squads

Latest posts