What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

So keep him then, and play Mbye at fullback, if that is the best outcome for you. I was of the understanding your club wanted Laurie this year but obviously I was mistaken.
I suspect this is what will indeed happen. How can this process take so damned long? Looks like it is going to be Uto all over again. We have signed him for next year so we should be prepared to wait I guess.

Ffs Ivan hand over Laurie.

Youve got Crichton for fb anyway.

What does that young Chrichton punk want today, $1.1m?

If he was one of our players, he’d be mowing the bloody lawn for the season or traded in for Joe O.

Sell that punk to the dogs and put a full deposit on Munster.

And we will take my favourite Panther, Edwards off your hands too. Utility back, maybe a spell at hooker if he’s willing. He might be ok before a marquee such as McInness arrives.

This has been a community service message from Smug Lite. There’s a new smug in town!

Last edited:
You could've been "tigers full cream WITH Ivan" had your board not turffed him, even after he contracted to leave at the end of his current one, but it was not to be

He had to go, he wanted to coach the young bloke and live the family dream.

We came to a lucrative settlement.

The whole Ivan Mark 2 experiment has been very expensive. Almost paid off last year. So close....

Good regular season though, no, bloody excellent regular season! Won’t be equalled in our lifetimes.

But the party’s over, the hangover arrives with a far weaker squad. This year will be a much better test for Ivan. Can he do it again?’ Mmm.

Last edited:

Original Name

Juniors
Been told a Maybe. Terms are the key.
Cini was coming last week, then things changed again.
The whole swap has been difficult.
Blade is there no interest in moving Martin to the middle as a bench prop that you're aware off? I know Ivan has said long term he views Martin's future as being in the middle once he loses a bit of speed. He plays similarly to Tetevano with his run hard and straight, tackle hard attitude and off the bench that worked very well for us last year. This way Capewell deservedly starts and we keep decent middle depth with Eisenhuth, Smith and Ava as backups. If Martin's big enough to play lock he's big enough to play prop.

I've noticed Martin makes a lot of tackles by the standard of second rowers. He seems extremely fit so I'd back him in to play some big minutes if he needs to do it.

Jane Murray

Bench

The whole Ivan Mark 2 experiment has been very expensive. Almost paid off last year. So close....

Good regular season though, no, bloody excellent regular season! Won’t be equalled in our lifetimes.

But the party’s over, the hangover arrives with a far weaker squad. This year will be a much better test for Ivan. Can he do it again?’ Mmm.
Jealousy is a curse. Worry about your side, and us fans, will worry about ours.

betcats

Referee
Re momirovski/ cini - I got no idea what caused the change but I’m pretty sure 3 of the younger guys we have training up with the fg squad are centres(Taylan may, Turuva and Jenkins) so it feels like momirovski would be a better fit as he can be an option from round 1 rather than another prospect like Cini. If Burton is going to be in the centres this year we would have Naden and potentially momirovski as our depth in the back line which gives the young guys plenty of time to develop. If one of them makes the step up on 2021 then there is a spot waiting for them in 2022.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Far weaker?? Please the squad has a season and will have another pre-season under their belt.
The spine will be better, our outside backs will be better.

How are we weaker?

betcats

Referee
Far weaker?? Please the squad has a season and will have another pre-season under their belt.
The spine will be better, our outside backs will be better.

How are we weaker?

Exactly. We may be losing some experience in Tamou, Tetevano and Sauce but the whole team experienced a deep finals run last season and a bitter loss at the end of it, they have an idea of what it takes now. Besides experience most of our squad, the top 17 in particular, are in the 20-26 age range, we can reasonably expect many of them to continue to improve.

Abacus

Juniors
Blade is there no interest in moving Martin to the middle as a bench prop that you're aware off? I know Ivan has said long term he views Martin's future as being in the middle once he loses a bit of speed. He plays similarly to Tetevano with his run hard and straight, tackle hard attitude and off the bench that worked very well for us last year. This way Capewell deservedly starts and we keep decent middle depth with Eisenhuth, Smith and Ava as backups. If Martin's big enough to play lock he's big enough to play prop.

I've noticed Martin makes a lot of tackles by the standard of second rowers. He seems extremely fit so I'd back him in to play some big minutes if he needs to do it.
Except for injuries, I can't see Martin anywhere but the bench in 2021. Obviously the positive is that he can be deployed based on the team make-up and the opposition.

betcats

Referee
Despite being a international and origin player im not sure Sauce's experience meant shit. He was always good for dumb errors or mistakes

Yeah not to pile on Sauce but To'o or Staines will be an improvement to our left sides attacking capability and it was already the best attacking side in the comp. Add in potential improvement in all of them really but in particular Crichton and Luai and it should be pretty lethal again.

Re momirovski/ cini - I got no idea what caused the change but I’m pretty sure 3 of the younger guys we have training up with the fg squad are centres(Taylan may, Turuva and Jenkins) so it feels like momirovski would be a better fit as he can be an option from round 1 rather than another prospect like Cini. If Burton is going to be in the centres this year we would have Naden and potentially momirovski as our depth in the back line which gives the young guys plenty of time to develop. If one of them makes the step up on 2021 then there is a spot waiting for them in 2022.
How can Penrith afford Momirovski? I thought your cap was so tight that you couldn’t afford Cini’s increased wages over Laurie’s?

The numbers seem pretty straight forward:
$2.25M includes $250k for 2021, so $2M for 3 years ~ $670k per year until 2024.

This was more the amount I'd hoped to have signed Luai for (I'm still assuming it will be in this ballpark). So still big bickies for a 26 game centre, but nowhere near as bad as $750k.

Interesting to watch what we do with Edwards & Staines if Crichton also has designs on FB.
This is just an accounting trick. The cost of re-signing Crichton is 2.25 million for 3 years. That equates to 750k per year. As far as the cap goes you can offset some of this this year by upgrading his final year of his contract by 250k. If it makes you feel better you can say it’s only costing you 670k per year but in effect a three year extension is still costing you 2.25 million. No matter how you do your math, and whatever helps you sleep at night, that is a massive risk for a 1 year player who is a centre! Good luck!