What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Diamond

Juniors
I agree so very much with your comment.

Why move away to a club that's struggling, and in reality that's what the W/T are. For whatever reason Robert Jennings career went down the toilet there too. Was it Robert's lack of worth ethic and committment or was it the lack of established first grade players playing at the top of their game there.

We will never know.

If Daine is prepared to show patience like Lui did the Panthers in time may become his oyster.
Good to see Robert opting to get straight to work training with the Jersey Flegg side. Let's hope he finds his form and has a massive year.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He was spotted at Belmore on Friday with his parents

Fair enough thanks for the info......

All very fascinating. I was sure that Charlie Staines was going to the dogs too, but he chose to stay.

I've been told that players tour clubs especially when said clubs are attempting to lure the player.

Whether Matt's head is turned who knows. News ltd have been pushing his case at the dogs big time.

I'd say Matt and his family have some important decisions to make.

Abacus

Juniors
From the Tele

Elsewhere the Wests Tigers are closing on Penrith Panthers fullback Daine Laurie.

Laurie played three games in season 2020 after making his NRL debut in round 13 and has one more year remaining on his development contract at the club.

The two parties are in negotiations to finalise the move but it’s believed the Wests Tigers have offered Laurie a two-year deal from season 2022.

Born and raised in Iluka on the NSW north coast, Laurie joined Penrith’s SG Ball outfit in 2017 and went on to the named the Jersey Flegg player of the year in 2018, where he scored 17 tries, made 119 tackle busts and 20 line breaks from 22 matches.

But after a resurgence from Dylan Edwards, Laurie found himself down the pecking order for the no.1 jumper at Penrith.

The 21-year old is one of 13 players off contract - without a contract option - at the end of season 2021 at the Panthers.

Penrith’s salary cap squeeze has meant the grand finalists are open to exploring a number of early releases, including for the likes of Laurie, rising halfback Matt Burton and Josh Mansour.

The Bulldogs have offered Burton a two-year deal from season 2022 believed to be worth in the vicinity of $800,000.

But new coach Barrett, who was Ivan Cleary’s assistant at Penrith, is keen to have Burton join his ranks as soon as this pre-season
m the Tele
Laurie's agent trying to get him moved up in the negotiations pecking order...

Need to prioritise Yeo, Luai & Crichton deals. Unfortunately all are in Origin camp so nothing likely until end of next week at the earliest.

Laurie probably falls in the next tranche with Leniu, Capewell, Burton, Naden & May. I think Capewell will be tough to retain so hopefully we're progressing the others (May less importantly at this stage).

Would be surprised if Laurie leaves given Edwards is signed only to 2022. And if we do re-sign Laurie, expect Edwards to be told he's welcome to pursue other options for 2022 (a la Mansour).

hindy111

Post Whore
You need to be carefull you dont pay overs to guys just cause you made GF.
It happens a lot. And players look better in a good side. That's fact.

On Cleary it was just an option. I mean if Burton is as talented and half the price then it's a no brainer.

WestyLife

First Grade

On Cleary it was just an option. I mean if Burton is as talented and half the price then it's a no brainer.

Honestly he's not the greatest to ever play the game but I would be wary of letting go of Cleary's experience. He's done his 5 years in first grade with rep experience and all the highs and lows that come with it.

He’s not going to be half the price for long if he’s just as talented.

Assuming we paid Cleary around $1m, I do think we overpaid a bit, though.

hindy111

Post Whore
He’s not going to be half the price for long if he’s just as talented.

Assuming we paid Cleary around $1m, I do think we overpaid a bit, though.

Parra got milked 600k for D.Brown and what has he shown?

Young halves a,ways get paid more then they are worth. Young players in general do. They get paid for potential.

Sometimes a mid 20s guy who is not going to be a superstar is a safer choice.

mxlegend99

Referee
Cleary on market now would easily get more than he's currently on.

$500k isnt even enough to keep a developing centre after 1 season of NRL.

Nathan has just come off his best ever NRL season as a halfback and while he wasnt at his best in the grand final it's just more pain and experience to fuel him to improve in 2021.

Sadly it doesn't take much to have clubs willing to throw ridiculous money at you. Titans paid a f**king second rower considerably more than we are paying Nathan. To go along with their $1m halfback who has already declined after looking good early on

Never underestimate how much a desperate club will be willing to gamble on a player. $1m for one of the top halves in the game is pretty decent. Be nice to have him on less. But on the market he would go for more

hindy111

Post Whore
I've always felt NRL should follow US sports and have rookie contracts.
Or the club who developed gets a 35% cut for their Rookie contract which cuts put at age 21 or 22.
It makes it so hard knowing when to debut a player and also if play them to early it could cost you 200k before they are even ready.

There are rare exceptions but most guys need atleast 2 full seasons and for forwards I feel 3 in the NRL before they are close to being up to speed and able to handle NRL footy consistently. So unfortunately sometimes your forced to over pay while they are still getting up to speed.

mxlegend99

Referee
If we did have him on less. He would just do a Matterson to get out of it
Haven't the NRL put a stop to this? If you break a contract you cant earn more in the duration of the contract?

Absolute bullshit players can break contracts to earn more but clubs get stuck paying the full wage if they turn to shit.

franklin2323

Immortal
Haven't the NRL put a stop to this? If you break a contract you cant earn more in the duration of the contract?

Absolute bullshit players can break contracts to earn more but clubs get stuck paying the full wage if they turn to shit.

Yep player managers are the biggest scumbags

Status
Not open for further replies.