What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Oaks at Freemans Waterhole, used to be Oaks at Peats Ridge and Hexham when you did the drive up north on the old Pacific Hwy. Just stopped the Oaks Freemans Waterhole on the way to the Hunter Valley, beautiful smell of stale fat greets you when you open the door but even though its not quite the same as back in the 70s there is something comforting about places like this surviving. Just had a crumbed lamb cutlet, think i will regret it later but nice at the time and a bit of a nostalgia trip, did pass at the idea of a crumbed chicken leg though, they didnt look great lol, was hoping they had a crumbed sausage which i used to love.

Last edited:
Hi Folks.

Seeking help with a memory of a show that used be on in the 80’s which had an intro that’d spook the absolute crap out of me as a kid...

I’ll describe as best I can, hoping someone can tell me the show.... been bugging me for a few days now..

So - it was a “mysteries show” which was a docuseries on things like supernatural stuff, crimes/lost people, civilisations etc. From memory it was one of those shows that would be shown on a Saturday / Sunday arvo.,.

The intro music was a proper “horror-show-type” of instrumental... and part of the sequence of scenes was an old black n white horror movie with a “demon figure” turning to face the camera, over a body lying motionless in bed... presumably dead... something like out of a Lon Chaney / Boris Karloff movie...

Now thought it show was “Great mysteries of the world”... narrated by Leonard Nimoy but when I looked it up, the intro was completely different... in the USA that show was called “In Search of”.... the premise of this show n the one I’m trying to remember was pretty much the same...

Can anyone help???

Is it possible that the show I’m trying to find is indeed Great mysteries of the world but could have had a different intro...

This is the intro I keep finding.... the “horror one” I’ve tried to describe is the one I’m trying to remember / search for..

Go to admit the first thing that sprung to mind was indeed In Search Of...

cheers..

Yeah I could have sworn that was the show (even though is was “Great mysteries of the world” here)... but the intros of this and what I’m trying to find are very different...

I do remember the “in search of” intro having now seen it again....

And now... I remember that Scott Lambert used to do an intro ... so possibly on channel 7...

EDIT - Scott Lambert .. he hosted “The world around us”... not what I’m looking for... but he did do the intro also to “Great mysteries of the world”

Last edited:

crocodile

Bench
Hi Folks.

Seeking help with a memory of a show that used be on in the 80’s which had an intro that’d spook the absolute crap out of me as a kid...

I’ll describe as best I can, hoping someone can tell me the show.... been bugging me for a few days now..

So - it was a “mysteries show” which was a docuseries on things like supernatural stuff, crimes/lost people, civilisations etc. From memory it was one of those shows that would be shown on a Saturday / Sunday arvo.,.

The intro music was a proper “horror-show-type” of instrumental... and part of the sequence of scenes was an old black n white horror movie with a “demon figure” turning to face the camera, over a body lying motionless in bed... presumably dead... something like out of a Lon Chaney / Boris Karloff movie...

Now thought it show was “Great mysteries of the world”... narrated by Leonard Nimoy but when I looked it up, the intro was completely different... in the USA that show was called “In Search of”.... the premise of this show n the one I’m trying to remember was pretty much the same...

Can anyone help???

Is it possible that the show I’m trying to find is indeed Great mysteries of the world but could have had a different intro...

This is the intro I keep finding.... the “horror one” I’ve tried to describe is the one I’m trying to remember / search for..

The Night Stalker had an opening of a transforming face and a body. Don't know if it is your specimen though. It was also mid '70s but could be later by the time it got here.

Jim Rockford

Bench
The Night Stalker had an opening of a transforming face and a body. Don't know if it is your specimen though. It was also mid '70s but could be later by the time it got here.
Night Stalker was here in the mid 70s but it doesn't fit the description given. If it was the show I believe he would have mentioned the character whistling the theme song.

horrie hastings

First Grade
You knew they had good stuff to eat and drink by the amount of buses and coaches that used to stop there. Oh and I was a chocolate milkshake man (also malted).

Also they were good spot to break up the trip. I remember there was a place at Tuggarah on the old Pacific Hwy just before you got to Wyong that used to adverise 5c fish pieces, they then went up to 10c, it always seemed closed when we drove past, did get to try it once though when an old school mate of mine moved up to Wyong and i stayed up there for school holidays.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Also they were good spot to break up the trip. I remember there was a place at Tuggarah on the old Pacific Hwy just before you got to Wyong that used to adverise 5c fish pieces, they then went up to 10c, it always seemed closed when we drove past, did get to try it once though when an old school mate of mine moved up to Wyong and i stayed up there for school holidays.
Haha, I remember the 5c fish pieces. Never got to try them because,as you said, whenever we tried to stop there they were always closed.

cheers mate, appreciate the post. Def wasn’t this one though...

I’m getting more inclination that is was In search of / Great mysteries of the world but with an alternate intro... that was scary as f***

Jim Rockford

Bench
cheers mate, appreciate the post. Def wasn’t this one though...

I’m getting more inclination that is was In search of / Great mysteries of the world but with an alternate intro... that was scary as f***
I actually remember there were episodes of In Search Of... that did have an alternate title and intro. I'll just have to rack my brain to see if I can remember what that alternate title was.