What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Snoochies

First Grade
I reckon it could tear the guts out of the game. I mean, just say Parramatta was in, say, sixth spot with six or seven weeks of the premiership to go, and they suddenly buy 3 quality players at the end of July. They go on a run and win the grand final with these three quality 'ring ins'. What would it mean?

Happens in the MLB, not sure about other sports. Many players out of contention will go to a team that are in the playoffs and come back the year after. Baseball is more about a transaction whereas I 'think' Rugby League players 'may' have a little pride left in their jersey.

Gronk

Staff member
Does anyone think that Cameron "Bobby Fischer" Smith's cunning plan for the next chapter of his life has all but backfired ? No new club and no official send off to handjob his ego ?

84 Baby

Referee
Happens in the MLB, not sure about other sports. Many players out of contention will go to a team that are in the playoffs and come back the year after. Baseball is more about a transaction whereas I 'think' Rugby League players 'may' have a little pride left in their jersey.
We can’t compare to US sports. The salary amounts are way more and their “cost of living” is just different. Heaps of stars there don’t even live (I mean their family home) in the state their team is in.

Baseball players also have basically no choice in such deals. Their contract is owned by the club and is basically a tradable security.

TheRam

Coach
Baseball players also have basically no choice in such deals. Their contract is owned by the club and is basically a tradable security.

It's bizarre that in basically the most litigious nation on earth a group of employees have allowed themselves to be sold off like a commodity and them not having a say in it.

Very strange that this has not been stopped.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's bizarre that in basically the most litigious nation on earth a group of employees have allowed themselves to be sold off like a commodity and them not having a say in it.

They signed up to it and in the US contracts are almost sacred.

lingard

Coach
You'd have to leave cap space for it.

Okay. So it would be somewhat of a gamble leaving maybe two spots worth of cap space open, and hoping that the perfect scenario happened where you could negotiate for, say, two suitable players to join your squad around or near July 30th? But if you only signed them for a couple of months or so, that wouldn't be much cap space you'd have to save, would it?

yes, it is very odd. But they get paid more because of it (there's less risk to the originator of the contract if they know they can move you on without you kicking up a fuss). Some successful players also negotiate a no-trade clause (which costs them $$$).

lingard

Coach

Just because it happens elsewhere does not make it right.

Okay. So it would be somewhat of a gamble leaving maybe two spots worth of cap space open, and hoping that the perfect scenario happened where you could negotiate for, say, two suitable players to join your squad around or near July 30th? But if you only signed them for a couple of months or so, that wouldn't be much cap space you'd have to save, would it?

I'm not saying I agree with it. I don't see the point of the change. But you could play the same shenanigans with the June 30 deadline as well...just less certainty about who is in the 8.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah I get that, but all it takes is one person to protest and take them to court.
The player associations agreed to it on their behalf. Their protest would fall on just as deaf ears as an individual disputing a CBA here. Plus they’d have to be really righteous to attack that golden goose. And they are on the road for significant lengths of time so it’s not like living near your work is that necessary. LeBron lived in LA long before he signed with Lakers.
Roger Clemens spent his offseasons at home in Ohio when he played for Boston, Yankees, Houston and even Toronto.
At the end of the day even the backups of the depth players get paid enough to go spend 6-9 months in wherever their boss tells them. Their boss being the Almighty Dollar

84 Baby

Referee
There’s a lot of things people lambast America for but they forget that there are some things they do very right, and sports is at the very top of that list

Latest posts