What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

<.....> Dolphins?

They already use silver/grey to some degree in their merch and logo. Personally I'd drop the white (already have St's in red and white) and go red and silver with maybe black as a third minor colour usage on piping etc. Or if they are insisting on sticking with red and white turn it around and go a different style than their traditional V and maybe go with a Hull KR style red band on white jersey (something like this one they have used before).View attachment 46132

Cheers and yeah, Red black n silver would be a cracking combo. But as their “tradition” is the red n white, dunno if they’d go that route.

MugaB

Coach
Cheers and yeah, Red black n silver would be a cracking combo. But as their “tradition” is the red n white, dunno if they’d go that route.
Traditional colors means squat if they are going to be a new SEQ based team,
When penrith started they chose brown and white, as their colors of blue, black, white had already been used by the sharks, redcliffe can be the more dominant with its colors, but if you wanna be "sunshine state" you have to be more than just red and white.
I would go Red, Gold, Silver, and white
Mainly Red and Gold, this would seperate the stigma of redcliffe colors
A bit like WESTS tigers with their use of orange, generally paying in a more magpies home jersey

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's amazing to me that somehow RL manages to make the same mistakes over and over.

By even contemplating the Dolphins bid at all we are making all the major mistakes (with one exception) that the NSWRL made with the Gold Coast Seagulls, and look how that turned out.

I hate the idea of adding grey “silver” to the red and white.

this is a shirt they are selling that’s part of their “NRL Bid Merchandise”, it”s not quite a jersey however I really like the colour combination they’ve gone for with the red, white, gold and black, I think a Jersey with the same colour scheme would also look great. Similar to the Reds jersey above but gold instead of yellow and not quite as bright.

D81D1F25-A4D1-42C0-8455-224B742AFE50.jpeg

683EB70B-E3FA-4D98-8295-3AC25682D3BD.jpeg

Santino Patane

Juniors
Only problem with that is that your playing at Suncorp, so being "Moreton Bay" or "Sunshine coast" doesn't work, yes it identifies with a real location but its not broad enough to where you're playing at, an example is Manly sea eagles playing home games at Homebush, represents northern beaches/suburbs but if it was called North Sydney Sea Eagles, that would suit it for the area and the location of home stadium.

As for my picks, I'd be going South Queensland, East Coast, or Sunshine State Dolphins, all three don't pigeon hole the team to a specific location and can play out of Sunshine Coast Stadium, Brisbanes Suncorp stadium and Redcliffe Stadium without either alienating fans and representing a far greater area in SEQ than redcliffe and its surrounding area..

Northgate is also the postal region between Redcliffe and Brisbane City so "Northgate Dolphins"
also "Northern Suburbs" Dolphins could also work, and has that North Sydney Bears or Eastern Suburbs Roosters ring to it.
Main idea is to BE the 2nd Suncorp team regardless of being affiliated with redcliffe or moreton bay, so the name needs to reflect more than all three
Read my last post- Moreton Bay is a physical location that stretches from Bribie Island in the North to South Stradbroke Island in the south. It encompasses 4 LGA’s (Gold Coast, Redland, Brisbane and Moreton), not just the newer council that was formally Pine Rivers and Caboolture prior to 2009. Also, the SEQ LGA’s west of the above four (eg Scenic Rim, Ipswich, Lockyer etc) are a defined region called “West Moreton”. So “Moreton Bay” doesn’t just represent the outer northern suburbs- try telling that to the locals especially on North Straddie and you will hear some push back....

Santino Patane

Juniors
I'd prefer South Queensland Dolphins. "Compliments" North Queensland Cowboys.

The only thing is that Brisbane and the Gold Coast are effectively located in South Queensland. I don't have an issue with it, but they might.

Of the others, Moreton Bay also sounds ok enough. I like Sunshine Coast Dolphins but that's further north of Redcliffe??

I think whatever they choose it has to effectively represent the region. Not a newly made up name, nor something that's limited. So Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast (established/recognised names) would be names that suffice.
Problem is, South Queensland isn’t a defined term that anyone uses outside of the Crushers. The area is usually South East Queensland, or other regions (eg Darling Downs). North Queensland has always been a region that people and government use, but the opposite hasn’t.

MugaB

Coach
I hate the idea of adding grey “silver” to the red and white.

this is a shirt they are selling that’s part of their “NRL Bid Merchandise”, it”s not quite a jersey however I really like the colour combination they’ve gone for with the red, white, gold and black, I think a Jersey with the same colour scheme would also look great. Similar to the Reds jersey above but gold instead of yellow and not quite as bright.

View attachment 46142

View attachment 46143
This type of gold is usually called "Old Gold" its been used for a few NFL teams, like SF 49ers, and New Orleans Saints, its a great way to seperate from all the other teams who use yellow as a 3rd strip or trim, I've seen Gazf designs for the WA pirates a few years ago, with this same old gold color with red and black, looks great, although im not a fan of the dolphins associated with black, i feel Red, Gold and white is the way to go, San Francisco 49s colors.

if Perth ever got the Pirates bid, the Black, with DarkGold/Orange and Red, similar to the Tampa Bay Bucceneers would suit them better than the dolphins

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
East Coast Dolphins.
South Queensland Dolphins.
Sunshine Coast Dolphins.
Sunshine State Dolphins.
Bay City Dolphins.
North Brisbane Dolphins.
North Lakes Dolphins.
Brisbane Bay Dolphins.
Golden State Dolphins.
Moreton Bay Dolphins.
Golden Bay Dolphins.
Queensland Dolphins.
Northgate Dolphins.
Northern River Dolphins.

Camsmith Dolphins

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like the Pirates might need to be looking for new colours if they want admission.now

hahah yeh them shorts are very west coast lol.
Sadly looking at the weird and wonderful sg ball Pirates jerseys of last few years, if we ever get a club, I can see them being like Titans and constantly messing with the kit and colours rather than creating a strong iconic brand from day one.

It's amazing to me that somehow RL manages to make the same mistakes over and over.

By even contemplating the Dolphins bid at all we are making all the major mistakes (with one exception) that the NSWRL made with the Gold Coast Seagulls, and look how that turned out.
The problem with the Seagulls is they played their games in Tweed Heads, (NSW) despite being called Gold Coast (Queensland). Tweed Heads has a tiny population.

What hurt the Seagulls was the introduction of pokies in Queensland by Wayne Goss. Before that date the oldies from Gold Coast would travel across the border to play the pokies at Seagulls Leagues Club. That ended when they finally had pokies on the Gold Coast and it sent Seagulls broke.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Yep a gold or yellow would compliment that well. And avoid a full clash with the dragons.

I reckon silver would look good too (full name aside). It’ll look far better on modern jerseys than when it was last tried for the giants / seagulls. Think the Raiders of the NFL. That kind of finish, not the “matte cotton”
I’d make red the main colour with touches of white and gold. Making the majority of the kit red would not really clash with the Dragons. The white with red V vs a red strip would not clash at all

The Great Dane

First Grade
The problem with the Seagulls is they played their games in Tweed Heads, (NSW) despite being called Gold Coast (Queensland). Tweed Heads has a tiny population.

What hurt the Seagulls was the introduction of pokies in Queensland by Wayne Goss. Before that date the oldies from Gold Coast would travel across the border to play the pokies at Seagulls Leagues Club. That ended when they finally had pokies on the Gold Coast and it sent Seagulls broke.
Yeah like I said all the same mistakes that would be repeated in Redcliffe.

They'd be a team based on the outskirts of a market that only represent it in name only, that's actual audience isn't big enough to support a team, and that only has the license because they have a rich leagues club that everybody assumes will be able to support the club for an extended peirod even if it's a failing business.

The only differences are that, unlike the Seagulls, the Dolphins seem to at least be smart enough not to insist on playing in their stadium that's out of the way and not suitable to support a professional team, and they're unlikely to be effected by sudden changes in pokie laws that suddenly send them broke, which probably means they'll be able to support the NRL side significantly longer. But aside from that those those things the resemblance is striking.

Yeah like I said all the same mistakes that would be repeated in Redcliffe.

They'd be a team based on the outskirts of a market that only represent it in name only, that's actual audience isn't big enough to support a team, and that only has the license because they have a rich leagues club that everybody assumes will be able to support the club for an extended peirod even if it's a failing business.

The only differences are that, unlike the Seagulls, the Dolphins seem to at least be smart enough not to insist on playing in their stadium that's out of the way and not suitable to support a professional team, and they're unlikely to be effected by sudden changes in pokie laws that suddenly send them broke, which probably means they'll be able to support the NRL side significantly longer. But aside from that those those things the resemblance is striking.
You make some good points. One thing in Redcliffe's favour is they have a stadium that I presume is making them money from deals with the Brisbane Roar. I think if they're serious about making a fist of this they'll need to rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins at all levels and try to build a fanbase from Moreton Bay Region through Redlands.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You make some good points. One thing in Redcliffe's favour is they have a stadium that I presume is making them money from deals with the Brisbane Roar. I think if they're serious about making a fist of this they'll need to rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins at all levels and try to build a fanbase from Moreton Bay Region through Redlands.
All their income and assets won't mean a thing if they can't attract a significant fan base. They'll just be a husk of a club that continues to exist off their riches but nobody cares about, like a lot of RU clubs around the world.

And you mean like how the Seagulls rebranded from Tweed Heads to the Gold Coast. How'd that workout for them...
The reality is that as long as they are running out as the Dolphins people will associate them with Redcliffe and all the other history that is associated with the Dolphins brand, just like people on the Gold Coast associated the Seagulls with Tweed Heads and all their history.