What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Morris Quits

His future would be an ongoing distraction for himself and the players. He did the right thing by stepping down his position was untenable.
I'm pretty sure that he didn't step down.
Management did not want the circus of this week going on all season.
I call that good management.
We now have an interim coach who has 19 rounds to prove he is up to it, plus a whole heap of uncontracted players looking to prove their worth to either us or another club.

Vee

First Grade
We now have an interim coach who has 19 rounds to prove he is up to it, plus a whole heap of uncontracted players looking to prove their worth to either us or another club.
Yeah, let's go with that.

typicalfan

Coach
Good management seems to be the thing lacking in this scenario. Good management wouldn't have allowed the media to make a circus out of this.

Let’s hope they get Shane Robinson / Michael Maguire first year Fitzy and not Shaun McRae or Steve Price first year Fitzy.

Eion

First Grade
Yes, yes they are. The best coach at that club is now not coaching, so 100% they are.
A bit like relegating Fifita to reggies for 10 min magoo. Now who made that call?

It’s a cutthroat, results driven, business. Bomber knew this and played the game like everyone else. The hypocrisy is gobsmacking.

Frailty

First Grade
Good management seems to be the thing lacking in this scenario. Good management wouldn't have allowed the media to make a circus out of this.

Out of interest, once the media increased the "who's going to be coach for next season? They need to make a decision" narrative a few weeks ago (guess which camp likely pushed that agenda) - what should the club have done?

Instead of just defaulting to what they currently had, they went out and sought alternatives. They liked an alternative better. They signed him, and made a decision on coach for next season. The club was in a damned if they do or damned if they don't position.

I really feel for John Morris, I do. I liked him. I thought he was a good coach. However, the club has done what they think makes the club better moving forward.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i...g/news-story/19280a1dfdfe3b5523bd04c2b8030547

The Sharks have finally weighed in over their messy break-up with coach John Morris, who was sacked this week when it was announced Craig Fitzgibbon would be taking over at the end of 2021.

The Roosters assistant coach signed a three-year deal reportedly worth around $1.5 million to take charge next season as the club declined to extend Morris’ contract, despite him having guided the team to the finals the past two seasons.

He did so operating $350,000 under the salary cap each year because of penalties handed down by the NRL for previous infringements, and with several high-profile players signed to long-term deals before he arrived either not pulling their weight or being struck down by injury.

There was widespread backlash at the “disgraceful” way Morris was ruthlessly terminated just five rounds into the season, as many fans and pundits accused the club of not being upfront with the coach.

Some of the angst comes from a meeting Morris and his manager had with Sharks CEO Dino Mezzatesta on Monday, after news of Cronulla’s pursuit of Fitzgibbon broke on the weekend. Morris said in an interview on Thursday that meeting was “encouraging” but 24 hours later he was pushed out the door.

That meeting followed reports the club had continually declined to talk to Morris about extending his contract — something Mezzatesta said was “rubbish”.

“It was a positive meeting because we didn’t go at each other’s throats. We had an adult conversation. But it certainly wasn’t me saying, ‘You’re in pole position’,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald about Monday’s meeting.

“But for that to be presented that this was the first time that I have met with him (about his contract) is rubbish. We work together. All I said to John (was), ‘You’ve had the inside lane because you’re the incumbent. The board knows you’.”

Addressing criticism about the way Morris’ sacking has played out, Mezzatesta suggested there’s never a clean break when it comes to parting ways with a coach in the NRL.

“Tell me one in the history of this code that’s been done well,” he said. “When is it an easy decision, in any business? When you make these calls, you do so because you know what’s right for the long-term viability of the club.

“Was it poorly handled? You’re racing against a clock, then trying to calm down a situation that’s already getting out of control, then you get media carnage … as a leader, you have to accelerate the process, and we did.

“We had to accelerate the process because of the carnage that was happening publicly. That’s unfortunate, but that’s our game. The minute we speak to individuals, and more than two people in our game know something, you lose control of the narrative straight away.”

Among the lines being peddled by the club this week include suggestions Morris lacked clarity in his dealings with players when it came to their own contract situations, and struggled to attract marquee players.

Even though they’ve made the finals the past two seasons, the Sharks’ record against other top-eight sides is poor, which may have convinced Cronulla bosses Morris was not the man to take the team to the next level.

Morris’ mum lashed out on social media over the way he was cut loose and the coach spoke on Thursday about his devastation at being sacked.

Dino’s right. Sacking a coach is always ugly. Look at the the departures of Stuart, Fittler and Smith at Easts despite each having varying forms of success, yet the media coverage was softer. It kinda gets accepted or brushed over because Nick and the Roosters board are seen as ruthless. The elite clubs. That’s where Cronulla wanna be.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
A bit like relegating Fifita to reggies for 10 min magoo. Now who made that call?

It’s a cutthroat, results driven, business. Bomber knew this and played the game like everyone else. The hypocrisy is gobsmacking.

What's the hypocritical part?

Slackboy72

Coach
Dino’s right. Sacking a coach is always ugly. Look at the the departures of Stuart, Fittler and Smith at Easts despite each having varying forms of success, yet the media coverage was softer. It kinda gets accepted or brushed over because Nick and the Roosters board are seen as ruthless. The elite clubs. That’s where Cronulla wanna be.

Rick Stuart was sacked at the END of the 2006 season after winning 8 of 24 games.
Chris Anderson stepped down after round 17 of the 2007 season after winning 5 of 17 games.
Brad Fittler was sacked at the END of the 2009 season after winning 5 of 24 games.
Brian Smith was sacked at the END of the 2012 season after winning 8 of 24 games.

Each of these coaches were given a fighting chance and clearly their positions were not tenable.
John Morris had one arm tied behind his back from the start and somehow still made the finals. The sharks over-performed under his watch. And they played some great football.
To sack him after only 5 rounds this year is what people find shit. The time to do it would be three months from now and let him coach out the remainder of the year.

Eion

First Grade
What's the hypocritical part?
Hmm...bomber whinging about being let go when he dumped players that should have been in the team.

Or people whinging that bomber is the best coach in the club and therefore must be retained...when they had no problem with bomber relegating a far superior player in Fifita over magoo even though the best team wasn’t on the paddock.

Take your pick

Rick Stuart was sacked at the END of the 2006 season after winning 8 of 24 games.
Chris Anderson stepped down after round 17 of the 2007 season after winning 5 of 17 games.
Brad Fittler was sacked at the END of the 2009 season after winning 5 of 24 games.
Brian Smith was sacked at the END of the 2012 season after winning 8 of 24 games.

Each of these coaches were given a fighting chance and clearly their positions were not tenable.
John Morris had one arm tied behind his back from the start and somehow still made the finals. The sharks over-performed under his watch. And they played some great football.
To sack him after only 5 rounds this year is what people find shit. The time to do it would be three months from now and let him coach out the remainder of the year.
Don’t agree. Wasn’t good enough and had to go.

No point beating around the bush.

Getting ruthless is the only way now.

I disagree and think he was given a fair go. No one was expecting him to win the comp with the roster constraints imposed on him. His record against top eight teams however was rubbish and there were/are no signs that he’ll take Cronulla to the next level. To respond to your above, Trent Robinson could’ve been given the flick after the disastrous 2016 season if Stuart (who had more good years than bad) is a case to go by. The club demands for success is well documented. The board however were privy at what went on behind the scenes and their faith in him never wavered. The Sharks board are equally privy at what goes on behind the scenes at Cronulla. And love ‘em or hate ‘em for it but through their dealings with him, they don’t think he’s a next level coach. So much so they’ve put their arses on the line.

Latest posts