What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wk2 Finals: Parra v Souths GAME DAY thread (10/10/20)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
lol he wouldn’t be playing ahead of Flanagan???? Hughes is a fullback you really think if they had Brown in their system he wouldn’t be ready to play first grade and offer more than those two??

he’s already a better defender than both of them.

They have quality systems with quality coaching where junior players thrive and are ready to play when they are picked. Instead we have Bea Arthur, David Derpwell and Spoons Murphy.

Talk about Comparing Rolled gold chocolate to boiled lollies.

So you are saying Drown is better then Hughes / Flanagan? But BA is making him play poorly ?

Avenger

Immortal
My take for what it’s worth after having the drive home from the game to calm down...
- our bench was our biggest issue. They could bring on Knight and Nichols, we bring on Evans and Davey. I’d pick their bench every time
- Cook should have been sin binned
- Moses attacking kicking game was non-existant. And he is a massive flog
- Blake was better in defence tonight but he is such a dumb player. He had the chance to tackle Johnston in goal to force a restart when we were still 4 in front and he just ran past him.
- Dunster was way better than I expected
- junior Paulo is an absolute superstar
- Gutho has the heart of a lion to Moses pea heart.

Moses playing his 150th game, yet he is no game manager and is a manufactured halfback with no vision. f**k he is annoying me as much as that f**kwit, Corey Norman.

Can't stand Waqa Blake. Just a boneheaded pea heart footballer.

So glad I never have to see Kane Evans in our jersey again.

Shaun Lane is a bench player at best and should never start, ever again.

Gutherson, Paulo and RCG have been great all season. I think Nathan Brown is injured and Dylan is obviously still not 100%, he is however a little overrated.

Wally21

Bench
On Moses - When DBrown took the ball we looked great in attack. Moses should go to 5/8
I don’t know about that Mate. But something has definitely gone wrong with Moses this year. Perhaps he is still carrying the calf. But he just rubs me the wrong way.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If he was at Melbourne / roosters he wouId still be in NSW cup, when was the last time those clubs had a rookie 20 year old as a regular half starter ??

BTW Drown has 32 game (20 years old) Mahoney 55 games (22 years old) ...,,they are going ok

And you want us to sign a rookie in Burton to replace Moses ..,.,,FFS you don’t even give our rookie spine players a chance to develop.....
What the in the name of Benji Marshall’s pube are you on about anyway?? Not giving halves time to develop??? My point has been the both of them Brown and Mahoney aren’t getting the quality coaching they need to get their game to the next level. Mahoney looks to be getting all the footy coached out of him. We all know Bea loves a tackling bag at nine that leads the line speed. If Degois didn’t get medically retired he would still be our nine and Mahoney would be elsewhere. Bea would be wheeling him out till he was 50. He actually thought Prichard was a first grade standard rake. Lol

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So you are saying Drown is better then Hughes / Flanagan? But BA is making him play poorly ?
Did you watch Flanagan last night??? He was beyond shitful and Hughes is a manufactured 7 that is being carried by a gun 6 and the greatest dummy half the game has seen.

Brown is a massive talent, but he still doesn’t know when to pass and when to run. I know he’s just 20 but my point was I doubt he has anyone at the club who is capable of helping him to get to the next Level. Johns could be that bloke maybe , Mahoney looks like he has had all the footy coached out if him. You keep waving your BA Pom Poms but we finished 3rd besides the muppets coaching the side as fair as I’m concerned.

Bench selections were horrible and his use of the bench in a big game were worse. Don’t worry he’s only in his 7th year he still has plenty to learn we just need some stability.....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Did you watch Flanagan last night??? He was beyond shitful and Hughes is a manufactured 7 that is being carried by a gun 6 and the greatest dummy half the game has seen.

Brown is a massive talent, but he still doesn’t know when to pass and when to run. I know he’s just 20 but my point was I doubt he has anyone at the club who is capable of helping him to get to the next Level. Johns could be that bloke maybe , Mahoney looks like he has had all the footy coached out if him. You keep waving your BA Pom Poms but we finished 3rd besides the muppets coaching the side as fair as I’m concerned.

Bench selections were horrible and his use of the bench in a big game were worse. Don’t worry he’s only in his 7th year he still has plenty to learn we just need some stability.....

so if Flanagan was beyond shitful last night, then how does it work that the Roosters offer better half coaching then eels ??

makes no sense....

and if Hughes is being carried, why wouldn’t the Storms better halves coaching help? Makes no sense ...

Avenger

Immortal
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/so...l-lesson-in-finals-footy-20201010-p563wj.html

This was a game with momentum shifts aplenty. There was none bigger than when Mitchell Moses attempted a regulation kick at goal, the sort he would normally slot with his eyes closed. When it hit the post and then fell into South Sydney hands, Parramatta couldn’t turn the tide one last time.

“If you’re going to wear the No.7, you can’t miss those moments,” said Moses’ halves coach, Andrew Johns, in commentary for Nine.

It is such moments that Johns, Arthur and Moses will seek to eradicate as the club’s premiership drought stretches into a 35th season.

f**k off Johns. Our halves have gone backwards.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
so if Flanagan was beyond shitful last night, then how does it work that the Roosters offer better half coaching then eels ??

makes no sense....

and if Hughes is being carried, why wouldn’t the Storms better halves coaching help? Makes no sense ...
Hughes has been manufactured into a half, just like Cronk was. He is doing a job but he's not a natural half but it doesn't matter in their system, Flanagan has had a decent season and been offered every chance. He gets to play along side cleary and working with Cronk but last night shit the bed. At least he tried unlike our 800k half who kicked bombs and did little else. If Sam Walker is ready by round 1 next season he wlll be moved on quicker than you can say Biden blows goats. It's what a ruthless club does while we would give him 10 weeks to find his best while Walker would be signed by someone else.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
My biggest problem with Moses he didn't ice a kick into the in goal with no pressure which lead to a try and not once did he try for the sideline when we were losing the arm wrestle. He has no clue at what pace he wants to play at or how to lead a side to a win in an arm wrestle. 150 games and he's still just a running half IMO.

eels_fan

First Grade
It took John’s 4 final series before he got Newcastle over the line. It also took the Melbourne group of Smith, Slater & Cronk about the same before they won one. I’m not expecting our 2 young spine players in Brown & Mahoney to be at that level yet. Gutho was in everything, he pushed a couple of pass that didn’t need to be thrown, and should have just grounded that ball in goal, but he was in the top 3 on the field tonight.

Moses... just fails to ice the moments that matter too often. I think we persevere in 2021 as there is nothing better available but unless we see some stability, consistency and leadership from him in early 2021, I think we start shopping.

Avenger

Immortal
My biggest problem with Moses he didn't ice a kick into the in goal with no pressure which lead to a try and not once did he try for the sideline when we were losing the arm wrestle. He has no clue at what pace he wants to play at or how to lead a side to a win in an arm wrestle. 150 games and he's still just a running half IMO.
Well said, he has absolutely no football smarts yet our coach wants him to lead our team. We seriously need to consider tapping him on the shoulder. I'd deadset be ruthless and start him in reserves next year, that's how I fell about his game management. make him learn there if he doesn't take the hint and leave.

JokerEel

Coach
Moses could be a good player.
He requires the correct coaching.

A John's may have been able to get him to the next level Unfortunately covid got in the way

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well said, he has absolutely no football smarts yet our coach wants him to lead our team. We seriously need to consider tapping him on the shoulder. I'd deadset be ruthless and start him in reserves next year, that's how I fell about his game management. make him learn there if he doesn't take the hint and leave.

being ruthless is good but who do we replace him with ?

You only replace him with someone better and no one has suggested someone better (only rookies after complaining about our own rookies ).........

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
Jnr and Gutherson are a chance. Guth a bench spot.

I don't think N.Browns any chance.
Matterson would be fine if he had a half capable of putting in him a whole, the worst thing is he is a quality line runner he showed that at the Tigers and Roosters what he is capable of. If he was at the Storm he’d be playing origin this year.

You're right re Matterson. He would look good outside Cliff Lyons.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Drowning my sorrows at the Commercial sports bar with a few beers

I am now in a position to give you all my take on the game "burp"

That friggin goal post miss was huge, needed to go 20-20 and keep the ball, as our turn to build a momentum swing. Moses should have nailed that, and we should have been better prepared for a miss. Instead bunnies' run a mile and end up scoring after Gutho stupidly gifts them a try by not grounding- primary school stuff

Down 26-18, we have the ball again and gift them an intercept 32-18 and GAME OVER

Cody Walker was their main attacking go to. He did FA. However Reynolds a masterclass over Moses in general halfback play.

We lost that game rather than Souths winning it IMO, which is a huge shame cause I got hammered by toothless Souths fans near me, and they will get their asses handed to them by Penrith next week, if Penrith continue their form

My 3 best

Gutho (other than that non grounding)
JPaulo
GJennings

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon the coach has a good idea what is required.,,,there is a good reason he told Norman / Moses they were free to leave and Drown / Mahoney were debuted early ..,,,,it just takes time (reckon 2 years ...) ......

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
He’s miles better than Salmon. We need to stop thinking he’s the next Brett Kenny and be happy he’s going to be the first Dylan Brown. Just my take on it. The kid is defensively superb and has loads of potential. He’s going to improve mate.

Agreed. He is a good player and will improve plenty. I would rather him than Corey Norman if I was the coach.

Happy MEel

First Grade
fair enough but what 20 year old half is going better??
What 20 year old half is getting paid as an established first grader? If he wants the kind of money he’s getting he needs to play to that standard, regardless of his age.

This article suggests he’s on $650k FFS. https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/03/dylan-brown-agrees-to-new-deal-with-eels/

To put that into perspective, Gutho’s on a similar amount.

Moses is only on $150k more and deservedly cops a hammering on here. However, golden child Drown has been just as ineffective in attack and he’s untouchable.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
What 20 year old half is getting paid as an established first grader? If he wants the kind of money he’s getting he needs to play to that standard, regardless of his age.

Young halves generally do get paid on potential/promoted to the top 30 early as they are so hard to find. Reckon there is even a few in squads this year suggesting that - (not that I can provide evidence of their contract value). Even look at the fairly average half’s that clubs are willing to sign / keep

Latest posts