What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
I cant judge Stone based in not enough game time. And when he has had game time it has been in a position he never played before. Hooker ffs.
Guys need 25 -30 games just to get up to speed and atleast 30 min or close.
Stone is his preferred position and mins has had the equivalent I'd say of about 3. And if count all NRL of his 19 games I would say he is around 10 due to small minutes.
I'm unsure about him. He has also had a lot of disruption with injuries.

Glenneel

Bench
Even if those moments are due to anything more than luck they are no more important than all the other moments that add up to make 80 minutes.

Games aren't won and lost in a single moment. Our lizard brains just create a narrative that makes it appear so after the fact. That's how we can enjoy watching 34 dudes running around with a football for 4800 seconds. We focus on the seconds that are more interesting than the others and then tell ourselves they are also the most important.
Yes they are, a dropped ball when in a try scoring, similarly not passing in the same situation or dropped ball that other team scores from are just some of the single moments that results in winning/losing games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I cant judge Stone based in not enough game time. And when he has had game time it has been in a position he never played before. Hooker ffs.
Guys need 25 -30 games just to get up to speed and atleast 30 min or close.
Stone is his preferred position and mins has had the equivalent I'd say of about 3. And if count all NRL of his 19 games I would say he is around 10 due to small minutes.
I'm unsure about him. He has also had a lot of disruption with injuries.
He's played his preferred position in defence, which is middle third. He's done well there, but the way we play we want attack from our middles.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes they are, a dropped ball when in a try scoring, similarly not passing in the same situation or dropped ball that other team scores from are just some of the single moments that results in winning/losing games.
Except the score is calculated over the entire 4800 seconds, not just the one where the ball was or wasn't dropped. Even getting to the point where there was a one second opportunity to ground the ball in goal is a result of all the seconds that preceded it.

If there is a most and least important second in the game it's the first and last seconds. The reason being that the first second influences the 4799 seconds that follow it, while the last second only matters if there was a result changing event.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Except the score is calculated over the entire 4800 seconds, not just the one where the ball was or wasn't dropped. Even getting to the point where there was a one second opportunity to ground the ball in goal is a result of all the seconds that preceded it.

If there is a most and least important second in the game it's the first and last seconds. The reason being that the first second influences the 4799 seconds that follow it, while the last second only matters if there was a result changing event.
I would contend that the first 5-8 seconds in a game are less important than the last second, especially given that the last second is a dynamic metric given that it is not necessarily the 4800th second in a game as the ball is still live in that second unless it directly coincides with a play declaring the game over.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would contend that the first 5-8 seconds in a game are less important than the last second, especially given that the last second is a dynamic metric given that it is not necessarily the 4800th second in a game as the ball is still live in that second unless it directly coincides with a play declaring the game over.
The opening kickoff and its reception and return can give either team an advantage that compounds over the remainder of the game.

Whether it's even close at the 4800th second is dependent on all of the seconds that occurred before it.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
The opening kickoff and its reception and return can give either team an advantage that compounds over the remainder of the game.

Whether it's even close at the 4800th second is dependent on all of the seconds that occurred before it.

I talked myself into agreeing with you.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Again. Context merkin.

He just gave you context merkin.

There are many factors that can make up a winning or losing team season to season and an average to plodder can be in either and therefore his win/loss stats can be askew either way.

There are many factors that can make up a winning or losing team season to season and an average to plodder can be in either and therefore his win/loss stats can be askew either way.

'Context' refers to how you are attempting to use/present the statistics, and the inference you draw from them. Not to examples of the phenomena that you are trying to describe. They're related but not the same thing.

So if I were to say, "Right, player X has the higher Y ratio, therefore he's the best player in the comp", that would be quite stupid. If I were to say, "Player X has really looked good this season, has been on the field in the crucial parts of the game and never seems to miss an important tackle, and this intuition is backed up by the following relevant stats" that wouldn't be such a bad thing, hey?

lingard

Coach
So what does everyone think of the new transfer deadline?
Do you think there’ll be late season flurries of off contract players in non-finals teams to finals team?
Is it possible player X from the wooden spooners could sign with the minor premiers for next season but get a transfer offer to play against his future team in this years finals?
Will there be loans of players for finals runs?
Should the salaries be annualised?
Will the Scum and Rorters rort the shit out of it?

I reckon it could tear the guts out of the game. I mean, just say Parramatta was in, say, sixth spot with six or seven weeks of the premiership to go, and they suddenly buy 3 quality players at the end of July. They go on a run and win the grand final with these three quality 'ring ins'. What would it mean?

lingard

Coach

I think you've nailed it.

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon it could tear the guts out of the game. I mean, just say Parramatta was in, say, sixth spot with six or seven weeks of the premiership to go, and they suddenly buy 3 quality players at the end of July. They go on a run and win the grand final with these three quality 'ring ins'. What would it mean?
The exact scenario I was thinking - if results this year followed last years, do we make a play at say Staggs (assuming centre stays our most obvious lesser talented for lack of a better phrase) on a loan deal and he can f**k off and join probably Rorters next season?
Alternatively if we do a 2018, do we approach a Rorters, etc and lend them say Moses to the end of season?

Incorrect

Coach
What would it mean?

I'll tell you what it would mean - it'd mean we're premiers and I'd be drunk from the first Sunday night in October until the world club challenge!!!

Parra Premier's - you beauty!!!

You'd have to leave cap space for it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

That’s not context within which to examine said stats. Add ‘context’ to ‘hyperbole’ as a couple of words you should look up in the dictionary.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What would it mean?

I'll tell you what it would mean - it'd mean we're premiers and I'd be drunk from the first Sunday night in October until the world club challenge!!!

Parra Premier's - you beauty!!!
Yep, just get it done BA and O’Neill. No Excuses FFS!!

Latest posts