What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
Mansour was brought up by betcats to shift the goalposts. This has nothing to do with Mansour. I'm neutral on Mansour. As my original post, I agree with Kilkenny that there is some uncertainty in regards to the pre season in regards to having an incomplete roster. I understand the reasons (mostly) but having to look around at juniors to complete our roster is a little concerning. Late departure of Televano is concerning.It means that we are likely to have perhaps 6 - 7 players that have had no pre season training with the squad. I know many of the people disagree with me will say a game plan is easy to pick up. They are largely the same people that were complaining that Hook's game plans were too simple. Anyway, if they have no concerns, good for them. ..

ving

Fair enough. It's valid to be concerned about depth but don't we have our top 17 sorted? Maybe I'm wrong but our pack:

Fish
Yeo
Leota
Lenui
Eisenhuth
Sorensen
Martin

Not a bad bunch of middles with a couple of top line starters and nice depth such as Eisenhuth. Martin we were told would get some time in the middle which accounts for having Capewell.

betcats

Referee
Mansour was brought up by betcats to shift the goalposts. This has nothing to do with Mansour. I'm neutral on Mansour. As my original post, I agree with Kilkenny that there is some uncertainty in regards to the pre season in regards to having an incomplete roster. I

Kilkenny didnt say there was some uncertainty around our roster, that is your own words that you have put in his mouth. He said "its been a really poor off season". You accuse me of dribbling and shifting the goal post but you have completely changed what Kilkenny said to suit yourself lol you muppet.

panthersam

Juniors
We probably do lose the power with Staines but speed will beat the 1st chaser several times too so the overall outcome should be the same

For sure, I don’t doubt that Josh is the more powerful of the two - but with the natural bulking up that Staines will do just by growing as a man, his speed will be converted into its own form of power that simply can’t be taught or trained which is the exciting part.

Too many times in the last few years Josh has failed to score in opportunities that both Staines and Bizza would be able to finish while jogging/with their eyes closed!

WestyLife

First Grade
For sure, I don’t doubt that Josh is the more powerful of the two - but with the natural bulking up that Staines will do just by growing as a man, his speed will be converted into its own form of power that simply can’t be taught or trained which is the exciting part.

Too many times in the last few years Josh has failed to score in opportunities that both Staines and Bizza would be able to finish while jogging/with their eyes closed!

This is a HUGE point. Even in a good year last year Mansour missed some chances.

betcats

Referee
Also @BxTom if you think a development club like Penrith promoting a couple of juniors into the first grade squad is a concern then you NFI.

WestyLife

First Grade
Also @BxTom if you think a development club like Penrith promoting a couple of juniors into the first grade squad is a concern then you NFI.

Maybe I'm being dumb but are we expected to keep everyone? We had 2 props and a half that were nrl standard as reserve grade back up last year not even including Staines/Laurie who were becoming first graders as well.

I'm genuinely missing something here and feel like an idiot for it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe I'm being dumb but are we expected to keep everyone? We had 2 props and a half that were nrl standard as reserve grade back up last year not even including Staines/Laurie who were becoming first graders as well.

Nope I am the same us you. Don't see all the doom others are predicting.

betcats

Referee

Its just going looking for negatives imo, we've brought in some decent players from outside the club to fill out the roster and we are still looking at another prop. Promoting our juniors has been the back bone to our plan for success for almost a decade, Gus always stated that is where he was trying to get us, Cameron has been there from almost the start and had a big hand in setting up the systems to develop these kids. We should be relying on our development systems to provide some depth now, if not then we are doing something wrong in an area we have been investing heavily in for a long time.

martielang

Bench
My only concern is how much experience we’ve shredded & how quickly we did it. Going all in on the next shiny batch of juniors while discarding everyone over the age of 28 is a very Panthers thing to do. Hasn’t exactly seen a huge amount of success.

franklin2323

Immortal
My only concern is how much experience we’ve shredded & how quickly we did it. Going all in on the next shiny batch of juniors while discarding everyone over the age of 28 is a very Panthers thing to do. Hasn’t exactly seen a huge amount of success.

Who would you not of re-signed?

It isn't ideal to shed experience but it costs money to keep the young guys

WestyLife

First Grade
Its just going looking for negatives imo, we've brought in some decent players from outside the club to fill out the roster and we are still looking at another prop. Promoting our juniors has been the back bone to our plan for success for almost a decade, Gus always stated that is where he was trying to get us, Cameron has been there from almost the start and had a big hand in setting up the systems to develop these kids. We should be relying on our development systems to provide some depth now, if not then we are doing something wrong in an area we have been investing heavily in for a long time.

Fair point. Lot of time and money invested.

It does make sense though.

Crichton best centre of the year push price up

Luai top 5 half price rise

Yeo top 6 lock price rise

panthersam

Juniors
Fair enough. It's valid to be concerned about depth but don't we have our top 17 sorted? Maybe I'm wrong but our pack:

Fish
Yeo
Leota
Lenui
Eisenhuth
Sorensen
Martin

Not a bad bunch of middles with a couple of top line starters and nice depth such as Eisenhuth. Martin we were told would get some time in the middle which accounts for having Capewell.

The Capewell signing was much in the same mould as the Sorensen signing, not too much was expected of him in our main team and yet now we are figuring out ways to get him on the field as much as possible. Not saying that Sorensen is or will be as good as Capey, but these are the types of signings that will be putting pressure on the main team constantly which is what is needed to stay at the top.

I’m much happier with the signings we have bought in as opposed to if we had gone out and bought an Aiden Tolman type because he has had a long career in first grade. :thumbsup:

betcats

Referee

Losing experience IMO is the most genuine concern out of this offseason but i dont think its fair to say we are discarding everyone in favour of the next batch of juniors. You can say that for Sauce and Staines but Tamou has Leota and Leniu looking to take his spot. Leota has been around for a long time now and Leniu has shown enough that he can at the very least handle a bench role. We have signed some experienced players to take Tetevano's place and Whare's place. Again I think we just need to acknowledge the realities of the salary cap here.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It’s also a concern of mine, but our team has also gained a lot of experience, the young blokes would have learnt so much last year, I’m sure we will be fine.

Pomoz

Bench
This is true. However, the difference is players we develop now come into first grade and are effective. The changes Gus made to development pathways have made a big impact, including bringing NSW cup back to the club and building the academy. Previously we saw so many juniors we thought would become stars come into first grade and sink without trace. Harry Seikja being the most recent one I can think of.

Now, when they debut you know they will do a good job. They will still have the issues all new players have with inconsistency and fatigue, but you manage that by spelling them back in NSW cup. I used to roll my eyes when we talked about NRL debuts, remembering all the potential superstars (R jennings better than Michael, Blake Austin the next Brandy and so on) that just sink without trace. Now i am always excited and interested to see what they will do.

I agree with Blade, Tamou is our biggest loss because of his positive influence off the field. We need Yeo, Cleary, JFH and Api to step and fill the leadership void. They are rep players now and youngsters will look up and respect them the same way that they looked up to Tamou. All four players seem like grounded, professional positive role models to me. Cleary is the only one I have doubts over because I think he needs a bit more time, he comes across as a bit immature in interviews at times. Not being overly critical, he is still only 23 after all!

GongPanther

Referee
This is true. However, the difference is players we develop now come into first grade and are effective. The changes Gus made to development pathways have made a big impact, including bringing NSW cup back to the club and building the academy. Previously we saw so many juniors we thought would become stars come into first grade and sink without trace. Harry Seikja being the most recent one I can think of.

Now, when they debut you know they will do a good job. They will still have the issues all new players have with inconsistency and fatigue, but you manage that by spelling them back in NSW cup. I used to roll my eyes when we talked about NRL debuts, remembering all the potential superstars (R jennings better than Michael, Blake Austin the next Brandy and so on) that just sink without trace. Now i am always excited and interested to see what they will do.

I agree with Blade, Tamou is our biggest loss because of his positive influence off the field. We need Yeo, Cleary, JFH and Api to step and fill the leadership void. They are rep players now and youngsters will look up and respect them the same way that they looked up to Tamou. All four players seem like grounded, professional positive role models to me. Cleary is the only one I have doubts over because I think he needs a bit more time, he comes across as a bit immature in interviews at times. Not being overly critical, he is still only 23 after all!
Remember schoolboy Greg Waddell? I vaguely can, but after his leg injury, he was history yet the club continued to spit out marvellous talent.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/greg-waddell.474315/

Latest posts