What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 1: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks wasn't that bad. He has some quality touches. Sure he needs to somehow organize us when we go to pieces like we did against Canberra but personally I think that is a tough ask. I don't think Brooks is a gun half but he has some upsides.

I said from the start Liddle can't play 80 minutes. Sure he can be out there for 80 minutes but hooker is one of the toughest positions in the game. I reckon it's too much to ask him to play a consistent quality 80 minutes.

I think the following changes are required:-

1. Jake Simpkin to the bench.
2. AD to 6 but this isn't really a change.

I think that this is less of a priority but I think it'd help putting Tuki Simpkins in the team and giving him plenty of time at lock. Twal does a decent job but he is very plodder like.

Packer to me drops off the bench for Tuki Simpkins and Mbye drops out for Jake Simpkin.

I'd also consider dropping BJ and promoting Talau. Talau to me is starting to show something and BJ is an emotional mess who you can't trust to perform.
I agree with everything except for the 1st sentence.We really must sign Hastings ASAP unless there’s someone better who we could swiftly entice coz he’s surplus to requirements at a powerful club which is spoilt for choice.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks wasn't that bad. He has some quality touches. Sure he needs to somehow organize us when we go to pieces like we did against Canberra but personally I think that is a tough ask. I don't think Brooks is a gun half but he has some upsides.

I said from the start Liddle can't play 80 minutes. Sure he can be out there for 80 minutes but hooker is one of the toughest positions in the game. I reckon it's too much to ask him to play a consistent quality 80 minutes.

I think the following changes are required:-

1. Jake Simpkin to the bench.
2. AD to 6 but this isn't really a change.

I think that this is less of a priority but I think it'd help putting Tuki Simpkins in the team and giving him plenty of time at lock. Twal does a decent job but he is very plodder like.

Packer to me drops off the bench for Tuki Simpkins and Mbye drops out for Jake Simpkin.

I'd also consider dropping BJ and promoting Talau. Talau to me is starting to show something and BJ is an emotional mess who you can't trust to perform.
I meant except 1st 2 sentences pertaining to the dunce

Tiger Ted

Bench
I like the look of our pack. Musgrove and Blore will improve our forwards if they get on the field.
We certainly have the makings of a quality pack.The 7 is our primary liability & our top 8 aspirations hinge on our talented 1 6 & 9 realising their enormous potential.

Tiger05

First Grade
I meant except 1st 2 sentences pertaining to the dunce

I got it the first time. I get where you are coming from. I still see Brooks come up with some quality touches and show great defense. He gives me the impression he is an asset if everyone else can do their job exceptionally well. It'll be interesting how he and the team go this season. I think we should strongly challenge for an 8 spot. If we don't there will have to be more personnel changes but even Madge must come under pressure.

Our forwards were pretty good on the weekend. Our backs definitely weren't great but I think we have enough talent there. Our spine wasn't good excluding Laurie but hopefully they improve. We did though screw ourselves over as a team with some poor discipline and that stuff is within our control and not the halves or spines fault. Liddle was completely outplayed by Hodgson. I think Madge and the coaching staff have to somehow get them firing.

Tigerm

First Grade
I got it the first time. I get where you are coming from. I still see Brooks come up with some quality touches and show great defense. He gives me the impression he is an asset if everyone else can do their job exceptionally well. It'll be interesting how he and the team go this season. I think we should strongly challenge for an 8 spot. If we don't there will have to be more personnel changes but even Madge must come under pressure.

Our forwards were pretty good on the weekend. Our backs definitely weren't great but I think we have enough talent there. Our spine wasn't good excluding Laurie but hopefully they improve. We did though screw ourselves over as a team with some poor discipline and that stuff is within our control and not the halves or spines fault. Liddle was completely outplayed by Hodgson. I think Madge and the coaching staff have to somehow get them firing.
I'm still thinking Brooks would make a great 9? Fit, quick and can tackle.

Tiger05

First Grade
We certainly have the makings of a quality pack.The 7 is our primary liability & our top 8 aspirations hinge on our talented 1 6 & 9 realising their enormous potential.

These guys have to play top quality footy. They can't just be fringe first graders. Laurie looked really good but he is a small player and that may impact his hit-ups and defense over the course of the season. Liddle wasn't good with the ball but defensively he was very good. I think it was stupid making him play 80 minutes. He could be replace via Simpkin who to me looked top quality in the trials.

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm still thinking Brooks would make a great 9? Fit, quick and can tackle.

He'd make a terrific 9.. near bullet proof and 80 mins guaranteed . ..excellent front on defender on the big guys and could just play what's in front of him without worrying about anything else. His short kicking game is ok as well. ..mostly . I really cannot think of a potential downside ...but maybe i'm not looking hard enough.

stryker

First Grade
Wtf you want Mbye in the halves?

You’ve lost the plot a bit earlier than normal this season. Can’t blame you I guess.

Dougie will be originating soon enough.
Of course not but Douehi hasn’t proved himself a gun at this club yet.
In fact at certain stages last year (the failed fullback experiment), he should have been in NSW Cup.
Hopefully he works out at 5/8 and becomes the “gun” people keep accusing him of being.

stryker

First Grade
Lol if you think there will be wholesale changes you’ve got rocks. I am still convinced we shot ourselves in the foot more than Canberra being some shit hot side. Our discipline was shocking for a 1st grade standard team

Madden was even worse than Brooks in the game prior and is still a couple months away at the very least.

I’d also have Simpkin on the bench as I don’t think Liddle can produce 80 quality minutes

Too much wrist slitting over an error riddled 40 mins in round 1
It wasn’t just error riddled.
We couldn’t score bar adlib play from Brooks and Roberts.
Our discipline was shocking
We missed a lot of tackles
We had no leadership
We had no composure
It was poor

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
It wasn’t just error riddled.
We couldn’t score bar adlib play from Brooks and Roberts.
Our discipline was shocking
We missed a lot of tackles
We had no leadership
We had no composure
It was poor

we made 5 more missed tackles than Raiders, but we also had to make 70 more tackles (according to NRL site)

our attack was pedestrian but the elephant in the room overall was our discipline IMO

The young lady who supports the Tigers at work was furious. She shook her head and said we were “f**ked”.

She missed the first half, but she’s no nonsense.

She plays socccer.

Tigerm

First Grade
we made 5 more missed tackles than Raiders, but we also had to make 70 more tackles (according to NRL site)

our attack was pedestrian but the elephant in the room overall was our discipline IMO

The stats show we were competitive but I put it down to what the papers wrote, it was a 10 minute belly flop on our part, that good sides take them and they never looked back as we couldn’t recover.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20210107/stats

sorry I can’t copy and past the tables for some reason?

We need a half back that can lead and direct our team around the park,Brooks is 100% clueless at knowing how to go about doing this, the #9 position would suit his limited skill set to the point where he might actually find some confidence and a place in the team to be an asset.

Fordy20

Juniors
He'd make a terrific 9.. near bullet proof and 80 mins guaranteed . ..excellent front on defender on the big guys and could just play what's in front of him without worrying about anything else. His short kicking game is ok as well. ..mostly . I really cannot think of a potential downside ...but maybe i'm not looking hard enough.

The downside is the whole reason you guys are discussing him playing hooker: We don't have a better halfback on the books.